Joseph Mallozzi responds to Syfy’s arguments for SGU cancellation

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Craig Engler, a senior executive from the network, emphasized SGU‘s ratings drop during its first season, when it aired on Friday night — suggesting that with fewer than 2 million viewers (Live + 7 Days) it was already in the cancellation danger zone when it headed into its second season.
In a post at his blog, Stargate Universe executive producer Joseph Mallozzi weighed in on the issue and responded directly to several of Engler’s points.
“While I can empathize with fans who object to the abruptness of the cancellation after ten years on the network, one has to understand that television is a business,” Mallozzi began. “If Syfy has alternate scripted programming that performs better on Mondays or Tuesdays in the fall, then it’s understandable why they would choose those shows over a third season of SGU. That said, certain statements in the article had me scratching my head …”
To begin with, Engler compared SGU‘s series premiere ratings to those of Stargate Atlantis, observing that the former was 25 percent lower — evidently starting out the show at something of a disadvantage from its predecessors.

“Comparing the SGA premiere to the SGU premiere is grossly unfair,” Mallozzi said. “First — Atlantis premiered during the summer while Universe — originally slated for a [summer] premiere — premiered in the much more competitive fall. Second, the time between the two premieres has seen a significant increase in DVR usage and Internet downloads, and a simultaneous erosion in live viewership. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don’t think so.”

Stargate Atlantis premiered with over 4 million viewers in July 2004, according to Syfy.

In this case, then, the issue was not so much with Stargate‘s ability to find an audience as with the difference between the summer and fall seasons (Syfy’s highest rated dramas air in the summertime) — and a change in television viewing habits and options since 2004.
“Simply put,” Mallozzi said, “back when Atlantis aired, fewer viewers were recording or downloading television and many more were watching television live.”
He also took exception to Engler’s observation that Tuesdays had been very successful for other Syfy shows, including the top-rated Warehouse 13 — since such shows were summer hits. Stargate premiered in the summer on both Showtime and Syfy for the previous 12 years, with the sole exception of Stargate Atlantis‘s fourth season.
While acknowledging that he wasn’t privy to the final decision-making process, Mallozzi also questioned Engler’s suggestion that it was MGM alone who ended Stargate Atlantis in favor of the new series. “At the time, when we asked the studio whether or not there was any interest on their part in producing a sixth season of Atlantis, I was told that, while the increased budget made a Season Six less attractive for them, there were other reasons to do it (i.e. as a lead-in to the new series),” he said.

“It’s possible that the studio had an eleventh hour change of heart — but I’m not sure why they would have.”
While the producers and the network may not see eye-to-eye on how the show’s fate was sealed, Mallozzi does acknowledge that “television is a business. It’s unfair to expect the network to pick up a third season of a show if it doesn’t make financial sense to them. But it’s equally unfair to make a case for cancellation by comparing SGU‘s performance unfavorably to shows that had the benefit of airing in the summer or were less impacted by downloads and DVR usage.”
clear.gif

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/...onds-to-syfys-arguments-for-sgu-cancellation/

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Seriously guys
Unless you want an internal meltdown, don't read the responses.

I was calling for a mop and bucket reading them, and I have a pretty hardy constitution.

G

Graybrew1

If all these PTW can't let it go and move on, how on earth are the fans supposed to? They are almost seeming like they are just enjoying the attention at this point.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
If all these PTW can't let it go and move on, how on earth are the fans supposed to? They are almost seeming like they are just enjoying the attention at this point.

To be fair BW hasn't said anything, JM however, loves the spotlight.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
To be fair BW hasn't said anything, JM however, loves the spotlight.

Yep...even when its not trained on him. :roll:. Is the ORIGINAL source Gateworld, or is it copied from his blog? TPTW tried telling us this stuff before, and Engler destroyed that lie. He has even CLARIFIED the obfuscation from Joe and Brad by filling in the blanks. This is all wheel spinning to bring people to Gateworld.

G

Graybrew1

Shouldn't they all just shut up and stop fanning( no pun intended, but still funny) the flames?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Shouldn't they all just shut up and stop fanning( no pun intended, but still funny) the flames?

They need to just break out the franks and start roasting them in the flames instead. :P

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
So now even JM is blaming SGU's failure on scheduling?

"Real" (and I hate that description, by the way) fans of a show will follow it around the television schedule to watch it. They'll find a way.

What this all boils down to is the fact that not enough people watched the show for it to stay on the schedule on ANY day, so it was cancelled.

Period.

It doesn't matter how much flashy juggling JM attempts to do to distract us from the facts, that's just the way it is.

G

Graybrew1

"Real" (and I hate that description, by the way) fans of a show will follow it around the television schedule to watch it. They'll find a way.

What this all boils down to is the fact that not enough people watched the show for it to stay on the schedule on ANY day, so it was cancelled.

Period.

It doesn't matter how much flashy juggling JM attempts to do to distract us from the facts, that's just the way it is.

Just because they can't be involved with the franchise anymore, I wish they would stop doing more damage to the fanbase. When will this ever stop? Next Month? Next Year? I really hate to see what all their new projects are, they still seem to be spending so much time dwelling on the show that got cancelled in December last year.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Period.

Eeeww errr, I got quite enough "flashy jugging" by Eli, I don't need more psychological scars.................

B

Backstep

More whining from JM :rolleyes: you would think SGU was his only child he just lost.

IMO the longer TPTW keep whining and pointing fingers at any excuse as to why SGU failed, the longer WE the fans of the Stargate franchise will suffer without a gate show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why dont they get it? I dont understand at all.

More whining from JM :rolleyes: you would think SGU was his only child he just lost.

IMO the longer TPTW keep whining and pointing fingers at any excuse as to why SGU failed, the longer WE the fans of the Stargate franchise will suffer without a gate show.

There are two ways to deal with defeat. One is to make excuses and look for things to blame, and the other is to accept the defeat and analyze why it happened. Nobody except Craig Engler seems to be taking the second approach, since he was not vested in the show or the producers or Gateworld. He is simply the clear voice of reason and REALITY.

Having said that, JM making his excuses publicly sorta seems pointless. So, are fans supposed to listen to JM and take him at his word over the Chief of Programming at Syfy which paid for the show's second season 100%? Its preposterous. Why dont they simply look at what actually happened and then try to figure out WHY it happened, and then they know what not to do the next time they get a chance to do a show.

B

Backstep

There are two ways to deal with defeat. One is to make excuses and look for things to blame, and the other is to accept the defeat and analyze why it happened. Nobody except Craig Engler seems to be taking the second approach, since he was not vested in the show or the producers or Gateworld. He is simply the clear voice of reason and REALITY.

Having said that, JM making his excuses publicly sorta seems pointless. So, are fans supposed to listen to JM and take him at his word over the Chief of Programming at Syfy which paid for the show's second season 100%? Its preposterous. Why dont they simply look at what actually happened and then try to figure out WHY it happened, and then they know what not to do the next time they get a chance to do a show.

I do not know much if any about the inner workings of TV show biz, Is being a showrunner/producer/executive like a chef at a 5 star restaurant? When you have a flop of a show, you lose a rosette :icon_lol: With all the bad mouthing BW has done and JM is still constantly doing, can not bode well on them and to their future endeavors with Syfy. Blaming the boss for one's mistakes never turns out well.