Joseph Mallozzi responds to Syfy’s arguments for SGU cancellation

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
There are two ways to deal with defeat. One is to make excuses and look for things to blame, and the other is to accept the defeat and analyze why it happened. Nobody except Craig Engler seems to be taking the second approach, since he was not vested in the show or the producers or Gateworld. He is simply the clear voice of reason and REALITY.

Having said that, JM making his excuses publicly sorta seems pointless. So, are fans supposed to listen to JM and take him at his word over the Chief of Programming at Syfy which paid for the show's second season 100%? Its preposterous. Why dont they simply look at what actually happened and then try to figure out WHY it happened, and then they know what not to do the next time they get a chance to do a show.

EGO

Lilith

GateFans Noob
He is like that annoying little gnat that keeps flying around. I think he just whines naturally. It's part of his DNA, he isn't complete unless he slaps someone or something around with his wit. He needs a wit whip done on him. What does it matter what he says, he is a has been who is no longer affiliated with Stargate and will never be again. All the excuses in world won't make SGU "the best show evar", it wasn't and never will be. Hey Moz.... this reality please, not the one in your head that is singulary occupied by the delusional party of one.

Tropicana

Council Member
Seriously guys
Unless you want an internal meltdown, don't read the responses.

I was calling for a mop and bucket reading them, and I have a pretty hardy constitution.
I just skimmed through some of them, some responses are rather rational and logical; some however as you guessed it are not, and I've decided to ignore them. Not worth the neurons to even process their rubbish.

In regards to Mallozzi - it's the same ol' blah blah blah. "Syfy is lying, I'm telling the truth!", "Nuh uh! Syfy stole my lollipop!", "Syfy - liar liar, pants on fire!". Dude, grow the hell up! Mallozzi & Co. have been caught with their ***** out and trousers strewn all over the floor with those "deer-in-headlights" look. Syfy's info matches the course of events that had occurred for the past 2 years. PTW's info do not, in fact their info only leads to more questions than answers, much like SGU. Whereas Syfy is clear cut.

Mallozzi really should learn to keep his mouth shut and take it like a man; or move on and never look back.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There are two ways to deal with defeat. One is to make excuses and look for things to blame, and the other is to accept the defeat and analyze why it happened. Nobody except Craig Engler seems to be taking the second approach, since he was not vested in the show or the producers or Gateworld. He is simply the clear voice of reason and REALITY.

Having said that, JM making his excuses publicly sorta seems pointless. So, are fans supposed to listen to JM and take him at his word over the Chief of Programming at Syfy which paid for the show's second season 100%? Its preposterous. Why dont they simply look at what actually happened and then try to figure out WHY it happened, and then they know what not to do the next time they get a chance to do a show.

Totally. JM should just shut up and let it die instead of picking at the wound and not letting it heal. His best possible response in this situation would have been no response. Some people are just too damn arrogant and egotistical to know what's best for them and their careers though.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I just skimmed through some of them, some responses are rather rational and logical; some however as you guessed it are not, and I've decided to ignore them. Not worth the neurons to even process their rubbish.

In regards to Mallozzi - it's the same ol' blah blah blah. "Syfy is lying, I'm telling the truth!", "Nuh uh! Syfy stole my lollipop!", "Syfy - liar liar, pants on fire!". Dude, grow the hell up! Mallozzi & Co. have been caught with their ***** out and trousers strewn all over the floor with those "deer-in-headlights" look. Syfy's info matches the course of events that had occurred for the past 2 years. Theirs do not, in fact their info only leads to more questions than answers, much like SGU. Whereas Syfy is clear cut.

Mallozzi really should learn to keep his mouth shut and take it like a man; or move on and never look back.

Well ive tweeted Craig Engler and asked him whats up with Mallozie's answer. Lets see iof he bites.

craig.jpg

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Totally. JM should just shut up and let it die instead of picking at the wound and not letting it heal. His best possible response in this situation would have been no response. Some people are just too damn arrogant and egotistical to know what's best for them and their careers though.
He can't just shut up. though... he's convinced that he's brilliant. He loves the adoration of his blog-o-phants, and he riding that wave.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Good questions.

Thanks Yoshi.

There in my mind seems to be some fundamental answers that i want.

How does sgu being cancelled affect the franchise.
How and why SGA was cancelled for movies but without provision for said movies.
Why consideration was not given to how cancelling SGA was carried out and its affects on the franchise.

To a lesser extent and not strictly about Stargate.

If scifi shows as evidenced by the friday night previous line ups did so well for those shows, why move them to nights where it seems to me scifi shows have a problem?
Are fans realy only watching live on fridays and if they are will they tune in to anything on syfy on a friday at 8-11pm?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
ahhhh, would be funny if karma kicked in and forced him to apply to syfy for another gig but gets rejected for the stuff he is saying now. Amusing.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
ahhhh, would be funny if karma kicked in and forced him to apply to syfy for another gig but gets rejected for the stuff he is saying now. Amusing.
I can tell you that in Hollyweird, it is very easy to burn one's bridges, as they appear to be made of papier mache mixed from rejected scripts.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
He can't just shut up. though... he's convinced that he's brilliant. He loves the adoration of his blog-o-phants, and he riding that wave.

In his mind he sees himself as a poor man's Joss Whedon. Shame no one else even gives his career that much credence. He should be forced to wear a scarlet "L" on his chest for obvious reasons.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
In his mind he sees himself as a poor man's Joss Whedon. Shame no one else even gives his career that much credence. He should be forced to wear a scarlet "L" on his chest for obvious reasons.
I think Mallozzi views himself in the same way JJ Abrams views himself: man's man, genre-twister, and overall visionary. In contrast, Whedon actually deserved the praise he received. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I think Mallozzi views himself in the same way JJ Abrams views himself: man's man, genre-twister, and overall visionary. In contrast, Whedon actually deserved the praise he received. :)

Again going to defend Abrams here. He made Alias, helped launch Lost and Fringe, directed Mission Impossible 3 (its pretty good), Cloverfield (again good but you had to go in blind and do it cinema style) and is now launching Alcatraz and Person of Interest; both of which look good. Also Trek which I thought was great.

So yeh I think he does know how to do things well.

PS: I loved Lost. This may explain my defense of Abrams.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Again going to defend Abrams here. He made Alias, helped launch Lost and Fringe, directed Mission Impossible 3 (its pretty good), Cloverfield (again good but you had to go in blind and do it cinema style) and is now launching Alcatraz and Person of Interest; both of which look good. Also Trek which I thought was great.

So yeh I think he does know how to do things well.

PS: I loved Lost. This may explain my defense of Abrams.

I must give Abrams proper respect...I also liked Lost, and I saw a lot of it in SGU, but they ruined the premise. I only liked Cloverfield after watching it several times. Bur Whedon is the visionary, not Abrams.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I must give Abrams proper respect...I also likes Lost, and I saw a lot of it in SGU, but they ruined the premise. I only liked Cloverfield after watching it several times. Bur Whedon is the visionary, not Abrams.

I think Abrams knows how to make a project work. When you look at the shows and movies he has done, the real creative influence has come from elsewhere. Not to knock him though as he's one hell of a director; I don't think I've seen a single feature where I thought his work was lacking.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think Abrams knows how to make a project work. When you look at the shows and movies he has done, the real creative influence has come from elsewhere. Not to knock him though as he's one hell of a director; I don't think I've seen a single feature where I thought his work was lacking.

Totally agree with you. He seems to be a better businessman too...he has the right balance between being an artist and being a businessman. :)