Mallozzi and Mullie out as Transporter Showrunners

Inara

GateFans Noob
NO that is not the case, the reason for this is discrimination by the us market ie that it is more important and as such networks and right holders delay the release of these shows for months so european networks cannot buy them until then have been airing for about a season or more.

I know the US networks like airing their own programs because they can, at least in theory, make more money that way. I'm not sure why they'd want to delay the release to European networks, because it would be another source of income, both from airing rights and then DVD sales later. It also increases the chances their potential audience will have watched it via other methods in which they don't make money.

Networks and studios seems to have a weird way of thinking about pirating. They complain about how much money it costs them in sales, yet if they're the ones holding back on release dates, they're part of the problem. People these days are used to talking about TV and movies online as they're released with the rest world, not just around the watercooler at work.

I can cut them some slack in countries where translation work has to be done, but there's no other reason I can see for such delays. I also know part of it in some cases (especially movies for their various premieres) is they want the actors to do publicity in various countries, and they can only be in one place at a time.

S

Stonelesscutter

I know the US networks like airing their own programs because they can, at least in theory, make more money that way. I'm not sure why they'd want to delay the release to European networks, because it would be another source of income, both from airing rights and then DVD sales later. It also increases the chances their potential audience will have watched it via other methods in which they don't make money.

Networks and studios seems to have a weird way of thinking about pirating. They complain about how much money it costs them in sales, yet if they're the ones holding back on release dates, they're part of the problem. People these days are used to talking about TV and movies online as they're released with the rest world, not just around the watercooler at work.

I can cut them some slack in countries where translation work has to be done, but there's no other reason I can see for such delays. I also know part of it in some cases (especially movies for their various premieres) is they want the actors to do publicity in various countries, and they can only be in one place at a time.

I remember the last time I saw commercials promoting a new show that caught my intention. It was for Castle. It looked interesting to me. I then proceeded to search online and I had downloaded and watched the entire first season of it before the first episode ever aired around here. That's a good example of the marketing failure in my opinion. I don't even know if the show is presently still being aired here. Not that I care coz I want to see the new episodes when they are first aired, not a year later.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

i agree its SERIOUSLY F'ed up imo as they are basicly feeding the pirate scene here in the EU and beyond.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The delays are artificial and the studios deserve to lose money and audience share if they continue with them. Look at SGU...in season 1, the ENTIRE SEASON was already in the can and ready to go by the time the third episode aired (the premiere was episodes 1 and 2). There was a gap of several months FOR NO REASON for season 1.5 other than to have a gap. I distinctly remember Mallozzi trying to imply that the production crew was working on the second half of the season, and he even fielded questions about the second half. Its HERE. It was an unnecessary break. And because the studios dont seem to be aware of how aware the audiences are, they must think that nobody knows what they are doing. WRONG. If I hear that something was released in Europe that is (for some stupid reason) being held back here, I simply download it from a European source and don't skip a beat.

Inara

GateFans Noob
The delays are artificial and the studios deserve to lose money and audience share if they continue with them. Look at SGU...in season 1, the ENTIRE SEASON was already in the can and ready to go by the time the third episode aired (the premiere was episodes 1 and 2). There was a gap of several months FOR NO REASON for season 1.5 other than to have a gap.

I took it to mean the cast was done with filming, but they were still doing post production work. Not just f/x, but looping voices, adding music, etc. Just my interpretation, but I thought they meant primary work was done and they needed to finish out some of the later episodes.

SyFy is the one who likes the gap so much and they've been doing it for years. For a while, it made sort of sense when they were trying to counter-program by airing new episodes during the breaks taken by the broadcast networks. The idea was to increase the chances that new viewers would stumble upon their show if the broadcast networks were showing repeats, and it worked to an extent.

Of course then the problem was the gaps would be so long that people would forget the show, think it was cancelled, think they'd missed new episodes, etc. People got so used to these long gaps that I recall one Farscape fan who was not online asking me when we'd finally get new episodes long after Peacekeeper Wars aired. They'd thought that was a special event and there was still another season... eventually. I had to break it to her that the miniseries was the end, and she was about ready to cancel her cable service after hearing the news.

I think what really chaps me is seeing those "Season 1.0" DVD sets, followed by "Season 1.5" months later. No thanks, I'll wait until they're all in one case and probably cheaper too. I know the thinking is to get people watching and interested in the show so they'll watch when new episodes begin, but with big schedule gaps, new viewers might just get frustrated and wait for the DVDS to come out and rent instead of buy. I know I've done that with many shows.

Maybe we should start some sort of venting thread about withholding broadcasts and DVDs, plus some bitching about region coding too. I'm really baffled about seeing some TV series that are released in Canada only, even though it's the same region as the US. I guess it has to do with Canadian production companies wanting to make some money back, but US distributors don't want to deal with it, because it's probably a niche show. If Americans want it bad enough, they'll just go to Amazon.ca or elsewhere.