'Human Centipede'-Sequel - so horrifying BBFC refuses to classify it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Jennifer Aniston has made a career out of playing Jennifer Aniston. I don't think she's ever once played a character other than herself. She isn't bad looking so one can only assume she is bucket loads of crazy and that's why she drove Brad Pitt away. Sad really.

And I was trying to tie Jennifer Aniston in with the subject of this thread so this post wouldn't get the OT boot but I admit it's rather hard. Tempted as I am to crack a joke about her staring in a "Centipede" movie (she'd play the middle "link" where, thankfully, we wouldn't have to hear her speak) I can't bring myself to do it. It's just too tacky. :(

Bigger challenge - tie "Spice World" into the thread topic...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Bigger challenge - tie "Spice World" into the thread topic...

Now you went too far. I demand you be banned from the forums and stricken from our memories.

Done.

What was I saying? Who are you?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now you went too far. I demand you be banned from the forums and stricken from our memories.

Done.

What was I saying? Who are you?

Let me jog your memory....Spice World...

Tropicana

Council Member
How about creating a "Saturday Night Daisy Chain"? ;)

Tropi, I luv ya buddy but you went off the rails on this one. :( Your argument could be applied to just about any movie in existence. Think about these examples -- and I'm being serious here:

The latest Jennifer Aniston movie could inspire a minority of wacky middle-aged women to come into our lives and stalk and harass us. So in order to be protected from that Jenifer Aniston movies must be banned.

Any/all horror movies must be banned because there are nutcases out there who might don a hockey mask cut me (or you) up with a chainsaw. Or, barring that they might drug me (or you), kidnap me (or you) and chain me (or you) up in a basement along with several strangers. This nutcase will then force a series of tests on me (or you) that involve making choices about sawing off my (or your) own leg or perhaps I'll (or you'll) be forced to choose which life to save from all the other kidnap victims in the room during a sick game of Russian Roulette. To protect me and you and other sane people, horror films must be banned.

Alcohol should also be banned because someone could drink too much and run me over and kill me -- or you or just about anyone. To protect the majority of sober individuals from being killed by people who were seduced by the neon sign of a pub, alcohol must be banned.

I could go on and on with examples but I trust you get what I mean. We can't ban fictional productions based on something that might happen due to being influenced from viewing them. All we can do is make criminal those acts if they actually happen. The only exception to this would be the Jennifer Aniston movies. Those should be banned for obvious reasons. ;)
I love horror and violence, I love Battle Royale. It's about a Japanese class forced to go to some remote island to kill one another due to some legislation - "Battle Royale Act" in an attempt by adults to control teenagers. It's violent and so out of this world. Again, I know I won't be hacking anyone off with a battle axe anytime soon, or be placed in a remote island and be forced to kill one another or risk getting my head blown off by some remote tag clipped on by the Japanese military.

battleroyale3.jpg
Screenshot from Battle Royale - Introduction video Girl into BR

Again, I know what I can stand, honestly, I can withstand anything, but equally I know some can't. There was a case in Japan referred to as "Sasebo Slashing", where the 11 yo girl supposedly have read Battle Royale manga and was obsessed with something called, Red Room. Somehow believed it was ok to slash her 12 yo classmate to death. What da heck went wrong? The product is out there, it's up to the buyer if they want it or not. If the 11yo girl was fine, sure let her read it. What harm could it cause? In this case, it contributed somehow to the death of 12 yo Satomi Mitarai.

If people are all perfectly normal and sane, what you suggest would be ideal, put everything on the shelves and let the buyer to decide, if you're interested fine, not interested, fine too. However, the world is not like that, you got the sane and the insane. Sometimes there are people that are mentality unstable fixated in one or more specific areas of questionable obsession, torture, paedophilia, gummy worms, whatever; they don't go, "Gee whiz, I know I'm a bit loony, guess I better step away from this section cos I know I will go a bit nutty if I buy this DVD". They don't do that, they don't necessary know they have a mental problem. They will rationalise it with, "They may not be interested in this film, but I sure am!" like normal people

So you got the people that go, "Bloody gory violence - right up my alley, let's buy it" then spend the entire 2hrs drooling, awing, and capturing said images of blood spewing everywhere with limbs hacked off and what not. There's still a chance crazy minute extreme guy could walk away, and most normal people do. Then there's that minute group that will keep going down this slippery path - going, "Hmm... I wonder what it will be like to grab a girl and do this to her, or do that", then that thought becomes obsessive, they become curious then feel they need to do it, to find out what it feels like. They know it's wrong, but then they internalise it and then something pushes them over the rational thought into irrational and then it happens.

Next day, you hear a story about a girl that was walking home from school, dead and mutilated.

I admire your faith in humanity with hopes that people aren't crazy, that everybody could walk away from some certain types of films or view it and it won't affect them. Sadly, there are a minority of individuals that can't do that. Something is going on in their heads, some imbalance and it has made them different to society's interpretation of "normal" people. Therefore to protect them and protect the majority of the population, there has to be some restrictions placed on some extreme end of films. It only takes a small group of people to ruin everything for everyone else. (No we didn't ruin SGU for everybody, it was SGU that ruined Stargate for the majority of SG fans and viewers).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I love horror and violence, I love Battle Royale. It's about a Japanese class forced to go to some remote island to kill one another due to some legislation - "Battle Royale Act" in an attempt by adults to control teenagers. It's violent and so out of this world. Again, I know I won't be hacking anyone off with a battle axe anytime soon, or be placed in a remote island and be forced to kill one another or risk getting my head blown off by some remote tag clipped on by the Japanese military.

View attachment 4491
Screenshot from Battle Royale - Introduction video Girl into BR

Again, I know what I can stand, honestly, I can withstand anything, but equally I know some can't - not to sound big-headed, but they are weaker than I am. There was a case in Japan referred to as "Sasebo Slashing", where the 11 yo girl supposedly have read Battle Royale manga and was obsessed with something called, Red Room. Somehow believed it was ok to slash her 12 yo classmate to death. What da heck went wrong? The product is out there, it's up to the buyer if they want it or not. If the 11yo girl was fine, sure let her read it. What harm could it cause? In this case, it contributed somehow to the death of 12 yo Satomi Mitarai.

If people are all perfectly normal and sane, what you suggest would be ideal, put everything on the shelves and let the buyer to decide, if you're interested fine, not interested, fine too. However, the world is not like that, you got the sane and the insane. Sometimes there are people that are mentality unstable fixated in one or more specific areas of questionable obsession, torture, paedophilia, gummy worms, whatever; they don't go, "Gee whiz, I know I'm a bit loony, guess I better step away from this section cos I know I will go a bit nutty if I buy this DVD". They don't do that, they don't necessary know they have a mental problem. They will rationalise it with, "They may not be interested in this film, but I sure am!" like normal people

So you got the people that go, "Bloody gory violence - right up my alley, let's buy it" then spend the entire 2hrs drooling, awing, and capturing said images of blood spewing everywhere with limbs hacked off and what not. There's still a chance crazy minute extreme guy could walk away, and most normal people do. Then there's that minute group that will keep going down this slippery path - going, "Hmm... I wonder what it will be like to grab a girl and do this to her, or do that", then that thought becomes obsessive, they become curious then feel they need to do it, to find out what it feels like. They know it's wrong, but then they internalise it and then something pushes them over the rational thought into irrational and then it happens.

Next day, you hear a story about a girl that was walking home from school, dead and mutilated.

I admire your faith in humanity with hopes that people aren't crazy, that everybody could walk away from some certain types of films or view it and it won't affect them. Sadly, there are a minority of individuals that can't do that. Something is going on in their heads, some imbalance and it has made them different to society's interpretation of "normal" people. Therefore to protect them and protect the majority of the population, there has to be some restrictions placed on some extreme end of films. It only takes a small group of people to ruin everything for everyone else. (No we didn't ruin SGU for everybody, it was SGU that ruined Stargate for the majority of SG fans and viewers).

Regulation for children, yes, of course, we already have that here in the West (I'm not sure about Japan and other countries). But banning something because a minority will "ruin everything for everyone else" doesn't make sense. It's a flawed criteria for passing laws as I've already explained. Every one of the ridiculous examples I gave of how this is flawed (including the Jennifer Aniston example) is true. It shows how that methodology leads to the infringement of individual liberties.

Just because you are worried that your neighbor will rent a slasher movie and be inspired to kill you that simply isn't reason enough to ban slasher movies. You can demagog the issue all you want but it won't make that tact reasonable. Fear of the possible is not reason enough to infringe individual liberties, especially when it comes to producing and consuming works of fiction.

If we're using influence and possible outcome as a basis for deciding what to ban then the bible would have been banned ages ago as it contains countless horrors and definitely can have a negative psychological affect on people. It's safe to say that there is an endless list of actual crimes committed by people influenced by the bible (and religion in general). I'm talking bloody, horrific, murderous crimes. This is a fact, it can't be denied. So that leaves us with no choice but to ban the bible (and religion in general) because a minority of people have become influenced by the bible and have ruined it for everyone else.

Just taking this line of thought to its logical end. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes let's.

Like my sig says - let's kiss and make up.

Who are you addressing here? Me? If so, I didn't realize we were fighting. You know we're good. You know that if I was to kidnap you to make a human centipede I wouldn't put you at the tail end, rather, I'd put you at the head of the line, you'd be the alpha link cuz that's how much I care. Now that's love, baby, that's love! ;)

Tropicana

Council Member
Aww shucks sweetie, you're so thoughtful, lol.

I hope we weren't fighting but any discord in a ménage is never a good thing. :)