Idris Elba as the next James Bond?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lest we forget there won't be a new Bond for at least 3-4 years as Craig is signed for the next two films and is indeed working one of them now (SPECTRE).

I love Idris Elba! That said, why not launch him as his own character in a new set of films that could branch off the Bond series. That way he is not constrained by the way Bond is characterized and can create a wholly new character and make it his own. Let's remember that after the enthusiastic reception Michelle Yeoh received as Wai Linn in Tomorrow Never Dies that MGM actively looked into developing a film focused on her but it fell through - partly because she was already attached to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Lest we forget there won't be a new Bond for at least 3-4 years as Craig is signed for the next two films and is indeed working one of them now (SPECTRE).

I love Idris Elba! That said, why not launch him as his own character in a new set of films that could branch off the Bond series. That way he is not constrained by the way Bond is characterized and can create a wholly new character and make it his own. Let's remember that after the enthusiastic reception Michelle Yeoh received as Wai Linn in Tomorrow Never Dies that MGM actively looked into developing a film focused on her but it fell through - partly because she was already attached to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Separate but equal! :daniel_new_anime021:

Oh wait... :daniel_new004:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Which one? I have read ALL of them. I read all the books before the first movie came out (Dr. No). I do know that Fleming likened James Bond to Hoagie Carmichael, and that he commissioned a portrait of what Bond might look like in 1953. But he never described Bond as a white male in print. YOU find it. :).
I thought splitting hairs was MY supposed job...............
You do know the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" right?
Carmichael is a frigging white male, what more do you want??

All shaved is saying (and I agree) is that James Bond can be done by Idris Elba and it will be awesome if he does. His race and ethnicity dont mean squat with regard to the character.
NO.
007 could be done by Idris Elba, and I agree he would be great in the role, but he cannot be James Bond as the creator envisaged him.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Actually, NO. There was never a white Noah, or a white Jesus or a white Ramesses. Those are pawned off as actual historical figures nothing like the FICTIONAL character of James Bond. People do not see Jesus or a white Noah as fictional. Not acceptable in 2014 because we know otherwise. It is no more acceptable than calling white Australians aborigines.

I can assure you MANY people see Jesus and Noah as fictional characters.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Separate but equal! :daniel_new_anime021:

Oh wait... :daniel_new004:

???

Excuse me? I just said give Elba his OWN film franchise. That way we don't wait 4 years minimum to see him and he gets a character he can define himself, while not being constrained by the way Bond needs to be played (cold, somewhat reserved etc.).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
???

Excuse me? I just said give Elba his OWN film franchise. That way we don't wait 4 years minimum to see him and he gets a character he can define himself, while not being constrained by the way Bond needs to be played (cold, somewhat reserved etc.).

The character is not the issue in this character driven book series.
Have you not worked that out yet Joe?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In the 1950, Britain was a WHITE nation. Blacks who lived in Britain were Caribbean or African. English, Welsh, Scottish and (Northern) Irish were white.

Correction: They were FROM the Carribbean or Africa but were British subjects (citizens). You do not know this topic. Half my heritage is British. Most of my living white relatives live in Britain today. I know this. :) White and black in Britain did not denote any separations based on "race". You are seeing things from the perspective of a racist white American male, not a Briton. They are not like you are. They never have been. There was never chattel slavery of blacks like there was in the United States, even if Britain traded slaves to other nations. The Russians never enslaved blacks either...nor did any of the Eastern European nations. And they were not "white" back then. Talk what you know...this is not something you know.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Rupert Everett would make a good James Bond, but he would have to play him heterosexual.
--- merged: Dec 24, 2014 7:17 AM ---
Correction: They were FROM the Carribbean or Africa but were British subjects (citizens). You do not know this topic. Half my heritage is British. Most of my living white relatives live in Britain today. I klnow this. :) White and black in Britain did not denote any separations based on "race". You are seeing things from the perspective of a racist white American male, not a Briton. They are not like you are. They never have been. There was never chattel slavery of blacks like there was in the United States, even if Britain traded slaves to other nations. The Russians never enslaved blacks either...nor did any of the Eastern European nations. And they were not "white" back then. Talk what you know...this is not something you know.

WHITE POWER

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Rupert Everett would make a good James Bond, but he would have to play him heterosexual.
--- merged: Dec 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM ---

WHITE POWER

Really? :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Correction: They were FROM the Carribbean or Africa but were British subjects (citizens). You do not know this topic. Half my heritage is British. Most of my living white relatives live in Britain today. I klnow this. :) White and black in Britain did not denote any separations based on "race". You are seeing things from the perspective of a racist white American male, not a Briton. They are not like you are. They never have been. There was never chattel slavery of blacks like there was in the United States, even if Britain traded slaves to other nations. The Russians never enslaved blacks either...nor did any of the Eastern European nations. And they were not "white" back then. Talk what you know...this is not something you know.

So, America sucks?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The character is not the issue in this character driven book series.
Have you not worked that out yet Joe?

Why is this such an issue with you? :) Every Bond before Craig was a brunette or black haired. Craig is blond and blue eyed. No problem there? If not, why?
--- merged: Dec 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM ---
So, America sucks?

Yes. I thought that was clear. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well this thread has certainly veered off its original topic....

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Correction: They were FROM the Carribbean or Africa but were British subjects (citizens). You do not know this topic. Half my heritage is British. Most of my living white relatives live in Britain today. I know this. :) White and black in Britain did not denote any separations based on "race". You are seeing things from the perspective of a racist white American male, not a Briton. They are not like you are. They never have been. There was never chattel slavery of blacks like there was in the United States, even if Britain traded slaves to other nations. The Russians never enslaved blacks either...nor did any of the Eastern European nations. And they were not "white" back then. Talk what you know...this is not something you know.

English, Caribbean, African, Welsh, Scottish, Cornish, and Irish are ethnic groups. English, Welsh, Cornish, Scottish, and Irish are white. African and Caribbean are black.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Why is this such an issue with you? :) Every Bond before Craig was a brunette or black haired. Craig is blond and blue eyed. No problem there? If not, why?
It's not an issue for me, all of them were white males as well, what is your problem?

Look dude, my "problem" is characters, be they black or white being co-opted in the name of PC bullshit. I would be just as enraged by a white Martin Luther King. or a black Queen Elizabeth. Characters are written by authors, and authors know their characters. Historical characters -should- be represented by actors that represent their character.
White Moses?? Nope
White Rameses?? Nope.

Yes. I thought that was clear. :)
The very fact you accept that so easily is telling.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, America sucks?

Yes. I thought that was clear.
English, Caribbean, African, Welsh, Scottish, Cornish, and Irish are ethnic groups. English, Welsh, Cornish, Scottish, and Irish are white. African and Caribbean are black.

Those are YOUR definitions. In 1940, there was no "white race". And until fairly recently, Irish were not considered white and neither were any peoples from eastern Europe. Being any of those ethnicities meant nothing with regard to British citizenship like they did in the US. There was no racial segregation. As today, there were only class divisions. In the US only the class definitions are really relevant, not race. But for those lower socio-economic rungs of society where "race" is still important, it is only a US thing, not a European thing and especially not a British thing.

What does any of what you are saying have to do with Idris Elba as James Bond?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
???

Using this rationale then every actor who is fit for the role should be given a 007 character.

Look, wait times are just part of the deal. Pierce Brosnan wanted to do it sooner than he did but he had to wait. Things happen. Not everyone gets the job. Maybe Elba will never get the job. That's just how it goes. That said, I think he would make a good James Bond and I'd love to see him in that specific role.

*I will say that I don't reject your idea wholesale despite my vehement tone. There are flaws in it though and on the surface it comes across as "separate but equal" in some respects. I know you mean well by it but I don't think you're seeing how patronizing it is if looked at from a different perspective.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's not an issue for me, all of them were white males as well, what is your problem?

Look dude, my "problem" is characters, be they black or white being co-opted in the name of PC bullshit. I would be just as enraged by a white Martin Luther King. or a black Queen Elizabeth. Characters are written by authors, and authors know their characters. Historical characters -should- be represented by actors that represent their character.
White Moses?? Nope
White Rameses?? Nope.

:)

Martin Luther King, Queen Elizabeth = Historical real life people

James Bond, Annie, Captain America = fictional character

I have had to accept a white Cleopatra, a Tarzan, a white Tonto in the Lone Ranger, white "natives" in blackface in the King Kong movies, a white Moses, a white Jesus, a white Ramesses....I can damned sure accept a black James Bond. Telling indeed.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
:)

Martin Luther King, Queen Elizabeth = Historical real life people

James Bond, Annie, Captain America = fictional character

I have had to accept a white Cleopatra, a Tarzan, a white Tonto in the Lone Ranger, white "natives" in blackface in the King Kong movies, a white Moses, a white Jesus, a white Ramesses....I can damned sure accept a black James Bond. Telling indeed.

Yes, it is telling, because -I- have never asked, nor expected you to accept such things in either history, or movies.
In fact, -I- have told you NOT to accept it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

White Moses?? Nope
White Rameses?? Nope.

This is the flaw in your argument -- there is no "PC bullshit" at issue here. Idris Elba is a really good actor. The fact that he's black is irrelevant to that assessment of his acting abilities. You, for some reason, think the fact that he's black is relevant though. You're the one who has an issue with it so please stop claiming the suggestion that Elba be given the role of Bond is a PC gimmick.

Now I'm not calling you a racist but clearly you've got a hang-up about a black man taking over a role that has been historically played by white men. Why is that? Why do you cling to a "Historically the role has always been played by..." type of argument?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Using this rationale then every actor who is fit for the role should be given a 007 character.

Look, wait times are just part of the deal. Pierce Brosnan wanted to do it sooner than he did but he had to wait. Things happen. Not everyone gets the job. Maybe Elba will never get the job. That's just how it goes. That said, I think he would make a good James Bond and I'd love to see him in that specific role.

*I will say that I don't reject your idea wholesale despite my vehement tone. There are flaws in it though and on the surface it comes across as "separate but equal" in some respects. I know you mean well by it but I don't think you're seeing how patronizing it is if looked at from a different perspective.

Shaved with all due respect what you're saying makes no sense.

"Separate but equal" was just a code word camouflage for inferior. Offering an actor of Elba's caliber his own film franchise is hardly inferior. In fact it is superior because it lets Elba mold his character as he sees fit - to make a memorable character.

So why wait four or more years? Let's get Elba on the big screen now. He was a highlight of Pacific Rim - he RULED as Stacker Pentecost. In Luther he was chilling - it showed his range. And I've thought before he would be the perfect Punisher. He is also HIGH on my list to be a Star Trek Captain should they ever launch a new series.

Then again, if he is free when Craig steps down why not? His Bond would be a different character archetype as Elba brings a sort of burning intensity to every role he plays, which could work beautifully.