Male/female viewer ratio of SGU

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Things got too serious with Browder. And then they brought whatsherface from Farscape with him...

At that point, it kindasorta turned into StarScape.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Whatsherface is the always delightful Claudia Black. She was marvelous in Farscape and also in SG-1.

Browder was the issue not her.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Yes, I know it was Claudia Black.

The point I was trying to make was that they were trying to draw in Farscape viewers by saying "Look! It's Farscape...but not!"

Browder's too "serious" an actor for a show like SG1. His character was so much more standoffish than Jack. The reason the SG1 team worked was because of their chemistry and the fact that they were like a family.

Browder, bless him, didn't have that chemistry.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked Browder in SG-1

Yes, I know it was Claudia Black.

The point I was trying to make was that they were trying to draw in Farscape viewers by saying "Look! It's Farscape...but not!"

Browder's too "serious" an actor for a show like SG1. His character was so much more standoffish than Jack. The reason the SG1 team worked was because of their chemistry and the fact that they were like a family.

Browder, bless him, didn't have that chemistry.

I liked Browder in SG-1, and I liked Jack all the way up to Stargate Universe. But MY Jack is now the SGU pod-Jack and he no longer appeals to me. :(

I really think they got Jewel Staite because she had been on Firefly. Same with Morena Baccharin. There is a LOT of Firefly ripoff material in the form of set design/look/feel inside Destiny. If you didnt know it, the interior of Destiny could easily be Serenity (but more ugly).

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I liked Browder in SG-1, and I liked Jack all the way up to Stargate Universe. But MY Jack is now the SGU pod-Jack and he no longer appeals to me. :(

I really think they got Jewel Staite because she had been on Firefly.
When I wants my Captain Tightpants, I watch Castle...

And "pod-Jack"? Seems appropriate.

Maybe they're all from some alternate universe, a la Star Trek...so it's EVIL Jack (without the beard).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
When I wants my Captain Tightpants, I watch Castle...

And "pod-Jack"? Seems appropriate.

Maybe they're all from some alternate universe, a la Star Trek...so it's EVIL Jack (without the beard).

A la "Evil Ash" from "Army of Darkness" (a film everyone should see - it is great)?

Nani

GateFans Noob
I know other's opinions may differ, but the humor wasn't the same after RDA left.

Sigh...

Shep stepped into his shoes somewhat. When I saw the two of them in that chopper in Rising & then watched Shep develop, I thought of him as a total Jack clone because of the similar brand of humour. Of course that opinion changed soon enough. :P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Well, that explains the puny SGU action on LJ, which is mostly female orientated. SGA fandom was huge in its time and is still fairly large.

And no, there is no eye candy. I don't know in what universe Lt Scott is considered attractive (how far from Earth are they? 4 billion lightyears?), but I'm sorry no, too immature, too baby faced to play a convincing marine or whatever the heck he is. Col. Young, married, cheats on his wife, depressed, manic, agressive, not a winner either. Rush? Let's not even go there - we have a thread.
That leaves Eli, the one guy they selected to be the unattractive geek. It's sort of pathetic if you have to root for the bad guys to take over the ship so there is at least something good to look at.

And there are tons of shows with strong female characters, NCIS, Burn Notice, Chuck, Nikita, The Closer. The female characters on SGU can't hold a candle to them. Funny thing is, Mallozzi mentioned in his blog they have a female (part time) writer on their staff for SGU. She looks about 19 and got blamed for the infamous stoneswap sex scene between lesbian Camile Wray and Rush - which later got cut after much objection from (mostly) SGA fans. How convenient.

yep, now if they had Mike Dupod as the leader...but then he wouldn't be a bounder like Young is! :P whoever came up with the idea that a colonel who knocks up an underling would be in a top secret program???? they thoroughly vet (ie do indepth background checks) people who are under consideration for that classification. :P:P

Ahhh BSG... my love affair with awesome story began there :D Female leads/characters that actually have POWER and have to use it in plot relevant ways adds a dynamic which can be very difficult to write for a man in this american culture.

Sociologically speaking, there are many things which are nurtured into our ways of thinking before we can question it. Roslin was a g-damned school teacher with cancer. Most writers would have turned her into a blubbering weeping pot. RDM and his crew turned her into the Icy Madam Airlock! I'll NEVER forget how well acted "Blood on the Scales" was when Roslin screams "I'm coming for you!" after she thinks Adama has been killed. Brilliance.

Or Starbuck just continually fighting against everything including herself, but still kicking ass when needed.

yep roselin was my favorite BSG character. You could see the growth of her character.,..as the education secretary discovered she was all that was left of the gov't. Great acting and amazing writing!

Another thing that is nurtured into our ways of thinking is that women over 50 can't be sexy. I think Roslin was, but never in ten million years would TPTB of SGU write a character like that! She didn't even have hair when they showed her in the sack with Adama. And of course, Ellen Tigh who turned out to be the mastermind behind the whole humanoid cylon "race", as well as her previous identity as an alcoholic cougar.

SGU is not half so cutting edge as TPTB imagines it to be. What they write is controversial to some, but that doesn't make it cutting edge. It's actually kind of juvenile and predictable- "Look! We showed people banging in the closet!"
"We have gays!"
"An airman was knocked up by her CO!"

But I'm still waiting for them to create a scene like this:

Admiral Cain, (upon seeing her former lover Gina with a gun pointing in Cain's face): "Oh.. fuck me."
Gina: "You're not my type."
KABOOM!

Now, that's writing!!

speaking as a near fifty woman...yes we still have sex and can be damn sexy!
emevilgrin49.gif
but since tptb consider BJS as a hot guy...methinks they aren't enlightened enough to get a clue! :P

One of the competition of SGU is NCIS LA. SGU is clearly losing in the eye candy department against it. And it is not only that. The characters of NCIS LA are really likeable and they are friends with each other. They are also a team and comrades, who are doing everything for each other. NCIS LA is practically SG1/SGA without the science fiction part. I am sure that even among those women, who love science fiction, a lot of prefer watching NCIS LA over SGU.

You nailed it! NCIS:LA has what sgpoo missing so of course there are 14 million people watching NCIS:LA vs the bare (submillion this week! We hope we hope!) million who watch sgpoo. :P

I really think they got Jewel Staite because she had been on Firefly. Same with Morena Baccharin. There is a LOT of Firefly ripoff material in the form of set design/look/feel inside Destiny. If you didnt know it, the interior of Destiny could easily be Serenity (but more ugly).

I too enjoyed ben browder. i enjoyed the stories that has a leading character (man, in this case) it was obvious how limiting RDA's lack of presence on the 7th and 8 th seasons were. Ben Browder cam in with new energy and his own brand of charm. ok I admit I like BB in part because he is a cowboy...gotta love theose cowboys! :D He has that southern charm. :)

I think tptb wanted to recreate Firefly but haven't the talent to do it!

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
No eye candy is a big mistake...

Showing my shallow side yet again, I just have to reiterate, no hot men on SGU is one of the shows biggest mistakes. Of course the writing and overall direction of the show is an even bigger mistake, but, I am not in the least surprised more women are not tuning in. Some good eye candy will get me to excuse a lot of really crappy writing and plot holes, and there are some shows I watch that I would NEVER watch if it weren't for the eye candy. Case in point I am watching the SGU episodes with Mike Dupod in them (although I use the fast forward button a lot to skip over everything else). Maybe guys are the same - that could be why more guys are actually watching SGU each week - since there are hot chicks.

@Illiterati & Nani - haha, us girls think alike :) Nathan Fillion is the only reason I watch Castle! And Adam Baldwin does an awesome job on Chuck.

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
Showing my shallow side yet again, I just have to reiterate, no hot men on SGU is one of the shows biggest mistakes. Of course the writing and overall direction of the show is an even bigger mistake, but, I am not in the least surprised more women are not tuning in. Some good eye candy will get me to excuse a lot of really crappy writing and plot holes, and there are some shows I watch that I would NEVER watch if it weren't for the eye candy. Case in point I am watching the SGU episodes with Mike Dupod in them (although I use the fast forward button a lot to skip over everything else). Maybe guys are the same - that could be why more guys are actually watching SGU each week - since there are hot chicks.

@Illiterati & Nani - haha, us girls think alike :) Nathan Fillion is the only reason I watch Castle! And Adam Baldwin does an awesome job on Chuck.

I think if they're going to have an attractive cast, then do it equally for both sexes. SGA and SGA always had amazingly attractive casts, but if SGU didn't want to go that route, that's fine with me. Unfortunately, the message SGU sends is that the WOMEN have to be attractive, but for the men it's optional. I see that a lot with other TV shows, too. Primarily the ones aimed at male viewers- crime shows for instance.

I think that's why I like the cast of WH13 so much. Yes, the cast is nice-looking but I wouldn't say hot. And Mrs. Frederick and Artie are attractive characters because their stage presence isn't confined to being good-looking or not- it's the sum total of their personalities, appearance, etc. When I watch that show, they're like family. When I watch SG-1, they're heroes. Either way makes for good TV watching, IMHO.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
He's very good at being a pouty 9 year old, isn't he? I do enjoy the storylines for Castle. One of my SG1 SGA loving friends and I call one another after Castle is over and talk over the episode.

Keep in mind that I'm in my mid to late forties and she's 59.

He really IS ruggedly handsome!

(and yes, she's madly in love with Captain Tightpants as well.)

A Nonny Mouse

GateFans Noob
Can I just say for me it isn't all about good looks. It's about charisma. I think Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock & Matt Smith on Doctor Who are totally hot. However, neither would win prizes in the looks department against the "square jawed hero" type. However, charisma... they both have it in spades. The cast of SGU just don't measure up in any way, shape or form.

Nani

GateFans Noob

Castle is a good example :P And Mike Dupod was a fantastic Runner in SGA's Tracker (although Keller spoiled that epi :evil:) - they could have make a whole spin off based just on that idea, IMO. And as far as I can tell, he's the ONLY eye-candy on SGU. But you've pointed out quite correctly - there are just too many problems with SGU beyond that.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
I actually didn't mind Ben Browder in SG1 and I think Claudia Black did a great job of filling in the humor vacuum left by RDA. The interaction between Vala (sp?) and Daniel worked really well I thought. Daniel was always a stick in the mud I thought but Vala really made him part of a comedic team in a way.

Night Fury

GateFans Noob
Can I just say for me it isn't all about good looks. It's about charisma. I think Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock & Matt Smith on Doctor Who are totally hot. However, neither would win prizes in the looks department against the "square jawed hero" type. However, charisma... they both have it in spades. The cast of SGU just don't measure up in any way, shape or form.

I agree it is more than looks but even then SGU still has nothing to offer.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Who are the crazy people in the fandom? The women. We're the ones squeeing our asses off an conventions. I was part of an older ladies SG forums and the older ladies just don't seem to like SGU.:P

Nani

GateFans Noob
The show is SEXIST, just like Maureen Ryan said in her initial review of Stargate Universe. Why would a self-respecting confident woman watch this show? Even soap operas have stronger women characters. And from what I have read from the awesome women on THIS site :), there isnt much for them to look at in terms of eye candy either. Chloe isnt exactly a paragon of decency on this show. She plays on Eli, sleeps with Scott, plots with Rush, but the fish aliens give her an STD?! Perhaps she went through the entire crew of the fish-ship and half the Icarus staff before ending up on Destiny?

BINGO! :icon_lol: Seriously, SGU is written mostly by middle-aged white men. It appeals mostly - because of all its nonsensical "action" & "adventure" - to young males, who probably also like wrestling. It has absolutely NOTHING for me, a female fan in the middle of the 18-45 age demographic. No square-jawed heros, no female characters I can identify with, no humour, no nice & neat resolutions at the end of a 45 minute episode... :rolleyes:

It's funny how the fanboys say that there are strong women on sgu but give zero evidence, as if their word is magically good enough. :D
Wray is a weak and ineffectual leader. TJ is defined by her womb and her affair with Young. James gets the boobie cam and weeps over Scott. Chloe is so worthless that the best the fans can talk about is whether she will get with Scott or Eli. WHERE ARE THE STRONG WOMEN ON THIS SHOW?