Idris Elba as the next James Bond?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sorry, guys, but I disagree. Bond isn't Doctor Who. If they're going to spontaneously change ethnicity, or even the sex, of the character then just write a new storyline about a new agent. Hollywood needs to stop f'cking with classics by making them politically correct.

I can see an argument regarding changing the gender of the character but I don't get the issue with ethnicity. Can you elaborate? :daniel_new004:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Did I post a smiley face?
Why can't a character just be the smegging character??
If the series was called "007" I would not have a problem with any choice of actor, or story based on the sexuality of the character.

It's not, it's James Bond, and James Bond, rightly or wrongly is a white male character who likes to shag every hot woman he can find.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If the series was called "007" I would not have a problem with any choice of actor, or story based on the sexuality of the character.

It's not, it's James Bond, and James Bond, rightly or wrongly is a white male character who likes to shag every hot woman he can find.

Funny....Ian Fleming never said Bond was a white male.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

James Bond is a male character, period. (And the fact that he likes to shag hot women is irrelevant to the discussion, unless of course you think black men don't like to shag hot women, in which case you would be wrong.)

The character of James Bond exists in the current 2015 timeline making the question of his ethnicity highly moot. Or do you think that a black male character can't perform the same duties and actions as a white male character? (And a black male actor verses a white male actor?)

And to claim that a black man shouldn't portray the character simply because historically Caucasian males have played it is to posit an argument shockingly devoid of legitimacy. Now if I have to explain to you why using "history" or "tradition" as a basis for denying someone opportunity is a ridiculous argument then we can end the discussion right here cuz you know that's a load of crap and we'd be debating a nonsensical point.

:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
James Bond is a male character, period. (And the fact that he likes to shag hot women is irrelevant to the discussion, unless of course you think black men don't like to shag hot women, in which case you would be wrong.)

The character of James Bond exists in the current 2015 timeline making the question of his ethnicity highly moot. Or do you think that a black male character can't perform the same duties and actions as a white male character? (And a black male actor verses a white male actor?)

And to claim that a black man shouldn't portray the character simply because historically Caucasian males have played it is to posit an argument shockingly devoid of legitimacy. Now if I have to explain to you why using "history" or "tradition" as a basis for denying someone opportunity is a ridiculous argument then we can end the discussion right here cuz you know that's a load of crap and we'd be debating a nonsensical point.

:)

I wonder how Gatefan feels about the Noah movie which was 100% western European Anglo Saxon males when there were NONE in the Middle East during Noa's time? How about The Ten Commandments depicting an alabaster white Cleopatra and white pharaohs when there were none in reality? And even more contemporary, I wonder how he feels about the millions of Caucasian Jesus nativity scenes which are depicting fantasy characters who never existed?

Yeah, a black James Bond is very acceptable in 2014.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Really??
Try reading one of the books when Fleming describes him.

Which one? I have read ALL of them. I read all the books before the first movie came out (Dr. No). I do know that Fleming likened James Bond to Hoagie Carmichael, and that he commissioned a portrait of what Bond might look like in 1953. But he never described Bond as a white male in print. YOU find it. :).

All shaved is saying (and I agree) is that James Bond can be done by Idris Elba and it will be awesome if he does. His race and ethnicity dont mean squat with regard to the character.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Really??
Try reading one of the books when Fleming describes him.

Ian Fleming is dead yet new Bond stories, ones that take place in contemporary times, keep being written. In fact, Fleming died in 1964 yet his most famous character has grown and evolved along with the times. Or are you privy to some secret Bond movies starring Daniel Craig that take place in the 1960's, replete with mores of the time; ya know, movies that no one else knows about???

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It was to speak to his sexually.
You fucking moron.
I have no issues with a black 007, I have an issue with a black James Bond, work the difference out. How's about I tell a story about Martin Luther King, but make him a white guy, I mean, that can't change a damn thing, could it??

And to claim that a black man shouldn't portray the character simply because historically Caucasian males have played it is to posit an argument shockingly devoid of legitimacy.
Bullshit.
Utter fucking bullshit.

Now if I have to explain to you why using "history" or "tradition" as a basis for denying someone opportunity is a ridiculous argument then we can end the discussion right here cuz you know that's a load of crap and we'd be debating a nonsensical point.
I am not denying any actor anything, I am asking for a character to be represented the way they were written.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

:ronnon_whistling:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I wonder how Gatefan feels about the Noah movie which was 100% western European Anglo Saxon males when there were NONE in the Middle East during Noa's time? How about The Ten Commandments depicting an alabaster white Cleopatra and white pharaohs when there were none in reality? And even more contemporary, I wonder how he feels about the millions of Caucasian Jesus nativity scenes which are depicting fantasy characters who never existed?
It's wrong, how else do you think I would feel about it?
Yeah, a black James Bond is very acceptable in 2014.
So is a white Noah, or a white Jesus, or a white Rameses. It's very acceptable in 2014................

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, he did. Fleming described Bond as English male. In the 1950s, that meant white male. If they want to make another character, say 008 Sam Smith, then he could be black or a woman.

Dude, I have read EVERY Ian Fleming Bond book. I know for a fact that he never described the "race" of James Bond. Are you really trying to tell me that there were no blacks in Britain in 1950? :) RICH ones? They have been there since Roman Times. My British grandmother (white) told me how the Britons themselves were enslaved by the Barbary pirates and that the blacks living in England at that time were mostly Africans who were free and wealthy. Britain's history with blacks is nothing like the United States.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's wrong, how else do you think I would feel about it?

So is a white Noah, or a white Jesus, or a white Rameses. It's very acceptable in 2014................

Actually, NO. There was never a white Noah, or a white Jesus or a white Ramesses. Those are pawned off as actual historical figures nothing like the FICTIONAL character of James Bond. People do not see Jesus or a white Noah as fictional. Not acceptable in 2014 because we know otherwise. It is no more acceptable than calling white Australians aborigines.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Dude, I have read EVERY Ian Fleming Bond book. I know for a fact that he never described the "race" opf James Bond. Are you really trying to tell me that there were no blacks in Britain in 1950? :) RICH ones? They have been there since Roman Times. My British grandmother (white) told me how the Britons themselves were enslaved by the Barbary pirates and that the blacks living in England at that time were mostly Africans who were free and wealthy. Britain's history with blacks is nothing like the United States.

In the 1950, Britain was a WHITE nation. Blacks who lived in Britain were Caribbean or African. English, Welsh, Scottish and (Northern) Irish were white.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
In the 1950, Britain was a WHITE nation. Blacks who lived in Britain were Caribbean or African, not English, Welsh, Scottish or (Northern) Irish.

Are the James Bond stories being told today taking place in 1950 Britain?