Idiot Nutritionist

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Nah, I'm no broscientist. :icon_lol:

My knowledge comes from hard research and trial & error. When I see trainers giving out stupid workout advice or nutritionists still referring to the age old food pyramid, it drives me bananas. Nutritionists like to apply text book knowledge rather than combining it with real world experience.

For example, the workout heisenberg posted a while back given to him by his trainer is lacking in several areas, which I've commented upon. It does not target the entire body and leaves some muscle groups lagging.

What I've managed to do with myself is the result of taking a geek's approach to bodybuilding, fitness and nutrition rather than the gym rat's approach alone. Research in types of exercise, the biomechanics behind what works and the nutrition required to achieve various goals. As much as I may know, though, there is always more to learn because this lifestyle constantly evolves.

I've also learned that you cannot just take a medical approach to this, that fitness professionals (real fitness pros) actually DO know what they're doing many times. The work comes in extracting the information from both sides of that fence and applying it to best suit your body and your goals.
Only a broscientist would call most personal trainers and nutritionist idiots :P

We've changed thing up a bit and what muscles group are missing? He is doing chest, back, shoulders, rear delt, triceps, legs, ass, calf, arms, biceps what more do you want?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Yep, and you dont even need to slaughter since the hog will die of a heart attack. :)
I've never cared for lean pork. Making it lean has really screwed up its flavor, IMO.

I like the darker cuts of pork. They make wonderfully moist stir-fry. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Bananas are higher in starch before they turn completely yellow. The ideal time to eat them is when they're just between green and yellow.
I am not saying they completely bad, but they are great for muscle recovery.I eat one and they taste great! Certain foods do need to be avoided, like fried shit but, people have this idea of cuting out carbs completely.

Grasshopper has grown and acquired much knowledge. :beckett_new049:

I Love to feed my brain with knowledge.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Only a broscientist would call most personal trainers and nutritionist idiots :P

Name me one piece of broscience I've posted in this thread. :icon_lol:

Joking aside, the personal trainers who mostly really know their shit are ex-pros or those who have trained pros in all levels of fitness. What you see in most gyms are people carrying certificates, which are meaningless. If they can't apply their knowledge to their own bodies, how can one expect it to work for others?

Nutritionists fall into this trap as well. They apply currently accepted text book knowledge and draw little from experience beyond text books or more recent nutritional research information available out there that contradicts "common knowledge". For example, I eat a half-dozen whole eggs a day, sometimes more, every day. Per commonly accepted knowledge, I should be suffering from cholesterol overload, among a host of other ailments. As it turns out, my blood work is normal as is my blood pressure and I've been doing this for years combined with an aggressive workout regimen.

We've changed thing up a bit and what muscles group are missing? He is doing chest, back, shoulders, rear delt, triceps, legs, ass, calf, arms, biceps what more do you want?

Let's see the changed-up routine. I only saw his originally posted routine.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan

Joking aside, the personal trainers who mostly really know their shit are ex-pros or those who have trained pros in all levels of fitness. What you see in most gyms are people carrying certificates, which are meaningless. If they can't apply their knowledge to their own bodies, how can one expect it to work for others?

Nutritionists fall into this trap as well. They apply currently accepted text book knowledge and draw little from experience beyond text books or more recent nutritional research information available out there that contradicts "common knowledge". For example, I eat a half-dozen whole eggs a day, sometimes more, every day. Per commonly accepted knowledge, I should be suffering from cholesterol overload, among a host of other ailments. As it turns out, my blood work is normal as is my blood pressure and I've been doing this for years combined with an aggressive workout regimen.

My personal trainer plays for 3 different basketball teams and plus he was playing state league basketball as well. He is really fit as well but I do agree that there are some trainers out there who are not that but that only applies to 1 person at my current gym the rest of the trainers are physically fit. I don't believe in the whole eating too much eggs is bad for your cholesterol.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan

This is the routine that I've got he has something a little different from mine.

Tuesday - Cardio - This changes every week

Wednesday - Back exercise - Deadlifts, lateral pull down, seated rower, rear dealt and core exercise to finish

Thursday - Leg exercise - Squats, deadlifts, single legged squats, deadlift for the legs, 45 degree leg press and core exercise

Friday - Chest - Benchpress, dumb bell chest flies, cable chest flies and seated dip and core to finish.

Bluce Ree

My personal trainer plays for 3 different basketball teams and plus he was playing state league basketball as well. He is really fit as well but I do agree that there are some trainers out there who are not that but that only applies to 1 person at my current gym the rest of the trainers are physically fit. I don't believe in the whole eating too much eggs is bad for your cholesterol.

This is the routine that I've got he has something a little different from mine.

Tuesday - Cardio - This changes every week

Wednesday - Back exercise - Deadlifts, lateral pull down, seated rower, rear dealt and core exercise to finish

Thursday - Leg exercise - Squats, deadlifts, single legged squats, deadlift for the legs, 45 degree leg press and core exercise

Friday - Chest - Benchpress, dumb bell chest flies, cable chest flies and seated dip and core to finish.

Before I criticize (and try my best not to come off too mean), what's your goal? How long have you been on this routine?

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Before I criticize (and try my best not to come off too mean), what's your goal? How long have you been on this routine?
The routine has been for a while actually and we have steadily been increasing the weights too every 3 weeks. Main goal is fat with athletic body (not a body building body) Not to mention the days of doing weights and cardio does change around depending on how I feel.

Bluce Ree

The routine has been for a while actually and we have steadily been increasing the weights too every 3 weeks. Main goal is fat with athletic body (not a body building body) Not to mention the days of doing weights and cardio does change around depending on how I feel.

Ok. First, you will NEVER "accidentally" end up with a bodybuilder's body. To begin with, it requires wolfing down tons of food. You cannot and will not ever do it in the gym alone.

Second, a good gym routine will mimic what bodybuilders and fitness pros do. Remember, no amount of weight training without a corresponding mass diet will EVER accidentally make you Jay Cutler or Phil Heath. Ever.

Your routine is too simplistic and does not target your muscle groups effectively and, yes, it does miss muscle groups. You are neglecting front and lateral delt movements, traps, bicep and tricep isolation, etc. just to name a few.

I will say, however, that it targets your legs quite a bit, having a full dedicated day to just legs, which suggests a sport involving legs (i.e. basketball) and hits the upper body to a lesser degree. I assume calves are in there somewhere.

A full body routine will target muscles both in isolation and compound movements. The net effect of this is fat burning during muscle repair. The more muscle you "damage", the more your body kicks in calories to fuel repair and regeneration as well as increasing release of growth hormone during sleep. Keeping your food intake in check according to your goals will not result in giant muscles.

Cardio should be spread throughout your workout days as a warmup rather than one dedicated long-ass cardio day. A 20-minute cardio warmup before hitting the weights, for example, would be far more effective to the body. Since you're in the gym 4 days of the week, your muscle routine can be split to 4 days for a more efficient targeting of the various muscle groups (i.e. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ok. First, you will NEVER "accidentally" end up with a bodybuilder's body. To begin with, it requires wolfing down tons of food. You cannot and will not ever do it in the gym alone.

Second, a good gym routine will mimic what bodybuilders and fitness pros do. Remember, no amount of weight training without a corresponding mass diet will EVER accidentally make you Jay Cutler or Phil Heath. Ever.

Your routine is too simplistic and does not target your muscle groups effectively and, yes, it does miss muscle groups. You are neglecting front and lateral delt movements, traps, bicep and tricep isolation, etc. just to name a few.

I will say, however, that it targets your legs quite a bit, having a full dedicated day to just legs, which suggests a sport involving legs (i.e. basketball) and upper body to a lesser degree. I assume calves are in there somewhere.

A full body routine will target muscles both in isolation and compound movements. The net effect of this is fat burning during muscle repair. The more muscle you "damage", the more your body kicks in calories to fuel repair and regeneration as well as increasing release of growth hormone during sleep. Keeping your food intake in check according to your goals will not result in giant muscles.

Cardio should be spread throughout your workout days as a warmup rather than one dedicated long-ass cardio day. A 20-minute cardio warmup before hitting the weights, for example, would be far more effective to the body. Since you're in the gym 4 days of the week, your muscle routine can be split to 4 days for a more efficient targeting of the various muscle groups (i.e. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday).

Deja vu...:)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
wait...so you think we should do cardio and weights on the same day? Isn't that a recipe for disaster? It's basically going to short circuit the muscles ain't it? I mean surely that's going to fuck up any sort of muscle growth there is. PS egg whites are back

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The way I see is it this...doing cardio for more than 25 minutes, you are going to maximize any benefit. You'll get what is referred to as the law of diminishing return if you do anymore than that. . Those people who do 3 hours of workout seem to be overdoing it. It seems highly unsustainable and you'll eventually quit or won't put in as much effort. 45 minutes I see is more than enough for doing weights. Infact, I feel quite jelly after doing the workout for 45 minutes and cant push on anymore. I have done 3 hour workouts before and well, I felt so worn out, so I ain't doing more than 45 minutes.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

wait...so you think we should do cardio and weights on the same day? Isn't that a recipe for disaster? It's basically going to short circuit the muscles ain't it? I mean surely that's going to fuck up any sort of muscle growth there is. PS egg whites are back

Nope, unless your cardio is excessive. 20 minutes isn't excessive. I'm at the gym 5-6 times a week and my cardio is only 3x times a week at 20 minutes each before I hit the weights.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bluce Ree

The way I see is it this...doing cardio for more than 25 minutes, you are going to maximize any benefit. You'll get what is referred to as the law of diminishing return if you do anymore than that. . Those people who do 3 hours of workout seem to be overdoing it. It seems highly unsustainable and you'll eventually quit or won't put in as much effort. 45 minutes I see is more than enough for doing weights. Infact, I feel quite jelly after doing the workout for 45 minutes and cant push on anymore. I have done 3 hour workouts before and well, I felt so worn out, so I ain't doing more than 45 minutes.

For most people, yes, it's more than sufficient. My weight training sessions are around 2 hours but my goals are very different from yours and most others.

As for cardio, I prefer stationary bike or stairclimber over treadmill because they spare the joints and I won't do more than 20 minutes. Combining it with a weight training day allows that cardio to double up as a warmup but I don't do it on EVERY weight day. Because I'm at the gym 5-6 times a week, my cardio is on only 3 of those. For you guys who are at the gym 3-4 times a week, maybe limit that to twice at not more than 20 minutes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

This is my problem with intense workouts. For me, forcing myself to do more than one hour of working out makes working out an unpleasant chore rather than an acceptable task I am willing to do more than three days a week. Sure, doing more is going to have a more amazing look but it takes a LOT of work. Like you, I am really most interested in looking fit and trim, with enough muscle tone to look good with my shirt off...but not particularly cut up. I used to want the clear 6-pack abs, but now I am happy with a flat stomach with a slight bit of definitionin my arms, legs and in my abs (you can see two cans of the 6-pack. :)). Like this guy:

nohead-288x300.png

I cant get myself to do a workout every single day.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well, nothing says that I HAVE to see this bozo, so I've decided that I'm going to just stop going. I don't agree at all with his way of eating/nutrition, and I'm sure I can do a far better job of it on my own.

Also, it doesn't help that three weeks in, he still hasn't fixed his damned elevator and the condition of my right knee won't allow me to climb two flights of stairs without "paying" for it afterward with massive amounts of pain.

C'est la vie!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, nothing says that I HAVE to see this bozo, so I've decided that I'm going to just stop going. I don't agree at all with his way of eating/nutrition, and I'm sure I can do a far better job of it on my own.

Also, it doesn't help that three weeks in, he still hasn't fixed his damned elevator and the condition of my right knee won't allow me to climb two flights of stairs without "paying" for it afterward with massive amounts of pain.

C'est la vie!

:beckett_new049:

Yep. :) And I hate to tell you this, but 90% of these "nutritionists" have been force fed the FDA recommended dietary guidelines. Very few of them have modern information on nutrition. The information people need about food is already on the internet, and you CAN and WILL do a far better job of it. I think the next time some "healthcare professional" tells me I have to eat low fat, or that I should drink lots of fruit juice, I am going to scream! :anim_59: