Just re-watched original SGA episode "Rising"

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Stayed up last night and caught the first episode of SGA. Was exciting and cool. So much potential in that show. I still can't believe they were dumb enough to cancel it when there was still gas in the tank. :(

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Stayed up last night and caught the first episode of SGA. Was exciting and cool. So much potential in that show. I still can't believe they were dumb enough to cancel it when there was still gas in the tank. :(

Well I wouldn't say that it had gas in the tank exactly. Fumes, yes, but not really any gas left. Just looking at a season 5 episode list makes me sad thinking about all that waste of space. But I suppose we have Joe Mallozzi to thank for that.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well I wouldn't say that it had gas in the tank exactly. Fumes, yes, but not really any gas left. Just looking at a season 5 episode list makes me sad thinking about all that waste of space. But I suppose we have Joe Mallozzi to thank for that.

There were definitely bumps in the road for the show but I like much of what they were doing in the last season. Given my druthers (rathers) I would have preferred 2 more seasons of SGA over 2 seasons of SGU. Hindsight and all that of course.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
There were definitely bumps in the road for the show but I like much of what they were doing in the last season. Given my druthers (rathers) I would have preferred 2 more seasons of SGA over 2 seasons of SGU. Hindsight and all that of course.

+1

In spite of how some people felt about the last season of SGA, I liked it.

Red Mage

Boney
The back half season 5 was pretty dismal but I think TPTB gave up on SGA with SGU waiting in the wings. The way the writers/producers felt about the show by the end, I doubt they could keep it running much beyond season 6. Rising was a great episode because the show was fresh and the writers were excited about a new series. Watch any of the dreaded I's of S5: Inquisition, Identity or Infection and then say there was alot of fuel left in the tank.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

Well I suppose I'll have to disagree with you there. I didn't really like much of anything they did in the last season. The whole thing just felt very directionless and with unnecessary stuff like the Ronon/McKay/Keller lovetriangle thrown in. Speaking of Keller, why oh why would they make such a dull character part of the main cast in the first place? There's enough overuse of McKay already, a love interest just isn't necessary. But ultimately, to me it came down to the individual episodes and I can honestly tell you that there are only four episodes of the entire season which I'm willing to call good. And by good I'm not talking about any "wow, oh my god" kind of episodes, just episodes I found pretty okay. The rest of the bunch are just either utterly forgettable, bad, extremely bad, or so downright awful that I almost felt the need to top myself when I watched them (I'm looking at you, Brain Storm!).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The back half season 5 was pretty dismal but I think TPTB gave up on SGA with SGU waiting in the wings. The way the writers/producers felt about the show by the end, I doubt they could keep it running much beyond season 6. Rising was a great episode because the show was fresh and the writers were excited about a new series. Watch any of the dreaded I's of S5: Inquisition, Identity or Infection and then say there was alot of fuel left in the tank.

Meh, they could have squeezed out another season, maybe two. After all, they could always kill off some of the dead weight and bring in fresh meat. Just not kids though, not cutesy cutesy kids. Ugh!

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

I'm not sure about that. I honestly think that the reason for the last season being so bad is because Wright left the day to day running of the show in order to work on SGU with Cooper back after season 3, so he handed over the reins to J-Mozz (with Mullie having a say now and then). The Mozz didn't have a lot of involvement with SGU in its development stage AFAIK, so I think that he was (unfortunately for the show) very much focused on SGA until the end. They'd even started spinning stories for season 6 when the cancellation notice came along.

Red Mage

Boney
I'm not sure about that. I honestly think that the reason for the last season being so bad is because Wright left the day to day running of the show in order to work on SGU with Cooper back after season 3, so he handed over the reins to J-Mozz (with Mullie having a say now and then). The Mozz didn't have a lot of involvement with SGU in its development stage AFAIK, so I think that he was (unfortunately for the show) very much focused on SGA until the end. They'd even started spinning stories for season 6 when the cancellation notice came along.

They left Mallozzi in charge who ran the series into the ground despite being pretty devoted to the show. He wasn't exactly the best writer on the show. I remember him hyping up one of his own episodes being so shocking and terrifying that viewers would sleep with the lights on. The end result was Whispers :icon_neutral:. Brad and RCC had definately given up on the series if they left Mallozzi in charge. However, if they could make more episodes like The Daedaleus Variations or Vegas, drop Keller back to reoccuring and maybe added Daniel Jackson as reg or reoccuring for season 6 then maybe the show could have still had some legs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Meh, they could have squeezed out another season, maybe two. After all, they could always kill off some of the dead weight and bring in fresh meat. Just not kids though, not cutesy cutesy kids. Ugh!

Zoe!!!!!

dinosaur-head-costume.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes folks, Mallozzi was a turd of a writer in many respects, but what I'm talking about is the SGA premise to begin with. They could have jettisoned some of the cast and did a mini reboot like they did with SG-1 the last 2 seasons. In fact, it would have been a cost saving measure in many respects in terms of actors salaries. They could have brought in some fresh blood, gotten rid of some dead wood (Teyla for sure, Ronan quite possibly, Keller for sure!) and kept the Atlantis premise going a bit longer. The basic idea wasn't dead at the 5 season mark.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I was thinking of that annoying "Naomi Wilder" from STVoyager that they focused on more and more towards the end of the show. For some reason they tied her to 7 of 9 story lines and it was just dumb. Annoying child in a grown up show is annoying.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Well I suppose I'll have to disagree with you there. I didn't really like much of anything they did in the last season. The whole thing just felt very directionless and with unnecessary stuff like the Ronon/McKay/Keller lovetriangle thrown in. Speaking of Keller, why oh why would they make such a dull character part of the main cast in the first place? There's enough overuse of McKay already, a love interest just isn't necessary. But ultimately, to me it came down to the individual episodes and I can honestly tell you that there are only four episodes of the entire season which I'm willing to call good. And by good I'm not talking about any "wow, oh my god" kind of episodes, just episodes I found pretty okay. The rest of the bunch are just either utterly forgettable, bad, extremely bad, or so downright awful that I almost felt the need to top myself when I watched them (I'm looking at you, Brain Storm!).

Hey, Dave Foley was great in that one! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was thinking of that annoying "Naomi Wilder" from STVoyager that they focused on more and more towards the end of the show. For some reason they tied her to 7 of 9 story lines and it was just dumb. Annoying child in a grown up show is annoying.

Agreed. It was Naomi Wildman :) Her and Neelix and the whole "monsters in the replicator" thing was annoying as hell.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Agreed. It was Naomi Wildman :) Her and Neelix and the whole "monsters in the replicator" thing was annoying as hell.

Ah, I knew it was "Wild-something" lol! All I could remember is 7 of 9 saying the brats name and how I never heard a phaser blast in the same moment, which is what should have happened. :(

I never understood that with adding young children to a show. What, do the writers actually think that the adult fans will somehow relate to what amounts to a Saturday morning kids show episode? Thank God they didn't do that on SG-1 or SGA.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ah, I knew it was "Wild-something" lol! All I could remember is 7 of 9 saying the brats name and how I never heard a phaser blast in the same moment, which is what should have happened. :(

I never understood that with adding young children to a show. What, do the writers actually think that the adult fans will somehow relate to what amounts to a Saturday morning kids show episode? Thank God they didn't do that on SG-1 or SGA.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I want to see a Terra Nova episode where one of Zoe's dolls is found amidst bloody spatters and dino tracks. Or perhaps just a huge bloody bite out of the bed where she sleeps where "something" broke through the roof and ate her. :(

S

Stonelesscutter

So where were you during the SGA rewatches huh?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I see. So that's where all those uberhotties come from huh. ;)

No, most come from the local university. ;)

(You should see college dorms today. They're nicer than my first apartment, seriously.)