Just re-watched original SGA episode "Rising"

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Rising is outstanding as a pilot episode. (the only other pilot I like as much is OUAT) you have that remarkable scene of the city rising and our heart soars with the city!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I glanced at this and thought it was an interesting continuation of the series:

http://www.sgarising.com/

Episode 1 of virtual season 6:

http://www.sgarising.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=8

OMG! :eek: Talk about some amateurish writing. The style is laughable in spots. The over-writing reminds me of a high school paper for a creative writing class. Every single facial expression is put down in word, including raised eye brows.

The first couple paragraphs are chock full of over wrought descriptions for trivial autonomic functions. For instance, she "breathes" and "frowns" and "raises an eye brow" and "follows his gaze" and "twists out of his grasp, angrily" and on and on and on. Whatever happened to a simple "she said"/"he said" to denote who is speaking?

Edited to add this little gem which the authors saw fit to single out as a stand alone, declarative sentence: "Rodney's nostrils flared." :facepalm:

SerenityS

GateFans Member
SGA Rising comes from the Sparky (Sheppard/Weir) shippers.

I think SGA had another couple of seasons in it if they had gotten some fresh creative people on board. I definitely didn't like the direction it was going (eps like Identity and Brainstorm) and really disliked the focus on Keller and McKay but on the other hand, Season 5 gave me two of my favorite episodes of the entire franchise - The Shrine and Vegas. I am sure I'd have liked more SGA rather than SGU!

S

Stonelesscutter

OMG! :eek: Talk about some amateurish writing. The style is laughable in spots. The over-writing reminds me of a high school paper for a creative writing class. Every single facial expression is put down in word, including raised eye brows.

The first couple paragraphs are chock full of over wrought descriptions for trivial autonomic functions. For instance, she "breathes" and "frowns" and "raises an eye brow" and "follows his gaze" and "twists out of his grasp, angrily" and on and on and on. Whatever happened to a simple "she said"/"he said" to denote who is speaking?

Edited to add this little gem which the authors saw fit to single out as a stand alone, declarative sentence: "Rodney's nostrils flared." :facepalm:

What does that even mean?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Yeah, I figured you'd jump on that one. :laughing::lol:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
If things have gone my way, SGA would've kept going alongside SGU. Wright & Cooper still leaves the show to run SGU, but somehow Joe Mallozzi goes off to ruin other shows. Preferably without his writing partner tagging along, since Mullie has written some really good episodes like The Last Man and Remnants. He could stay on as showrunner with a little help from Alan McCullough on the side, since he's also given us some of the better episodes of the last two seasons (Spoils of War & The Daedalus Variations for example). Now that is a scenario which I would like.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
SGA Rising comes from the Sparky (Sheppard/Weir) shippers.

I think SGA had another couple of seasons in it if they had gotten some fresh creative people on board. I definitely didn't like the direction it was going (eps like Identity and Brainstorm) and really disliked the focus on Keller and McKay but on the other hand, Season 5 gave me two of my favorite episodes of the entire franchise - The Shrine and Vegas. I am sure I'd have liked more SGA rather than SGU!

I thought the Vegas episode was a work of genius. In fact, I remember seeing a brief mention of SGU, in name only, no other details, right at the end of the Vegas episode (I don't think I'm remembering this wrong but there is a slight chance). I was pretty excited because I assumed they were taking the Vegas premise and making it into an entirely new show. I thought it was such a cool idea to take this cast and put them into a completely new universe. I loved that Sheppard drove such a cool car too. Plus Rodney seemed more mature and less cartoonish. That whole idea had so much promise. Sucks that they didn't run with it for a bit.

Anyone know who wrote the episode "Vegas"? Was it actually written by our favorite wordsmith Joe M???

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I thought the Vegas episode was a work of genius. In fact, I remember seeing a brief mention of SGU, in name only, no other details, right at the end of the Vegas episode (I don't think I'm remembering this wrong but there is a slight chance). I was pretty excited because I assumed they were taking the Vegas premise and making it into an entirely new show. I thought it was such a cool idea to take this cast and put them into a completely new universe. I loved that Sheppard drove such a cool car too. Plus Rodney seemed more mature and less cartoonish. That whole idea had so much promise. Sucks that they didn't run with it for a bit.

Anyone know who wrote the episode "Vegas"? Was it actually written by our favorite wordsmith Joe M???

Yeah Vegas is probably one of my favorite episodes from the entire run of SGA. I would've liked to see them return to the universe if the show hadn't ended.

And Vegas was written by the one and only Robert C. Cooper. Say what you want about what he and Brad did with SGU, but those guys wrote some of the best episodes in the entire SG universe.

S

Stonelesscutter

Yeah Vegas is probably one of my favorite episodes from the entire run of SGA. I would've liked to see them return to the universe if the show hadn't ended.

And Vegas was written by the one and only Robert C. Cooper. Say what you want about what he and Brad did with SGU, but those guys wrote some of the best episodes in the entire SG universe.

You should use the term SG-verse instead otherwise it causes confusion. ;)

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Did you know that "Rising" Still holds the record for Syfy in series premieres, with 4.2 Million viewers! Anyway, the pilot was simply one of the best, but not surprised from the producers, who made a similar show "SG-1" with over Seven years of experience. The experience and motivation alone made SGA such a huge success out of the box. Pity SGU had to ruin SGA.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Did you know that "Rising" Still holds the record for Syfy in series premieres, with 4.2 Million viewers! Anyway, the pilot was simply one of the best, but not surprised from the producers, who made a similar show "SG-1" with over Seven years of experience. The experience and motivation alone made SGA such a huge success out of the box. Pity SGU had to ruin SGA.

Even better than Alphas? :eek: ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Well Cooper certainly deserves props for writing that episode. :beckettu:

It's a shame they didn't decide to focus on that new universe a bit more. I really like the Sheppard character in that one.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Come to think of it, it probably would. So who's up for a party, then?

me! me! My disdain for mckay is legendary (and only slightly outstrips my disdain for Rush of sgu.) and I would have welcomed the character's demise!
emparty29.gif

sgppoo did not ruin SGA for me...just MURDURED it! :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
me! me! My disdain for mckay is legendary (and only slightly outstrips my disdain for Rush of sgu.) and I would have welcomed the character's demise!
emparty29.gif

sgppoo did not ruin SGA for me...just MURDURED it! :P

So you disliked McKay more than Rush, am I reading that correctly? Hmm, I'm not sure why. Rodney could be annoying, yes, and initially he wasn't that well developed when he appeared in SG-1, but in SGA he was a lot more likable. He wasn't sociopathic, plus it was obvious that he bathed on a regular basis.

Where is your nemesis at moments like this?!