Land of The Giant's

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
This show had me glued when I was a kid but seeing it now , it is so cheap and cheesy lol . To think I used to have the plastic model for this show but I have no idea where or when I lost it . The Time Tunnel/ Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ( had the sub model too ) were other one's that as a kid you just could not wait for the next episode . Things where so simple back then and easy on a young kids mind . I sure miss those silly Si-Fi shows from the 60's .
icon7.gif

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

This show had me glued when I was a kid but seeing it now , it is so cheap and cheesy lol . To think I used to have the plastic model for this show but I have no idea where or when I lost it . The Time Tunnel/ Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ( had the sub model too ) were other one's that as a kid you just could not wait for the next episode . Things where so simple back then and easy on a young kids mind . I sure miss those silly Si-Fi shows from the 70tys .
icon7.gif

Yeah same here - along with the original Lost In Space............... damn I love that show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, there was a whole slew of shows I loved during those times!

This show had me glued when I was a kid but seeing it now , it is so cheap and cheesy lol . To think I used to have the plastic model for this show but I have no idea where or when I lost it . The Time Tunnel/ Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ( had the sub model too ) were other one's that as a kid you just could not wait for the next episode . Things where so simple back then and easy on a young kids mind . I sure miss those silly Si-Fi shows from the 70tys .
icon7.gif

I loved all of those. Plus, The Invaders. I watched Land of the Giants, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, the original Outer Limits (in black and white too!). The model of the Spindrift from Land of the Giants was very popular as was the USS Enterprise from Star Trek. Also, the moon lander model from Revell. Just the MENTION of those shows brought back memories for me!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
that is what I miss about the original scifi channel- the old reruns. I remember watching Time Tunnel and Invaders on it in the late 90's. They reran the old real scifi shows and not this reality tv /90210 shit! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The original Sci Fi Channel was the reason I wanted cable in the first place.

that is what I miss about the original scifi channel- the old reruns. I remember watching Time Tunnel and Invaders on it in the late 90's. They reran the old real scifi shows and not this reality tv /90210 shit! :P

The only reason I wanted cable was to have the Sci Fi Channel and Discovery. Also, one of the selling points that cable had in the beginning was (get this, folks who dont know) NO COMMERCIALS. That lasted about 3 years before the first commercials started showing up on cable. But the Sci Fi Channel shows Time Tunnel, Invaders, Outer Limits and just about every Godzilla and cheesy B movie ever made. I LOVED IT! The Syfy Channel is as different from Sci Fi Channel as SGU was different from Stargate. Its revenue leader is WRESTLING now? Really? :facepalm:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
The only reason I wanted cable was to have the Sci Fi Channel and Discovery. Also, one of the selling points that cable had in the beginning was (get this, folks who dont know) NO COMMERCIALS. That lasted about 3 years before the first commercials started showing up on cable. But the Sci Fi Channel shows Time Tunnel, Invaders, Outer Limits and just about every Godzilla and cheesy B movie ever made. I LOVED IT! The Syfy Channel is as different from Sci Fi Channel as SGU was different from Stargate. Its revenue leader is WRESTLING now? Really? :facepalm:

Oh yes I remember the lies we were told which is why I REFUSE to watch any commercials (I am a serial channel flipper- i wear out the mute button on remots I swear) because i am PAYING For the cable so NO COMMERCIALS is what I was promised! :P Do you remember when TBS first came on the air- it started shows 5 mins after the hour...brilliant ploy if the other shows didn't grab you- you could flip to tbs and not miss anything! :D

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
That was the thing about ST when it came out — it wasn't another cheesy Irwin Allen show. I just grabbed the Adams Family on DVD. Oh man what was I thinking? I guess it WAS funny when I was 10.

As for TBS the best part was several years ago when they had those Monkey shorts. They were damned hilarious. I think they ended when the monkeys went to work for Jim Menard. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8LuUwQzWpo&feature=related

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Irwin Allen was the king of sci-fi shows in the 60's...Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, Swiss Family Robinson...

I miss the hokey stuff he put out.

I remember reading about how they would get the actors to pitch back and forth in Voyage...they would bang on a bucket and the cast would go one way...bang again, they'd head the other direction.

LOL

I think it was David Hedison who shared that bit of tv history.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
That was the thing about ST when it came out — it wasn't another cheesy Irwin Allen show. I just grabbed the Adams Family on DVD. Oh man what was I thinking? I guess it WAS funny when I was 10.

As for TBS the best part was several years ago when they had those Monkey shorts. They were damned hilarious. I think they ended when the monkeys went to work for Jim Menard. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8LuUwQzWpo&feature=related
There used to be a Saturday morning show called Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp.

I remember thinking that was good/funny.

Of course, I grew up watching Land of the Lost, Lidsville, HR Pufinstuf (I hated that Freddie the Flute), the Bugaloos, etc. So my judgment at that time is rather questionable.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Another 60's Show

There used to be a Saturday morning show called Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp.

I remember thinking that was good/funny.

Of course, I grew up watching Land of the Lost, Lidsville, HR Pufinstuf (I hated that Freddie the Flute), the Bugaloos, etc. So my judgment at that time is rather questionable.

I just remembered this one .

It's About Time

http://www.tvparty.com/recits.html

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I just remembered this one .

It's About Time

http://www.tvparty.com/recits.html
Now I'm thinking of Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Shazam, Isis and all those live action Saturday morning show.

I'm trying to remember when Saturday morning went to hell in a handbasket. First, they started editing the violence out of the Bugs Bunny Show and it devolved from there. I loved Scooby Doo before that little **** Scrappy Doo showed up (and loved on Harvey Birdman Attorney At Law when his bird, Avenger, flew off with the little shit). I watched The Funky Phantom, Speed Buggy, George of the Jungle, Superchicken, Tom Slick, Rocky and Bullwinkle (which originally ran at night for adults)...

I'm feeling maudlin, I guess...

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
ISIS

Now I'm thinking of Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Shazam, Isis and all those live action Saturday morning show.

I'm feeling maudlin, I guess...

Hell yah for ISIS ( Oh Mighty ISIS ! ) Now that was enjoyable for a boy just reaching puberty to watch . Was madly in love with her !!!! And I dream of Genie and Barbera Feldon from Get Smart , Maryann from Giligans Island , Misses Peal from the Avengers , Lt Ohura from Star Trek , Bat Girl , Wonder Woman .
These were real woman not like the hollywood stick poles of today .

beckett_new049.gif

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Hell yah for ISIS ( Oh Mighty ISIS ! ) Now that was enjoyable for a boy just reaching puberty to watch . Was madly in love with her !!!! And I dream of Genie and Barbera Feldon from Get Smart , Maryann from Giligans Island , Misses Peal from the Avengers , Lt Ohura from Star Trek , Bat Girl , Wonder Woman .
These were real woman not like the hollywood stick poles of today .

beckett_new049.gif
And who can forget Stefanie Powers as "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.?

They tried so hard to do a spin-off of the wildly popular "The Man from U.N.C.L.E" and it just didn't fly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ever seen this pilot clip for Batgirl?

And who can forget Stefanie Powers as "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.?

They tried so hard to do a spin-off of the wildly popular "The Man from U.N.C.L.E" and it just didn't fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDnlrfq5tQE

:)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Cute clip, but with proviso:

No, I hadn't seen it, however, that list of "professions" for women made me grind my teeth -- and swear a lot.

What a bunch of assholes!

(The doctor who delivered me in the early 60's was female, so women DOCTORS weren't unheard of...) This was in the LATE 60's when these boneheads really should have known better.

"Nurses, stenographers, librarians..."

Up THEIRS!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree!

Cute clip, but with proviso:

No, I hadn't seen it, however, that list of "professions" for women made me grind my teeth -- and swear a lot.

What a bunch of assholes!

(The doctor who delivered me in the early 60's was female, so women DOCTORS weren't unheard of...) This was in the LATE 60's when these boneheads really should have known better.

"Nurses, stenographers, librarians..."

Up THEIRS!

The 1960s was the last part of the 1950s to me. There was GI Joe for boys, Barbie for girls. Tinker Toys for boys, Easy Bake Oven for girls. Boys took Shop, girld had Home Economics...a VERY sexist, chauvinistic time for America. Im so glad I grew with the times. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDnlrfq5tQE

:)

LMAO . That was hilarious . Did you here her say to Batman ( Is that your (youthfull boy) Dick Grason over there !!! LOL Hell that was too funny . She may as well have said Toy Boy . I have never heard anyone say that before .
Thanks Overmind .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, more memories!

LMAO . That was hilarious . Did you here her say to Batman ( Is that your (youthfull boy) Dick Grason over there !!! LOL Hell that was too funny . She may as well have said Toy Boy . I have never heard anyone say that before .
Thanks Overmind .

I guess I loved anime too, because my favorite cartoons were Kimba, Speed Racer, Johnny Quest, Gigantor (OMG! I loved that theme song...knew all the words). I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched (I only liked the first Darren), Star Trek TOS, Jetsons....good memories.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I guess I loved anime too, because my favorite cartoons were Kimba, Speed Racer, Johnny Quest, Gigantor (OMG! I loved that theme song...knew all the words). I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched (I only liked the first Darren), Star Trek TOS, Jetsons....good memories.
Kimba...LOL

My first introduction to Kimba the White Lion was when I was a little girl and watching the morning kids' show, Uncle Russ, that ran in San Diego for many years. Is it bad that I still remember part of Kimba's rather simplistic (English) theme song?

Right now, in WoW, I have a huntard with a white lion.

Of course, I named him "Kimba".

I think only one person has gotten the joke thus far. I also have Judy.

And speaking of anime, for those who use iTunes, they are finally offering FLCL there as of the 11th of this month. The first episode is free, either as something to keep, or as a rental.