Idiot Nutritionist

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Are you talking about carbs, or 2 lots of rice and a banana??
:P
I'm referring to getting rid of weight and never, ever finding it again. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
My biggest issue is being spoken to as though I am a child. I'm not.

I'm behaving myself when I speak with this idiot, because I don't want to have to play games with this guy.

I think he's got that "I'm a doctor, so I know more than you" thing going on.

It's common malady amongst medical professionals, from what I've seen.

I get that. I feel the same about most nutritionists as I do about most physical trainers.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Then I take it you are a broscientist. I am a vegetarian personally the smell of meat and seafood really puts me off.

Meat cooking or just meat in general? What do you do to supplement everything you are missing by not eating meat?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

heisenberg

Earl Grey
My doctor has sent me to a nutritionist who appears to be an idiot.

He's telling me that carbs are the bad guy (like I don't already know that) but tells me I should/can have up to 2 cups of grains a day (i.e. rice), and that I should only be eating turkey, chicken or fish as meat. No "red" meat.

Yes, that's right, no beef, pork, mutton, lamb, etc.

Meanwhile, after telling me that carbs are bad, he tells me to be sure I get my two portions of fruit a day (2 portions equal a whole banana). Fruits are rife with carbs.

I think my code word for all "red" meat will be "chicken".

There is a love/hate relationship with carbs. It's all about eating the right carbs at the right time. He is right to say that rice are high in carbs. That's why grains should be consumed after a workout. Stuff like vegetables/beans have a higher fiber content and thus lowering their calories and not only that, but their carb availability is significantly lower than say rice/grains.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
There is a love/hate relationship with carbs. It's all about eating the right carbs at the right time. He is right to say that rice are high in carbs. That's why grains should be consumed after a workout. Stuff like vegetables/beans have a higher fiber content and thus lowering their calories and not only that, but their carb availability is significantly lower than say rice/grains.
Oh, I know, but to say that I "can" have TWO cups of cooked rice a day??? (and whatever carb-laden fruit I'm supposed to have two "portions" of???)

That's insane.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The main reason I would raise a Spock eyebrow at this guy is because a) he recommends grains in the same breath as going low carb, and b) he specifies fish and poultry over "red meat", despite the fact that ALL meats have zero carbs in it. It sounds like a mishmash of standard vegetarian thoughts of what good nutrition is, mashed in with the more exacting method of "low carbing" based on the macros in foods. In all actuality, one cannot get a balanced diet eating vegetarian without supplements. The human body was designed to be omnivorous, and many nutrients critical to healthy body function come from meats (animal proteins). Rice should NEVER be part of a low carb diet. If any must be consumed, it should be brown or wild rice with germ. Not eating"red meat", but still eating chicken and fish is a subjective rule not based in anything logical, nutritionally speaking.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The main reason I would raise a Spock eyebrow at this guy is because a) he recommends grains in the same breath as going low carb, and b) he specifies fish and poultry over "red meat", despite the fact that ALL meats have zero carbs in it. It sounds like a mishmash of standard vegetarian thoughts of what good nutrition is, mashed in with the more exacting method of "low carbing" based on the macros in foods. In all actuality, one cannot get a balanced diet eating vegetarian without supplements. The human body was designed to be omnivorous, and many nutrients critical to healthy body function come from meats (animal proteins). Rice should NEVER be part of a low carb diet. If any must be consumed, it should be brown or wild rice with germ. Not eating"red meat", but still eating chicken and fish is a subjective rule not based in anything logical, nutritionally speaking.
Just had the "bad fat meat" almost argument with my Mom today (we got together for a birthday celebration). I told her it's the same damned thing, but she doesn't get it.

So now I'm getting the "so why are you wasting the doctor's time?" question.

Irritating.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Meat cooking or just meat in general? What do you do to supplement everything you are missing by not eating meat?
Both and I supplement with beans, quinoa, and protein powder. The smell that's being given whenever I pass through a fast food restaurant and butcher and seafood shop is so off putting.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Oh, I know, but to say that I "can" have TWO cups of cooked rice a day??? (and whatever carb-laden fruit I'm supposed to have two "portions" of???)

That's insane.

Go to another nutritionist then. Fruits aren't the devil like they make it out to be. Banana is one of the few I know that is high in sugar though.

Some people think that's it's wrong to eat meat.Some don't eat meat/Beef because of religious reasons. Some don't eat it because that's how they were raised and others don't like it because they think it's unethical(PETA). If I liked meat, I would eat it gladly, but I don't. My stomach just hates that smell and well, I start to puke. It also gives me a headache and when I am around my friends that do eat meat, it's hard to keep your composure.

Eating vegetables will make you lose weight, but at the same time, you are missing out on essential nutrients such as B12, Vitamin D, Iron,Zinc,Magnesium, Omega 3, complete amino acid chain. Trust me, sure stuff tastes nice, but it's annoying when you have to resort to supplements to get these essential nutrients.

Bluce Ree

Then I take it you are a broscientist. I am a vegetarian personally the smell of meat and seafood really puts me off.

Nah, I'm no broscientist. :icon_lol:

My knowledge comes from hard research and trial & error. When I see trainers giving out stupid workout advice or nutritionists still referring to the age old food pyramid, it drives me bananas. Nutritionists like to apply text book knowledge rather than combining it with real world experience.

For example, the workout heisenberg posted a while back given to him by his trainer is lacking in several areas, which I've commented upon. It does not target the entire body and leaves some muscle groups lagging.

What I've managed to do with myself is the result of taking a geek's approach to bodybuilding, fitness and nutrition rather than the gym rat's approach alone. Research in types of exercise, the biomechanics behind what works and the nutrition required to achieve various goals. As much as I may know, though, there is always more to learn because this lifestyle constantly evolves.

I've also learned that you cannot just take a medical approach to this, that fitness professionals (real fitness pros) actually DO know what they're doing many times. The work comes in extracting the information from both sides of that fence and applying it to best suit your body and your goals.

Bluce Ree

Go to another nutritionist then. Fruits aren't the devil like they make it out to be. Banana is one of the few I know that is high in sugar though.

Bananas are higher in starch before they turn completely yellow. The ideal time to eat them is when they're just between green and yellow.

Some people think that's it's wrong to eat meat.Some don't eat meat/Beef because of religious reasons. Some don't eat it because that's how they were raised and others don't like it because they think it's unethical(PETA). If I liked meat, I would eat it gladly, but I don't. My stomach just hates that smell and well, I start to puke. It also gives me a headache and when I am around my friends that do eat meat, it's hard to keep your composure.

Eating vegetables will make you lose weight, but at the same time, you are missing out on essential nutrients such as B12, Vitamin D, Iron,Zinc,Magnesium, Omega 3, complete amino acid chain. Trust me, sure stuff tastes nice, but it's annoying when you have to resort to supplements to get these essential nutrients.

Grasshopper has grown and acquired much knowledge. :beckett_new049:

Bluce Ree

I agree with you except on dumping carbs completely. Rice is fine as long as total carbs are not in excess and total caloric intake remains low. If you lead an active lifestyle with regular exercise, it's good to add some carbs to the diet. People shouldn't confuse low carbing with going ketogenic.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree with you except on dumping carbs completely. Rice is fine as long as total carbs are not in excess and total caloric intake remains low. If you lead an active lifestyle with regular exercise, it's good to add some carbs to the diet. People shouldn't confuse low carbing with going ketogenic.

Agreed. I found out in real life that going as low carb as Atkins wanted me to do led to lower muscle mass and lowered energy levels. I have added several healthy carbs back, including whole wheat and bananas and even grapes (such convenient little energy packets!).

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I've always felt that the "food pyramid" is an excellent way to fatten up a hog for slaughter.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've always felt that the "food pyramid" is an excellent way to fatten up a hog for slaughter.

Yep, and you dont even need to slaughter since the hog will die of a heart attack. :)