Guardians of the Galaxy

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
considering how twisted he is, that may be a good thing!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah but maybe they could use someone else as a public figure but still have Gunn as the secret creative director puppeteer steering things behind the scenes so we could still get the proper follow-up for the first two Guardians movies?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah but maybe they could use someone else as a public figure but still have Gunn as the secret creative director puppeteer steering things behind the scenes so we could still get the proper follow-up for the first two Guardians movies?

That might prove to be disastrous. I don't think Disney leadership would even consider such a thing. Can you imagine the scandal if it ever came out? Reminds me of the Voyager episode where The Doctor used Krell Mosett to cure B'Elanna of a parasite that had attached itself to her, and it was discovered he was a mass murderer.

DifU4rlVMAAHIo1.jpg

In that episode, the Doctor ended up deleting Mosett.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Supposedly Gunn has already written the third movie, so does that mean they are going to use his script or will they write a completely new one? And if Disney does use Gunn's script does that make them hypocrites? :daniel_new004:

I think it might have been more likely to be repaired with him if it had been drugs, an affair, outing himself as gay, going transgender, caught masturbating, something like that. But pedophilia and Disney? Its untenable and unrepairable.

I think it might have been more likely to be repaired with him if it had been drugs, an affair, outing himself as gay, going transgender, caught masturbating, something like that. But pedophilia and Disney? Its untenable and unrepairable.

Yeah but are they going to trash his script? Are they going to keep it? And if they keep it doesn't that mean they have to give him credit? Will they bring in new writers to rework it enough that they won't have to give Gunn any credit? They can't use his script without giving him credit and/or having people find out that he wrote it or even wrote parts of it.

It's something of a dilemma for Disney as Guardians brought in over $1.5 billion under Gunn's directing/writing so far. Sure they can plug someone else into Gunn's role but there's no guarantee that person (or persons) will have anywhere near the success Gunn had with the franchise to date. I'm not saying Disney should give Gunn his job back (they shouldn't) but are they going to try to hedge their bets by using Gunn's script for movie number 3? It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah but are they going to trash his script? Are they going to keep it? And if they keep it doesn't that mean they have to give him credit? Will they bring in new writers to rework it enough that they won't have to give Gunn any credit? They can't use his script without giving him credit and/or having people find out that he wrote it or even wrote parts of it.

It's something of a dilemma for Disney as Guardians brought in over $1.5 billion under Gunn's directing/writing so far. Sure they can plug someone else into Gunn's role but there's no guarantee that person (or persons) will have anywhere near the success Gunn had with the franchise to date. I'm not saying Disney should give Gunn his job back (they shouldn't) but are they going to try to hedge their bets by using Gunn's script for movie number 3? It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Regardless of how they manage the public situation, Gunn can keep smiling because he will be paid for the very existence of the already released GoG movies as long as they are being screened or aired. Disney is unlikely to kill the first two movies. About his new script, they probably already paid for it, so who knows?

Regardless of how they manage the public situation, Gunn can keep smiling because he will be paid for the very existence of the already released GoG movies as long as they are being screened or aired. Disney is unlikely to kill the first two movies. About his new script, they probably already paid for it, so who knows?

Yeah, the guy no doubt made bank off the first two movies so he probably isn't hurting for money. And like you said he's making residuals off of them too. Disney will most likely use this opportunity to cut back on the budget for movie number 3, including what they pay the new director, and will coast on the success of the first two.

*The rumor is they will get a woman to direct the next movie because they've gotten a lot of criticism for not having female directors for the Marvel stuff to date, blah blah blah. I don't really care what the gender is of the next Guardians director to be honest. What concerns me is ending up with a director that plays it safe and gives us a paint-by-numbers movie that lacks the creativity and panache that Gunn brought to the franchise.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, the guy no doubt made bank off the first two movies so he probably isn't hurting for money. And like you said he's making residuals off of them too. Disney will most likely use this opportunity to cut back on the budget for movie number 3, including what they pay the new director, and will coast on the success of the first two.

*The rumor is they will get a woman to direct the next movie because they've gotten a lot of criticism for not having female directors for the Marvel stuff to date, blah blah blah. I don't really care what the gender is of the next Guardians director to be honest. What concerns me is ending up with a director that plays it safe and gives us a paint-by-numbers movie that lacks the creativity and panache that Gunn brought to the franchise.

Yeah I agree. Like who gives a shit whether a job is done by a man or a woman or a purple transgender alien with a ballsack on his face. As long as they do a proper job. I really hate this movement these days that pushes everything towards equal balance. Dude you'd be awesome for this role, but sorry man, we've already got two white folks and three would be too much, we need to get at least one more latino and and asian in order to meet our quota. I can tell you right now that if I ever find myself in the position of running my own large company (which is of course extremely unlikely) I would hire whomever the fuck I see fit regardless of what color and/or heritage they have and I'm not gonna let any social justice warriors tell me whom to hire. And if they'd start a campaign about how my hiring policies are not right because there's isn't an equal amount of people from various heritage employed I would take em to court and sue them back to the stone age for slander and demand retribution for damage to reputation. Coz that's how shit works in America right?! /rant

Back on topic, sort of. I'm seeing an increasing amount of people speaking out on behalf of Gunn in news articles. Mainly by people who worked with him on the Guardians movies it seems for now. They're all saying he's he's a good guy. They're also saying that this situation has set a dangerous precedent.

Back on topic, sort of. I'm seeing an increasing amount of people speaking out on behalf of Gunn in news articles. Mainly by people who worked with him on the Guardians movies it seems for now. They're all saying he's he's a good guy. They're also saying that this situation has set a dangerous precedent.

Supposedly the backlash has begun and there are petitions being signed to get Gunn rehired. Chris Pratt and some others from the Guardians movies have signed. Personally I think this is stupid. It doesn't matter how nice a guy Gunn is to work with. That doesn't erase the vulgar, bizarre, creepy, disgusting, perverted tweets he wrote as a grown adult in his 40's. He wasn't a teenager or even in his early 20's when he wrote them. He was someone who had reached an age where it was impossible for him not to know how improper those things were to say.

The die has been cast, Disney can't possibly rehire him. It doesn't matter how many famous actors come to his defense because if they magically succeeded and he got rehired the stigma of those tweets would over-shadow and besmirch the movie when it came out. It would impact the box office and the public perception of it. Disney knows this and won't rescind their decision to boot Gunn.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah I agree. Like who gives a shit whether a job is done by a man or a woman or a purple transgender alien with a ballsack on his face.

ANY of those would be preferable to being at Disney and also being a pedophile (or having a STRONG leaning towards being one). A whole lot of people give a shit about that.

As long as they do a proper job. I really hate this movement these days that pushes everything towards equal balance. Dude you'd be awesome for this role, but sorry man, we've already got two white folks and three would be too much, we need to get at least one more latino and and asian in order to meet our quota. I can tell you right now that if I ever find myself in the position of running my own large company (which is of course extremely unlikely) I would hire whomever the fuck I see fit regardless of what color and/or heritage they have and I'm not gonna let any social justice warriors tell me whom to hire. And if they'd start a campaign about how my hiring policies are not right because there's isn't an equal amount of people from various heritage employed I would take em to court and sue them back to the stone age for slander and demand retribution for damage to reputation. Coz that's how shit works in America right?! /rant

I don't care what they say. I read those tweets, and those folks are like lots of people in America wearing MAGA hats in honor of a moron with a Russian boyfriend who wears dollar-store instant tan. They are morally bankrupt, and don't care what he does. Gunn is a fucking creep, and there is no way to undo what he has done...or what he is. I don't see any danger in what happened to him, but I do see a danger in any group thinking that it is forgivable or "okay" in any way shape or form.

Supposedly the backlash has begun and there are petitions being signed to get Gunn rehired. Chris Pratt and some others from the Guardians movies have signed. Personally I think this is stupid. It doesn't matter how nice a guy Gunn is to work with. That doesn't erase the vulgar, bizarre, creepy, disgusting, perverted tweets he wrote as a grown adult in his 40's. He wasn't a teenager or even in his early 20's when he wrote them. He was someone who had reached an age where it was impossible for him not to know how improper those things were to say.

PRECISELY.

The die has been cast, Disney can't possibly rehire him. It doesn't matter how many famous actors come to his defense because if they magically succeeded and he got rehired the stigma of those tweets would over-shadow and besmirch the movie when it came out. It would impact the box office and the public perception of it. Disney knows this and won't rescind their decision to boot Gunn.

drops_mike.gif

Supposedly Dave Bautista aka "Drax" is now threatening to quit the next movie if James Gunn's script is not used. I like Bautista in the role but have to wonder if a former professional wrestler should be making waves of this kind. I mean, is this really the hill he wants his acting career to die on? I seriously doubt Disney will be inclined to continue to give him work with this attitude.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...galaxy-james-gunn_us_5b689364e4b0fd5c73dc3fe8

As for using Gunn's script, on one hand it would probably be good but on the other hand it might reflect badly back onto Disney. What they'll probably do is have a team of writers make cosmetic changes to the script, enough to be able to claim it's no longer Gunn's script while actually retaining the original script. I think it's less likely that they will jettison the entire script but you never know. I've been wrong on things before, like when I thought Dutch beer was actually drinkable but then I had one and, well, we all know how that turned out. ;)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I saw. Hard to believe but it is what it is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I saw. Hard to believe but it is what it is.

Disney is going through some sort of change behind the scenes. One of the reasons I would venture to guess is a MASSIVE hiring shift to millennial graduates and interns at Disney Creative. I have seen the calls for creative directors, product marketing, and you can see it in their new productions and also their online literature. The newer movies are a result of this influx of millennial ideology. This may serve them or sink them. I do think that to replace Gunn at this point would not make sense, but Disney will face backlash.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member