HBO developing "Foundation" series

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There wasn't any reveal about Hari Seldon at the end of Second Foundation. The reveals were:

- The Second Foundation is located on Trantor

- Preem Palver was not a agro cooperative farmer/salesman, but rather the First Speaker of the Second Foundation.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And of course the big question.....the first time you read "Second Foundation" when did you guess the two big reveals at the very end?

If I'm remembering it correctly are you referring to Trantor? I'm not sure what the second big reveal is off the top of my head as there was a ton of stuff to try and retain in the stories. One thing I really liked was the continuation of the Seldon plan over the generations.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If I'm remembering it correctly are you referring to Trantor? I'm not sure what the second big reveal is off the top of my head as there was a ton of stuff to try and retain in the stories. One thing I really liked was the continuation of the Seldon plan over the generations.

Me too, especially in the consistency of how things were portrayed. Like why the Mule was nearly able to wreck the plan, how the Second Foundation finally stopped him and how ultimately they were able to correct the massive deviation to the Plan the Mule caused. VERY well thought out books (the original three).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There wasn't any reveal about Hari Seldon at the end of Second Foundation. The reveals were:

- The Second Foundation is located on Trantor

- Preem Palver was not a agro cooperative farmer/salesman, but rather the First Speaker of the Second Foundation.

I am referring to the reveal that Hari Seldon was a social scientist and not a physical one, and that Trantor and Terminus were part of the same Foundation, even if both were opposites. The Second Foundation was referred to as Stars End, wasnt it? You are making me want to bust out my Azimov and read it again! Preem and Hari having a suddenly more pivotal role in the story from each one's perspective was done very well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am referring to the reveal that Hari Seldon was a social scientist and not a physical one, and that Trantor and Terminus were part of the same Foundation, even if both were opposites. The Second Foundation was referred to as Stars End, wasnt it? You are making me want to bust out my Azimov and read it again! Preem and Hari having a suddenly more pivotal role in the story from each one's perspective was done very well.

Excellent point! There were actually three reveals. Number three was that had anyone considered the matter properly the answer was there all along.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Excellent point! There were actually three reveals. Number three was that had anyone considered the matter properly the answer was there all along.

They could mess this story up if they don't do it right. You said earlier that the Foundation series is possibly the best science fiction ever written, and I agree. :) I am afraid they will get writers who do not care as much about the story as the readers do.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

While I agree I will note that Preem Palver lived over 300 years after the death of Hari Seldon. What is cool about the book Second Foundation is that while Seldon never planned for the Second Foundation to be active in Galactic affairs they were forced into it by the Mule and then to repair the Plan. The books to this point had a sort of fatalism to them in that the "dead hand" of Seldon was guiding events in the guise of the Plan, but the book Second Foundation showed us what the Second Foundation really was (the guardians of the Plan) and the work of two leaders to restore things changed the tone in that book.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Possibly Patrick Stewart as Seldon. Or Ian McKellen. Either way the actor won't have a lot of dialogue and will spend most of their screen time in a wheelchair.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Possibly Patrick Stewart as Seldon. Or Ian McKellen. Either way the actor won't have a lot of dialogue and will spend most of their screen time in a wheelchair.

Im for Patrick Stewart!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This casting exercise could be fun. Let's see, who should play:

Salvor Hardin

Hober Mallow

Han Pritcher

Bel Riose

Bayta Darrell

Arkady Darrell

Preem Palver

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This casting exercise could be fun. Let's see, who should play:

Salvor Hardin

Hober Mallow

Han Pritcher

Bel Riose

Bayta Darrell

Arkady Darrell

Preem Palver

Hober Mallow sorta determines the basic appearance and "ethnic heritage" of Bayta Darrell. We would have to know what the Smymians look like phenotypically. We know they are not that tall, and they are not aristocratic. Toran Darrell + Bayta = ? I think a lot of the casting would have to do with how they match up the earliest characters. I do know that Bayta cannot be a skinny blonde with blue eyes.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hmmmm.

Jamie Bamber as Mallow? Joanne Kelly as Bayta Darrell? That would establish and maintain an ethnic look. I've seen Bamber in other shows so don't let his "Apollo" character fool you - he can play the part.

Casting Arkady will be tough as you need an early teen actress.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hmmmm.

Jamie Bamber as Mallow? Joanne Kelly as Bayta Darrell? That would establish and maintain an ethnic look. I've seen Bamber in other shows so don't let his "Apollo" character fool you - he can play the part.

Casting Arkady will be tough as you need an early teen actress.

You also need both a young Bayta and an old Bayta (depending on which book starts the series).Jamie Bamber is a GREAT pick for Mallow. Joanne Kelly could work for Bayta, but so could my fave babe Morena Baccharin!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Salvor Hardin needs to be a sort of evil, conniving type. Somebody who looks like a politician and a thug at the same time....Cliff Simon? Even Ryan Robbins could pull that one off. Who to play Preem???

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Where is there a "young Bayta"? She doesn't appear until Foundation and Empire where she already is married to Toran. And she is only mentioned briefly in Second Foundation in connection with being related to Arkady.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Salvor Hardin needs to be a sort of evil, conniving type. Somebody who looks like a politician and a thug at the same time....Cliff Simon? Even Ryan Robbins could pull that one off. Who to play Preem???

Hardin? Evil? Are we speaking of the same character?

Hardin is the Mayor of Terminus who assumed real power and guided the Foundation to control over the Four Kingdoms early in the first book. Extremely intelligent and very shrewd but evil?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Where is there a "young Bayta"? She doesn't appear until Foundation and Empire where she already is married to Toran. And she is only mentioned briefly in Second Foundation in connection with being related to Arkady.

That is why I said it depends on which book they start with. If they go right to Foundation and Empire, they should show Bayta and Toran getting married and not start them already married. IMO, of course! That means a younger and an older one to be the grandmother to Arkady.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hardin? Evil? Are we speaking of the same character?

Hardin is the Mayor of Terminus who assumed real power and guided the Foundation to control over the Four Kingdoms early in the first book. Extremely intelligent and very shrewd but evil?

Yeah, I would say evil. Conniving and secretive. Power hungry.