Guardians of the Galaxy

Apparently James Gunn has been fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 over some tweets he posted. Think they were from a few years back.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/20/...nn-exits-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3/index.html

Well that sucks. He did an amazing job with the first two Guardians. :moody:

The tweets are crude, unfunny and just plain dumb. They read like something a high school kid would find hilarious. Unfortunately Gunn was at least 41 when he wrote them so youthful stupidity is not an excuse he can use.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

The tweets are crude, unfunny and just plain dumb. They read like something a high school kid would find hilarious. Unfortunately Gunn was at least 41 when he wrote them so youthful stupidity is not an excuse he can use.
I haven't seen the actual tweets. But I think it's ridiculous that a company fires someone for something they posted on the internet 9 years ago.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I mean fuck Disney! They need to stop buying up other companies and screwing with established fandoms. First Star Wars now Marvel. What will be next? And what do you think will happen with Guardians 3 now? I'm sure it'll get fucked up. I might choose to boycott it, meaning I'll see it but not pay any money in order to do so.

I mean fuck Disney! They need to stop buying up other companies and screwing with established fandoms. First Star Wars now Marvel. What will be next? And what do you think will happen with Guardians 3 now? I'm sure it'll get fucked up. I might choose to boycott it, meaning I'll see it but not pay any money in order to do so.

I'm sure whoever replaces Gunn will be lackluster and will give us a paint-by-numbers Guardians movie. I'm saying this not as a fanboi but as someone who is a very, very hard sell on movies these days. I'm a tough critic so for me to say that Gunn did a great job with the Guardians movies is rare high praise, but deservedly so. But alas, good things never last when it comes to TV show and movies I like watching.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Exactly. No excuse, and it isn't the tweet so much, it is what the tweet represents and what it reveals about the person who tweets it. Just like the very EXISTENCE of movies like The Human Centipede and Hannibal says loads about the authors who wrote them (that they are psychopaths). Many new and fascinating things have come from the minds of the insane, but once known then it becomes a problem for those who continue to deal with these people. Gunn needed to go.

I haven't seen the actual tweets. But I think it's ridiculous that a company fires someone for something they posted on the internet 9 years ago.

I don't. Just like if a war criminal or murderer is discovered 20 years later, they need to pay for their crimes and transgressions even if they are 80 years old.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Exactly. No excuse, and it isn't the tweet so much, it is what the tweet represents and what it reveals about the person who tweets it. Just like the very EXISTENCE of movies like The Human Centipede and Hannibal says loads about the authors who wrote them (that they are psychopaths). Many new and fascinating things have come from the minds of the insane, but once known then it becomes a problem for those who continue to deal with these people. Gunn needed to go.

I don't. Just like if a war criminal or murderer is discovered 20 years later, they need to pay for their crimes and transgressions even if they are 80 years old.

Listen to yourself man. You're comparing war criminals (people who murder and torture innocent people) with the posting of text messages on the internet as if they're one and the same thing. That's far out man, really really far out.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Listen to yourself man. You're comparing war criminals (people who murder and torture innocent people) with the posting of text messages on the internet as if they're one and the same thing. That's far out man, really really far out.

Well, yeah my examples are extreme :). My point is that the age of the tweet is irrelevant if the tweet is revealing an aspect of somebody's personality that goes beyond a simple event in time. A 40 year old tweeting about an old man tree giving a kid a blowjob is just plan dumb and deserves vitriol.

Why do some guys not think that certain types of "joking around" are NOT funny at all to others? Race jokes are part of that, as are sexist jokes and ethnic jokes and ESPECIALLY Nazi jokes or pedophile jokes. Social Darwinism.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As I said I haven't seen the tweets in question, but I don't feel I should see them. The example you gave with the tree is pretty ridiculous of course.

Yes, it is. It is also one the actual tweets Gunn posted. That was one of many, all pedophile-themed. The man is truly a creep, and the fact that he got this far without being discovered is a blessing for him. At least he is wealthy now. And no, none of them would have been acceptable even decades ago.

But the thing is all people say or do stupid fucking shit at at least some point in their life. People change over the years. Society changes even more over the years. And with that morals which are considered generally accepted by certain parts of society change over the years. It is therefore quite possible for someone to say something which is generally accepted at that time and five years later find that the world has changed and that certain someone's point of view has changed and for the thing they said back when to be completely ridiculous and seemingly unacceptable.

Not these tweets. None of them would be acceptable even 100 years ago.

Gunn.PNG

The over-arcing theme of all of them is a distinct pedophilia. You need to read them. There is no defense.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I read just a few- what a disgusting man. His fantasies about child rape were among the mildest of his tweets. I'm a big believer in the execution of those who abuse children.

I guess I should be offended about the whole IQ things, but then I understand what IQ measures- not intellect of test taker, but the intellect of the test writer. If you score really well it only means that you are smarter than the test writer, not compared to the population as a whole. Actually there are classes you can take on test writing - in psych depts. no less. ;)

Personally I may be rude and obnoxious about shows I dislike heartily but I would never write something so nasty about children! A person has to have real deep psychosis to write what Gunn did. Were he the parent of a kid I deal with, he'd be talking to a judge damn fast.

Last edited:
I read just a few- what a disgusting man. His fantasies about child rape were among the mildest of his tweets. I'm a big believer in the execution of those who abuse children.

What I don't understand is the context that he was making those "provocative jokes" in. They are crude and unfunny and don't make sense. Like I said, it's one thing for a teenager to crack such tasteless jokes but quite another for a 41yo adult. How does anyone that age find such tweets funny? And what kind of response was he expecting to provoke by saying such things, and by who?

At any rate, he was a great director but I don't fault Disney in this instance. Gunn may have just been trolling but he did cross the line, repeatedly. There really is no defense for that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What I don't understand is the context that he was making those "provocative jokes" in. They are crude and unfunny and don't make sense. Like I said, it's one thing for a teenager to crack such tasteless jokes but quite another for a 41yo adult. How does anyone that age find such tweets funny? And what kind of response was he expecting to provoke by saying such things, and by who?

At any rate, he was a great director but I don't fault Disney in this instance. Gunn may have just been trolling but he did cross the line, repeatedly. There really is no defense for that.

Its like he was maintaining that pedo thread throughout all of those tweets. Every tweet is a play on a central theme of pedophilia involving little boys. The man is a creepy dude, and we may hear more about this if there are actual victims.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Holy shit! Having seen those tweets now I am absolutely astonished. I can totally understand why an employer would fire someone over posting such things, especially Disney. I had never expected them to be anything like that. And yeah there is definitely a creepy pedo vibe throughout the lot of them. I was thinking he would have said something which could be considered controversial by some but not to others, but this is outrageous. I've never seen anything like it. Please tell me that these things have been removed from the internet by Twitter a long time ago.

Holy shit! Having seen those tweets now I am absolutely astonished. I can totally understand why an employer would fire someone over posting such things, especially Disney. I had never expected them to be anything like that. And yeah there is definitely a creepy pedo vibe throughout the lot of them. I was thinking he would have said something which could be considered controversial by some but not to others, but this is outrageous. I've never seen anything like it. Please tell me that these things have been removed from the internet by Twitter a long time ago.

I too thought they would just be some mildly controversial tweets that were being blown out of proportion but obviously that's not the case. The fact that he had a running theme is very disturbing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Peter Gunn has Hindenburg'd. No way to spin it.

You don't come back from this sort of creepy thing. Not ever. It took less than a minute for the Hindenburg to be floating majestically in the sky to becoming a flaming heap on the ground.

Last edited:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Wooooooooh......

Disney+ Pedophile= A Big Fucking Hell No!

Sorry, to hear this, but what is shocking to me, is that he thought it was okay to ever posts this....or anything like this....and the fact that Disney just now found this and reacted to it ( or just now reacted to it, because the press knows).

Anyhoo.....regardless, Disney will consider this like acid on steroids....so no brainer here.

Goodbye Dude. Go get some help.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I gotta back Disney on this. I think Gunn is a talented writer and director as the Guardians films evidence. But pedo stuff is NEVER funny or acceptable in any form. There comes a place where no matter how talented someone is the conduct cannot be tolerated. This is an example of that point.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I gotta back Disney on this. I think Gunn is a talented writer and director as the Guardians films evidence. But pedo stuff is NEVER funny or acceptable in any form. There comes a place where no matter how talented someone is the conduct cannot be tolerated. This is an example of that point.

Yep, and the truth is that Disney may not be able to find anyone with Gunn's twist on things.