iPhone 6 has been announced

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
apple tea pot.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That picture EXACTLY captures the typical Apple fanboy/fangurl. You dont see the type of fanaticism in Windows and Microsoft circles like you do in Apple circles. Android users tend to be smug, and vehemently anti-iCrap, but they do not feel that way about Windows Phone. Strange dynamics going on there!

The reality of it all is lost on Apple fans because they are living in an alternate reality created for them by Apple. Most of them have no idea that their phones are physically and functionally inferior to ANY other phone. That iPhone is always The Best even though it actually is nowhere close. The specs of the current iPhone 5 can be found on mid-range Android phones, and Windows Phone on Nokia even bests Samsung in hardware and functionality. But it is running Windows which makes it not in competition with iOS or Blackberry. Android and iOS have similar functionality and user experience.

My Galaxy S4 is older than the new Galaxy S5 and it is still more powerful, has a bigger screen with a higher resolution display with more pixels per square inch, and a more powerful quad-core processor and more RAM than the not-yet-released iPhone 6. I find that appalling, especially when I know that so many iSheep are going to wait in line for it and pay a lot of money for a mediocre phone (relatively speaking).

Things that were rumored that did not make it to the finished product:

• The iPhone 6 does NOT have a sapphire display. But the HTC One does.
  • The new A8 processor rumored last year to be a quad-core processor is actually a dual-core processor.
  • The rear camera is the same 8MP camera as that in the iPhone 5, as is the front camera.
  • The RAM was supposed to jump to 2gb but it is still 1gb.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Mostly correct. I may have a Macbook Pro but I try to avoid avid Apple people simply because it feels like a cult.

Some tidbits here:

- The HTC rumored to have a sapphire display would be the M9 which is not yet released. The irony would be that HTC would be buying its sapphire from GT Technologies as no one else has the factories or process to make a high grade sapphire in sufficient quantity. And GT is also the sapphire supplier for Apple.

- The MP of the cameras is the same but a lot of the underlying technology is different. In particular light capture is vastly higher (due to them using larger pixels in the vein of the HTC One) and focus is hugely faster - supposedly arising from them using "Focus Pixels" which is a brand name for a technology Fujifilm pioneered for professional cameras a couple of years back and which allows much smaller cameras to have very fast focus.

- Still waiting on usable benchmarks for the A8. While it does have 2 cores as opposed to four what will be interesting is per core performance along with its TDP envelope. It interests me because I have always been a bit of a microprocessor junkie (as witnessed by posts before I did looking at things like Solid State Drives, Iris Pro and so forth.

It's a nice phone and it will provide some good comedy as the cultists treat it like the ultimate device instead of a good, solid phone like it is.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
My Lumia Icon has 2GB of RAM and a Quad-core 2.2 GHz processor.

The Icon is a cool phone. It is probably the highest end Windows Phone right now (but shortly it won't be). Of interest is that until WP9 the quad core CPU is being massively underused as the OS does not do anything needing 4 cores and neither do any of the WP apps. They use 2 cores tops. IIRC Windows Phone largely keeps cores 3 and 4 shut down because of this (it can power them up if needed).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Mostly correct. I may have a Macbook Pro but I try to avoid avid Apple people simply because it feels like a cult.

Some tidbits here:

- The HTC rumored to have a sapphire display would be the M9 which is not yet released. The irony would be that HTC would be buying its sapphire from GT Technologies as no one else has the factories or process to make a high grade sapphire in sufficient quantity. And GT is also the sapphire supplier for Apple.

- The MP of the cameras is the same but a lot of the underlying technology is different. In particular light capture is vastly higher (due to them using larger pixels in the vein of the HTC One) and focus is hugely faster - supposedly arising from them using "Focus Pixels" which is a brand name for a technology Fujifilm pioneered for professional cameras a couple of years back and which allows much smaller cameras to have very fast focus.

- Still waiting on usable benchmarks for the A8. While it does have 2 cores as opposed to four what will be interesting is per core performance along with its TDP envelope. It interests me because I have always been a bit of a microprocessor junkie (as witnessed by posts before I did looking at things like Solid State Drives, Iris Pro and so forth.

It's a nice phone and it will provide some good comedy as the cultists treat it like the ultimate device instead of a good, solid phone like it is.

I have only been ranting about the iPhone 6. The latest Macbook Pro is an awesome notebook! It will be more than adequate even 5 years from now. I think it costs too much, but it is most definitely a premium ultrabook. When compared to Microsoft's Surface, the price points are very close. The gap in hardware is not nearly as wide between the Surface and the Macbook Pro as they are between the iPhone and it's premium smartphone competitors. The biggest gripe about Android was it's tendency to sometimes freeze, or it's sometimes herky-jerky motion. But since Jelly Bean, the experience on high end Android phones is nearly flawless. The cameras with higher megapixels still are not THAT much better than iPhone pics, and to Apple's credit they have maxed out everything safely and uniformly so that the operating system, the apps and the hardware running it is functioning within known parameters. Android apps can go outside of their parameters and have different behaviors depending on how powerful the hardware is. Google has done a good job of locking out installs on incompatible hardware in the Play store.

Will iPhone buyers even like the big iPhone 6 Plus?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have no idea if Apple cultists will like the iGinormousPhone.

I think you're comparing the Surface Pro 3 to the Macbook Air which is their ultrabook entry. And they cost almost the same ($100-200 difference I think). Comparing to a Pro has a bigger price difference but then again a Pro is not an ultrabook.

Both the Air and the Pro are beasts due in part to the PCI-E SSDs which even now (which amazes me) have not been used on more notebooks. These puppies (I have one) are roughly 2.5x the speed of the fastest SATA SSDs. Add in AC WiFi and the latest Haswell CPUs plus USB 3.0 and thunderbolt connectivity and it is a FAST platform. In a way it is ironic that Apple has held the performance crown for non "jazzed up" notebooks (as in gaming rigs or ones with RAID 0 SSDs) most of this year mostly by chance. Typically they are a generation behind (like the phone) but their close relationship with Intel meant that this once they leapfrogged everyone (basically by being an Iris Pro Launch partner which meant inherently they got the high end Haswell i7 Quad core CPUs). I guess even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have no idea if Apple cultists will like the iGinormousPhone.

I think you're comparing the Surface Pro 3 to the Macbook Air which is their ultrabook entry. And they cost almost the same ($100-200 difference I think). Comparing to a Pro has a bigger price difference but then again a Pro is not an ultrabook.

Well, the Air does not compare with the Surface, which is an Ultrabook competitor. It is a full fledged PC like the Macbook Pro. It is much more powerful than any Air. I think comparing the Air to a Surface RT tablet is a closer comparison. The Surface should be compared to full fledged notebooks.

Both the Air and the Pro are beasts due in part to the PCI-E SSDs which even now (which amazes me) have not been used on more notebooks. These puppies (I have one) are roughly 2.5x the speed of the fastest SATA SSDs. Add in AC WiFi and the latest Haswell CPUs plus USB 3.0 and thunderbolt connectivity and it is a FAST platform. In a way it is ironic that Apple has held the performance crown for non "jazzed up" notebooks (as in gaming rigs or ones with RAID 0 SSDs) most of this year mostly by chance. Typically they are a generation behind (like the phone) but their close relationship with Intel meant that this once they leapfrogged everyone (basically by being an Iris Pro Launch partner which meant inherently they got the high end Haswell i7 Quad core CPUs). I guess even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn.

I like them. But I still think Apple charges too much for the Macbook Pro. I like my older Macbook Pro, but I did not pay full price for it and the person I bought it from maxed it out before I bought it. I would not consider buying a newer one only because of the cost (even though I can easily afford it). The reasons for that have to do with wanting to avoid attachment to the Apple ecosystem and using OS X.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Well, the Air does not compare with the Surface, which is an Ultrabook competitor. It is a full fledged PC like the Macbook Pro. It is much more powerful than any Air. I think comparing the Air to a Surface RT tablet is a closer comparison. The Surface should be compared to full fledged notebooks.

That's like comparing a Motorola flip to your Samsung S4. The Mac Air has a dual core Intel i5 processor and its specs put it right in the notebook category and runs the same Mac OS as the rest of Apple's notebook line. It is a full-fledged Mac notebook. The Surface RT sports a mobile processor and cannot run your PC software.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's like comparing a Motorola flip to your Samsung S4. The Mac Air has a dual core Intel i5 processor and its specs put it right in the notebook category and runs the same Mac OS as the rest of Apple's notebook line. It is a full-fledged Mac notebook. The Surface RT sports a mobile processor and cannot run your PC software.

Yes, I see that now...just came from the Apple website. :) But Im laughing at the price they want for it. It is outdone by several other ultrabooks/notebooks out there for a lot less.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

Air http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air

MacBook Pro http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Still vastly prefer my Surface Pro 3. No walled gardens for me.

I dont blame you. :) Microsoft might be ogres in some ways, but they are not wardens or jailkeepers like all of Apple is.

I understand your contempt for Apple but now you're just skewing facts.

Apple's "walled garden" ecosystem at the notebook and PC level applies to apps going into iTunes:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/27/3186875/mac-app-store-sandboxing-frustration-mountain-lion

Microsoft is doing the exact same thing:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...reedom-with-the-windows-stores-walled-garden/

The idea here is to exert control over all apps allowed into their respective stores. However, both can still use 3rd party apps NOT in their respective stores, like crap you buy at Best Buy in a box or download off the net.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I understand your contempt for Apple but now you're just skewing facts.

Apple's "walled garden" ecosystem at the notebook and PC level applies to apps going into iTunes:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/27/3186875/mac-app-store-sandboxing-frustration-mountain-lion

Microsoft is doing the exact same thing:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...reedom-with-the-windows-stores-walled-garden/

The idea here is to exert control over all apps allowed into their respective stores. However, both can still use 3rd party apps NOT in their respective stores, like crap you buy at Best Buy in a box or download off the net.

I was including Windows 8, not just Windows mobile when I said that. I am not defending or ragging on either one more or less negatively, since they BOTH suck overall. I am primarily on Linux now. But I still see a need to have Windows somewhere just for games and for some of the video processing software I use which does run in Wine, but just not as well as it did when running natively. Apple's control extends to the developers on a level not experienced by Windows Mobile developers, from what I have heard. I do not know, since I will never own an Apple or Microsoft phone again. Never owned an iPhone, but I was only Windows until my Galaxy (the first one).

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I could never see the reason why people get smart phones - I only got one because my older brother wanted to upgrade and I didn't want to spend another 200 bucks on another basic phone after my old phone broke for no apparent reason.

I mean if you lose your phone you are f***ed basically because I think google (not too sure on the iphone) asks for your email account and all of your personal data is on it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Here is the problem though. The iphone 6 launch took down apple's site. That shows how well marketing a a few words can do to a brand or a company.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-li...ashes-apple-online-store-20140912-10g6f3.html

It seems that these companies can't bring out anything innovative or something that actually solves real world problems so they bring out very small incremental updates and expect people to pay top dollar for it. The sad thing is people do fall for it. I am not sure why someone would want a better looking screen when it's way too small to watch movies/tv shows on it anyway. To me watching stuff on a small screen ruins the whole experience but that's just me.

People are just buying it because it's new, but hey this is how the world's economy runs. People buying shit they don't need.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here is the problem though. The iphone 6 launch took down apple's site. That shows how well marketing a a few words can do to a brand or a company.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-li...ashes-apple-online-store-20140912-10g6f3.html

It seems that these companies can't bring out anything innovative or something that actually solves real world problems so they bring out very small incremental updates and expect people to pay top dollar for it. The sad thing is people do fall for it. I am not sure why someone would want a better looking screen when it's way too small to watch movies/tv shows o it anyway. To me watching stuff on a small screen like ruins the whole experience but that's just me.

For me the threshold for "small" screen size is around 5". The Galaxy S4 has a 5" screen, as does the Galaxy S3. The Galaxy S5 has a larger screen I could love, but I think the Note is right on the threshhold at around 6". Anything larger is a tablet. Tablets are definitely cool for watching movies and TV shows, and they are great for reading books too. :). I have an older tablet, and because it performs the functions of reading and viewing my video in HD and listening to my music and surfing the web from bed, I see no need to upgrade it to a newer device. I will most likely hold onto my Galaxy S4 until I can evaluate the new Sony Xperia Z3 coming out. I may even go with the new Ubuntu phone when it comes out. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I could never see the reason why people get smart phones - I only got one because my older brother wanted to upgrade and I didn't want to spend another 200 bucks on another basic phone after my old phone broke for no apparent reason.

I mean if you lose your phone you are f***ed basically because I think google (not too sure on the iphone) asks for your email account and all of your personal data is on it.

I have always had a smartphone because the nature of my business and career requires it. I must be able to (on the most basic level) receive email and textx with media attachments like pictures and video. I need to be able to connect to computers and/or networks and do things on them while connected. It is my calendar, my checkbook, my banking center, my bill pay center...I cant do without a smartphone. Besides that, I was able to dump my landline because of it. I walk into my home and it automatically connects to my home phone extensions (I have two) and I can leave it plugged in charging and answer it from any extension. Besides that, it is my universal remote, my car stereo system....unless you get one, even a mid level one, you will not understand why people buy them.

Bluce Ree

If you lock your phone (password, pattern, fingerprint, etc), the only way into the phone is a factory reset. Your data os fairly safe unless uou keep your phone unlocled.

All your data is backed up on google and restores to your next phone.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk