HBO developing "Foundation" series

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I read Foundation pretty recently. I'm not sure I'd describe him that way. Plus he is the one who coined and followed the adage "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent". I described him as shrewd because he figured out before Seldon revealed it in the Vault that the Encyclopedia was not Seldon's main goal. Partly shrewd and partly because he was virtually the only person in the Foundation who had any psychology training (courtesy of one of Seldon's group who had come to Terminus when it was set up).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I read Foundation pretty recently. I'm not sure I'd describe him that way. Plus he is the one who coined and followed the adage "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent". I described him as shrewd because he figured out before Seldon revealed it in the Vault that the Encyclopedia was not Seldon's main goal. Partly shrewd and partly because he was virtually the only person in the Foundation who had any psychology training (courtesy of one of Seldon's group who had come to Terminus when it was set up).

The way he came to power in the Foundation, and then the way he and Yohan created the religion of Scientism as a means of control...the WAY he did it is what I find evil. I wouldn’t describe the character as evil, but he is definitely conniving and manipulative and to me that is evil. He is brilliant in his ways, but underhanded too. That is why books are so cool! Readers get to see the characters in different ways. I read all of the books also, not that recently but Foundation is my favorite scifi universe. I felt that Star Wars shamelessly ripped it off in a large part.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interesting thought - Seldon predicted Scientism and Hardin set it up. Mallow basically destroyed Scientism and again Seldon predicted it. Did the Second Foundation clue both leaders in using their mental power to the right action to take?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can picture Hardin but I can't put an actor to the role to be honest. Maybe (a younger) Michael Caine without the accent. Just spit-balling here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I want to read this series again. :) The more I think about it, the less I think any TV series can truly depict it. If they make it into a movie franchise, the Star Wars crowd is going to scream bloody murder even though it was Foundation that Star Wars was inspired by. Star Wars even stole "Galactic Empire". Compared, Star Wars seems juvenile.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
after I Robot I say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
that movie is horrible and has very little of the real I:robot stories in it! I know with the death of both Asimov and his wife the control of his estate (and his works) has landed in the hands of his daughter- whom he even described as having no patience for science fiction (she's a sociologist professionally) and it appears to me she is the type to sell the rights to a story (or book) and allow the producers to do as they will! (as happened with I:Robot! :P ) with HBO it will be changed from a fascinating cerebral story to sex, pew pew, and action ACTION! I will allow someone else to pollute their minds with it and report to me before/if I see it! (still using brainbleach on the image of Bridget Moynahan as Dr. Susan Calvin! sacrilege! )

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree. This is part of Apple’s first dive into original content so they will be anxious to get it right, so to say. They are also lining up contracts with studios and such for other content for Apple TV, which is planned to transition from being only on the device to a service akin to iTunes.