Joseph Mallozzi responds to Syfy’s arguments for SGU cancellation

Tropicana

Council Member
Well chances are Abrams knows which shows to make and which shows that are not worth the time, cos he knows it will flop. Choosing the right battles to fight in and not letting one's creativity cloud any business judgement and decision-making -- that's a good businessman.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Oh lord... "Abrams" used in the same sentence with "artist"... :facepalm:

Business man... confidence man... fine line there.

Dan ABRAMS is a reporter not an ARTIST! how'd you like that one? is your head spinning yet? :P:P

Inara

GateFans Noob
He can't just shut up. though... he's convinced that he's brilliant. He loves the adoration of his blog-o-phants, and he riding that wave.

I can't wait until the wave plays out and he goes under. Anything just to have him shut up and quit stirring up more trouble.

It will be interesting to see what happens when his new show starts. Will all the die-hard suck ups stick around, or will they have moved on to something else by that time? I think he's trying hard to keep his name in front of Stargate fans trying to drag them to watch his new show. As we've seen, even with Stargate in the name, that's no guarantee "the franchise fans" will tune in, and he's in a whole new playground now.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Totally. JM should just shut up and let it die instead of picking at the wound and not letting it heal. His best possible response in this situation would have been no response. Some people are just too damn arrogant and egotistical to know what's best for them and their careers though.

There's that Karma for you. Negative vibes surround him. His silence would be golden.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Totally. JM should just shut up and let it die instead of picking at the wound and not letting it heal. His best possible response in this situation would have been no response. Some people are just too damn arrogant and egotistical to know what's best for them and their careers though.
Indeed. He should have someone like you as his personal PR agent! But then again, he probably wouldn't listen anyway.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Probably should write a first draft of things he wants to say and then have someone partial edit it. Probably would have worked with SGU as well.

mndbnks

GateFans Noob
So now even JM is blaming SGU's failure on scheduling?

"Real" (and I hate that description, by the way) fans of a show will follow it around the television schedule to watch it. They'll find a way.

What this all boils down to is the fact that not enough people watched the show for it to stay on the schedule on ANY day, so it was cancelled.

Period.

It doesn't matter how much flashy juggling JM attempts to do to distract us from the facts, that's just the way it is.

I think it had to do with them completely changing the feel or format of the show. People expect to see Stargate that they know. Atlantis was different, but at the same time you knew it was in the SG universe. The problem is they tried to make it BSG part II. I'm not saying that people who watched BSG didn't watch Stargate SG-1 or vice Versa, but just changing the franchise just because another show is doing great is not a good idea. They had an established fan base and franchise. I'm not saying don't change, but don't just overhaul it and then try to feign surprised when it fails.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think it had to do with them completely changing the feel or format of the show. People expect to see Stargate that they know. Atlantis was different, but at the same time you knew it was in the SG universe. The problem is they tried to make it BSG part II. I'm not saying that people who watched BSG didn't watch Stargate SG-1 or vice Versa, but just changing the franchise just because another show is doing great is not a good idea. They had an established fan base and franchise. I'm not saying don't change, but don't just overhaul it and then try to feign surprised when it fails.

First, WELCOME to GateFans! :joy: :welcomewagon:

Second, I think you will find many agree with you here on that. But several also liked the show. I think they were trying to move into the then trendy Scifi-soap thing that was happening around the time when SGU came out. The thing is that they messed it all up by canceling Atlantis to make SGU. The notion that Stargate fans would find something likeable about SGU when it was so different from SG-1 or Atlantis was the bizarre part. Its like an older Cadillac buyer/owner would not find the appearance of a truck with the Cadillac name attached to it appealing. In all fairness, it looks like the awfulness of SGU has been outdone by shows like The Walking Dead.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

First thing - WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with OM1 in that they were trying to cash in on (of all things) a "craze" that never actually was - soap-fi. however the show was poorly written and especially it featured poorly thought out characters who were unlikeable and very hard to root for. When you're making what in essence is a survival drama, having characters one does not like or has a difficult time rooting for is a real issue. In that area BSG was infinitely superior because even with the soapiness there were characters who despite flaws rose above the flaws and were rootable for (like Adama).

This is also why The Walking Dead is dreck - who really wants the people we've been shown to survive? You wind up rooting for the zombies.

MarioSymonds

GateFans Noob
I wonder if we will get a reply from the studios, as Joe as just basically called them a bunch of lieers,especially on the issue of Syfy paying for two season upfront. Which Joe said they did not.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I wonder if we will get a reply from the studios, as Joe as just basically called them a bunch of lieers,especially on the issue of Syfy paying for two season upfront. Which Joe said they did not.
no we wont as all this is ancient news by now and noone cares STARGATE is dead and that is for the better, anyone still holding out hope that SGU will come back or any such BS is a complete fraking idiot imo.

also dont take ANYTHING horsefaceozzi says as truth the guy is a nasty bullshitting guido creep and a sad excuse for a human being.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
no we wont as all this is ancient news by now and noone cares STARGATE is dead and that is for the better, anyone still holding out hope that SGU will come back or any such BS is a complete fraking idiot imo.

also dont take ANYTHING horsefaceozzi says as truth the guy is a nasty bullshitting guido creep and a sad excuse for a human being.

I think the point was to click on this guy's sig line (which has now been removed) rather than actually opining about a certain talent-less chode licker. :winking0052:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I think the point was to click on this guy's sig line (which has now been removed) rather than actually opining about a certain talent-less chode licker. :winking0052:
i see.. i guess the lack of a post edit notification had me confused and if a spam message why does the post remain?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
i see.. i guess the lack of a post edit notification had me confused and if a spam message why does the post remain?

As I'm not admin or a mod I don't know why a spam post ostensibly about a talent-less anal wart of a man would remain. Perhaps it's a sick joke of some sort?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I had to see how far this conversation would drag on.:icon_rotflmao: