iPhone 6 has been announced

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The iPhone launch took down not only Apple's online store but the stores of all the major wireless carriers as well. Interestingly, it seems (at least with Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile) that a brand new customer could get in albeit slowly but existing customers looking to upgrade completely swamped the pipe between the eCommerce site of the carrier and their customer database which it needs to access to perform the upgrade. This in turn cascaded to Apple as existing customers looking to upgrade could not because for all the major carriers their customer database servers were completely swamped.

The lesson there would be that a BIG launch (and regardless of how elements of the tech press may be less than enthused about the iPhone 6 the Apple marketing machine alone ensured it was big) needs extra capacity not just at the eCommerce point of contact but also the linkage to the customer databases and those databases may also require extra load capacity themselves. Apple itself had overload issues just a week prior when their big presentation was being live streamed from their servers and the volume of people connecting and viewing was way higher than anticipated.

Hey, they can take a page from where I work. When we know Open Enrollment is coming up we both lease extra capacity online and impose "blackout times" on some of our own internal functions in order to keep both our database capacity up and our network pipes and backbone as uncluttered as we can - Open Enrollment traffic has priority.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I was including Windows 8, not just Windows mobile when I said that. I am not defending or ragging on either one more or less negatively, since they BOTH suck overall. I am primarily on Linux now. But I still see a need to have Windows somewhere just for games and for some of the video processing software I use which does run in Wine, but just not as well as it did when running natively. Apple's control extends to the developers on a level not experienced by Windows Mobile developers, from what I have heard. I do not know, since I will never own an Apple or Microsoft phone again. Never owned an iPhone, but I was only Windows until my Galaxy (the first one).

You need to do a little more reading. You can develop anything you want on either Apple or Windows (all platforms). However, if you want your app in their app tores, you need to follow their restrictive guidelines.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You need to do a little more reading. You can develop anything you want on either Apple or Windows (all platforms). However, if you want your app in their app tores, you need to follow their restrictive guidelines.

Very true.

If anything, Apple by introducing Swift is actually taking steps to make development easier than it has been using Objective C and Cocoa. As to store curation, that is just common sense. The last thing you want is an app store that consumers associate with you being a breeding ground for malware designed to help people steal and do other nasties.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I already know this. :) Apple's developer rules are written in such a way that if you spend the time developing an app, making it conform to the app parameters, and even testing it successfully, Apple might reject it just because they do not like what it does or how it looks. Windows Phone/Metro/Store developers do not have to go through that. My original statement stands...Apple's control of their developers extends to a level beyond where Microsoft goes when it comes to creating apps. Android's developer SDK is free and the license is cheap.

Bluce Ree

I already know this. :)

If you did, you wouldn't have made the statement you did, twice. :)

Apple's developer rules are written in such a way that if you spend the time developing an app, making it conform to the app parameters, and even testing it successfully, Apple might reject it just because they do not like what it does or how it looks.

Yes, to qualify for iTunes. Same with Microsoft. They can also both reject for any reason or no reason.

Windows Phone/Metro/Store developers do not have to go through that.

In one ear and out there other. Just read the links, dude.

My original statement stands...

And is completely misinformed and incorrect. Brush up on the latest. Start with the links I gave you.

Follow the rules, get into the app store. Don't follow the rules and you don't. Simple as that and Microsoft is just as restrictive and controlling as Apple. It's their app store, they do whatever they want.

Bluce Ree

Bluce, is your wife away?

Yeah. :(

She's in Haiti preparing her seasonal collection for the show in October. I'm probably going to Haiti to join her this time, though, but I don't want to distract her from work. She's gaining some momentum. She did TV interview last week and has another article on her written in a Caribbean fashion magazine.

When I do sell my company, I'm planning to help her develop her's.

Proud hubby. :D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yeah. :(

She's in Haiti preparing her seasonal collection for the show in October. I'm probably going to Haiti to join her this time, though, but I don't want to distract her from work. She's gaining some momentum. She did TV interview last week and has another article on her written in a Caribbean fashion magazine.

When I do sell my company, I'm planning to help her develop her's.

Proud hubby. :D

I thought so your money was showing................

:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

BA HAHAHAHA! What the hell? I have owned three Galaxy phones and worked with dozens of others, and I have NEVER seen such a thing on any smartphone. A bent cover? Dented corners? Shattered screens? Sure. But the entire housing bending?

OH. MY. GOD.

So much for Apple's vaunted "build quality"! How could this have made it to market with such a flaw? Imagine the issue with the new iPhone 6 Plus? This goes to show that thin isnt always better, especially if you have a metal case. Im just floored.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
There had to be a "give" point at some moment in the drive to make a larger but thinner phone (so that it wouldn't weigh a bunch even though it was larger). They have apparently discovered it AND the cute little bug-eyed fly in the ointment.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Bluce Ree

BA HAHAHAHA! What the hell? I have owned three Galaxy phones and worked with dozens of others, and I have NEVER seen such a thing on any smartphone. A bent cover? Dented corners? Shattered screens? Sure. But the entire housing bending?

OH. MY. GOD.

So much for Apple's vaunted "build quality"! How could this have made it to market with such a flaw? Imagine the issue with the new iPhone 6 Plus? This goes to show that thin isnt always better, especially if you have a metal case. Im just floored.

Thin can work. They should have gone with a carbon fiber casing or a stronger aluminum blend, in this case.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Hopefully people were smart enough to get the AppleCare plan when they bought their new toys. Otherwise, they're pretty much screwed for a replacement. I suspect that Apple will tell them that as long as Curvy the Wonderphone is still working, it won't qualify for replacement.

I would never buy a phone (or a device like my Surface) without getting the extra coverage for it. For me, it's ultimately saved me hundreds of dollars when issues (self-caused or manufacturer-caused) popped up.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hopefully people were smart enough to get the AppleCare plan when they bought their new toys. Otherwise, they're pretty much screwed for a replacement. I suspect that Apple will tell them that as long as Curvy the Wonderphone is still working, it won't qualify for replacement.

I would never buy a phone (or a device like my Surface) without getting the extra coverage for it. For me, it's ultimately saved me hundreds of dollars when issues (self-caused or manufacturer-caused) popped up.

Im back to wanting a Surface :) I want to use that as a tablet device mostly, but it's potential for gaming is a strong incentive. I mentioned in another thread that a Surface with a couple of wireless gamepads connected to an HDTV makes an AWESOME gaming device way better than any console. I can see docking it to a workstation with monitor, full sized keyboard and mouse, AND.....best of all (for me)...you can set it up to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 8. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Im back to wanting a Surface :) I want to use that as a tablet device mostly, but it's potential for gaming is a strong incentive. I mentioned in another thread that a Surface with a couple of wireless gamepads connected to an HDTV makes an AWESOME gaming device way better than any console. I can see docking it to a workstation with monitor, full sized keyboard and mouse, AND.....best of all (for me)...you can set it up to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 8. :)
My kid takes her Surface Pro 3 to work with her as her work computer. She connects it to a docking station so that she's got the full keyboard, mouse and two external monitors in addition to her Surface's monitor -- and then she brings it home again every night.

Last night I got into WoW on mine for a bit, because I had some Brewfest goodies to try for -- and yes, I got my Swift Brewfest Ram after killing Corin Direbrew. Worked just great!