"Let Me In"

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1228987/

Just saw this movie and really liked it. It's horror, but not your usual slasher gore fest. There's an actual story here and characters with amazing depth. It is bloody and not for the squeamish but like I said there's a story here and it all makes sense. The violence isn't mindless or pointless. What's amazing about this film is that by the end you might actually be rooting for the "bad guy" even though you're not rooting against the good guys. Don't want to give away too many spoilers.

So, if we have any horror fans here I highly recommend this film. I saw the American version although I think there's an earlier Swedish version, both of which are adapted from the Swedish book "Let the Right One In". Could make for some interesting discussion for one of your "rewatches".

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Thanks for the tip Ape. :cool:

This one is available on NetFlix too. You can always throw it up on the rewatch thread if you want. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
And when are we going to see your August self grace us with a rewatch Ape?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
When I can match my schedule properly and make sure I have the movie in question. Hey GF. for some reason I just figured that you would know of this movie "Let Me In". Are you familiar with it?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thanks for the tip Ape. :cool:

This one is available on NetFlix too. You can always throw it up on the rewatch thread if you want. ;)

Do you guys do horror on your rewatches? This one is fairly dark and is rather bloody, which usually doesn't appeal to me, but the story is so good and it's produced so well that this one gets a thumbs up. There's a car accident scene that is just amazing in the way it's filmed. Usually SFX don't thrill me but this particular scene was really kick ass. I was like "Wow!".

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have heard of it, but never seen it...........

Hmm,just checked, I think I was thinking of a different flick
nope, you got me dude, but it does sound like my kind of thing.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Do you guys do horror on your rewatches? This one is fairly dark and is rather bloody, which usually doesn't appeal to me, but the story is so good and it's produced so well that this one gets a thumbs up. There's a car accident scene that is just amazing in the way it's filmed. Usually SFX don't thrill me but this particular scene was really kick ass. I was like "Wow!".

We will do horror, just no one has really gone for one yet.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have heard of it, but never seen it...........

Hmm,just checked, I think I was thinking of a different flick
nope, you got me dude, but it does sound like my kind of thing.

I guess I thought of you because I think you said you liked dark stuff such as Stephen King and Lovecraft, etc. This flick reminded me of early Stephen King type writing.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I've been planning on watching this for some time now, but since I've already watched the original Swedish version, and I loved it, I highly doubt that I'll like this more. In my experience, Hollywood remakes of small independent or foreign films tend to be worse than the original. Sure, the budget and effects get improved, but somewhere along the line it loses the charm of the original and just becomes another of those mass produced Hollywood films. Granted this is a new adaption of the novel, but I think that I'll have a similar experience with it. Though reading the general plot of this movie, I am a bit peeved that they completely moved the setting from a small stockholm suburb to somewhere in America. I mean it's not like the audience need to know about the location to be able to identify with the story, so why bother changing it in the first place? The upcoming Hollywood adaption of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sure ain't bothering with a whole change of scenery.

SciphonicStranger

Yep, we've done several horror flicks. These include Batman & Robin and The Toxic Avenger which were horror for everyone involved. :P :D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I guess I thought of you because I think you said you liked dark stuff such as Stephen King and Lovecraft, etc. This flick reminded me of early Stephen King type writing.

Sure, big horror fan here :)
hmm, sounds somewhat reminicent of bits of "Salem's lot", which was the first SK book I read back in primary school :P

And YOU liking something even remotely "king-ish", HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Thats funny :D

Horror flicks are VERY hit and miss, some just go for the excessive gore or they are just a little "too funny", Real, actual Horror or Terror is exceedingly hard to right, it's just one of those Genres that generally does not translate to screen well unfortunately.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sure, big horror fan here :)
hmm, sounds somewhat reminicent of bits of "Salem's lot", which was the first SK book I read back in primary school :P

And YOU liking something even remotely "king-ish", HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Thats funny :D

Horror flicks are VERY hit and miss, some just go for the excessive gore or they are just a little "too funny", Real, actual Horror or Terror is exceedingly hard to right, it's just one of those Genres that generally does not translate to screen well unfortunately.

Actually I like early Stephen King a lot. Most everything he's done since Pet Semetary has been crap though. Most people don't know that he originated the vampire gimmick of needing to be invited in, or so he gets credit for it.

As for horror flicks, I almost never see them because they are always such crap. I find senseless gore to be depraved and sickening so I skip most of todays horror offerings. I do find gems every now and then such as "Frailty" starring Bill Paxton. I remember hearing about it and thinking it had to be pure trash because it sounded so sick but then I saw it and was impressed. It's horrific but all the violence and gore is there for a reason other than to just be gory. So, if you haven't seen that one put it on your que.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I've been planning on watching this for some time now, but since I've already watched the original Swedish version, and I loved it, I highly doubt that I'll like this more. In my experience, Hollywood remakes of small independent or foreign films tend to be worse than the original. Sure, the budget and effects get improved, but somewhere along the line it loses the charm of the original and just becomes another of those mass produced Hollywood films. Granted this is a new adaption of the novel, but I think that I'll have a similar experience with it. Though reading the general plot of this movie, I am a bit peeved that they completely moved the setting from a small stockholm suburb to somewhere in America. I mean it's not like the audience need to know about the location to be able to identify with the story, so why bother changing it in the first place? The upcoming Hollywood adaption of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sure ain't bothering with a whole change of scenery.

Actually "Let Me In" was an independent movie that didn't have a big, Hollywood budget. They did a great job of it though. As for the location, well, it just helps the American/Canadian viewers to relate to it. The funny thing was that it's supposed to take place in New Mexico but every scene was laden with snow and one doesn't really associate New Mexico with snow. I think it was the producers way of paying homage to the story's Swedish roots as it has a very Nordic feel.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yep, we've done several horror flicks. These include Batman & Robin and The Toxic Avenger which were horror for everyone involved. :P :D

Oh that's...that's just...that's just bad. :icon_eek:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Actually I like early Stephen King a lot. Most everything he's done since Pet Semetary has been crap though. Most people don't know that he originated the vampire gimmick of needing to be invited in, or so he gets credit for it.
:eek:
Actually, the invite thing has been around for a LONG time, just it was all but a forgotten peice of vampire lore (inviting evil into your heart type stuff)

As for horror flicks, I almost never see them because they are always such crap. I find senseless gore to be depraved and sickening so I skip most of todays horror offerings. I do find gems every now and then such as "Frailty" starring Bill Paxton. I remember hearing about it and thinking it had to be pure trash because it sounded so sick but then I saw it and was impressed. It's horrific but all the violence and gore is there for a reason other than to just be gory. So, if you haven't seen that one put it on your que.
Yeah, thats exactly what I mean, true Horror does not come from blood and guts, revulsion yes, but not horror. horror is a very hard thing to do right. I think one of the best "horror flicks" is Silence of the lambs, that was true horror and terror.

SciphonicStranger

Yeah, thats exactly what I mean, true Horror does not come from blood and guts, revulsion yes, but not horror. horror is a very hard thing to do right. I think one of the best "horror flicks" is Silence of the lambs, that was true horror and terror.

It is hard to do them right. Not exactly a horror flick, but I will watch "Jaws" whenever it is on because they managed to merge terror into a great story brilliantly. :cool:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
:eek:
Actually, the invite thing has been around for a LONG time, just it was all but a forgotten peice of vampire lore (inviting evil into your heart type stuff)

Ah, then he resurrected and popularized that trait in Salem's Lot. It wasn't depicted in movies and stories (that I read) that were pre-King but it started to be used a lot as a vampire trait aftet that King story. But then again the whole vampire mythos has been tweaked and twisted and changed since its inception. I mean, we now have vampires that sparkle. :roll: God only knows if they did in the past.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ah, then he resurrected and popularized that trait in Salem's Lot. It wasn't depicted in movies and stories (that I read) that were pre-King but it started to be used a lot as a vampire trait aftet that King story. But then again the whole vampire mythos has been tweaked and twisted and changed since its inception. I mean, we now have vampires that sparkle. :roll: God only knows if they did in the past.

Sparkely vamps, bah, you will derail this to FH dude :P
The vamp myths are pretty convoluted and strange, but considering thier origins as reflections of our own "inner beast" it's heardly suprising.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sparkely vamps, bah, you will derail this to FH dude :P
The vamp myths are pretty convoluted and strange, but considering thier origins as reflections of our own "inner beast" it's heardly suprising.

That's pretty much the theme of any horror story with a monster in it. The "monster" is us. You'd think this theme would have gotten tired-out by now but people keep coming up with different ways to show it. Consider werewolf movies where the guy is so conflicted about the beast that lives within. Talk about a metaphor for human nature. There's been some good story telling with the werewolf genre. The movie Silver Bullet still scares me to this day.