GateFans Rewatch: Pacific Rim

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Collecting some data...:

http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-...c-rim-2-is-still-alive-and-being-written-now/

Pacific Rim 2 exists on a hard drive in Hollywood. For some time now, screenwriter Travis Beacham has been writing a sequel to this summer’s Pacific Rim with the knowledge it might never get made. Guillermo del Toro’s film recently squeaked by to $100 million in the United States, but grossed three times that internationally, earning record numbers in China. Those numbers made the sequel a bit more likely but there has yet to be any official movement on it.

In a new interview, del Toro confirms he and Beacham are continuing to write the film with the hope Legendary will give them a green light.

This is great news, as it is very hard to get into the Chinese market with many traditional American products. This works very well!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Um....this is called "Honest Trailer"?

Every single supposed plot hole they listed was explained clearly in the film. I thought better of them - usually they point up REAL plot holes.

However, the ending does capture the essence of it. This isn't Citizen Kane - its a big, sloppy, simple love letter type of movie to all those great Toho movies of our childhood.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Isn't it funny, if you like the movie, "honest trailer" is bad, but if you think it's tripe..........

:lol: :lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No, exactly like I said. They claim plot holes but the supposed plot holes are clearly explained - hence they are not plot holes.

And they do these on films I like and I found them funny. For example:

This should be Skyfall, which I loved but the Honest Trailer was hysterical.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Ah, this "Honest Trailer" is a fail. Sure, it was funny but it didn't at all successfully lampoon this movie. This was a good movie. And if they knew anything about kaigu and the DECADES of movies in this unique genre, he would see it for what it is: The best kaiju movie ever made. I suspect these same people who make the Honest Trailers would not "get" kung fu movies either. They aren't supposed to be heavy on drama. They actually complained about the explosions and giant robot fights with the kaiju? LOL! Find any kaigu movie that DOES NOT have this going on. Giant monsters fighting good guys in order to save somebody or some place. That is the core of the genre. They missed it.

I found this movie far more interesting than say...Total Recall 2010 or Captain America. Perhaps even Iron Man 3.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Are their any other Kaiju movies that blend the Kaiju and Mecha themes?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Are their any other Kaiju movies that blend the Kaiju and Mecha themes?

Yes, several. One of them is (how clever!) Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. There is a mecha Kong and one where a human can grow to a giant size and fight the kaigu (cant think of the name). I have every single kaigu movie ever made in my collection. ALL of them, even from before I was born.

Last edited:
B

Backstep

Ah, this "Honest Trailer" is a fail. Sure, it was funny but it didn't at all successfully lampoon this movie. This was a good movie. And if they knew anything about kaigu and the DECADES of movies in this unique genre, he would see it for what it is: The best kaiju movie ever made. I suspect these same people who make the Honest Trailers would not "get" kung fu movies either. They aren't supposed to be heavy on drama. They actually complained about the explosions and giant robot fights with the kaiju? LOL! Find any kaigu movie that DOES NOT have this going on. Giant monsters fighting good guys in order to save somebody or some place. That is the core of the genre. They missed it.

I found this movie far more interesting than say...Total Recall 2010 or Captain America. Perhaps even Iron Man 3.

You're taking the Honest Trailer to seriously, I like the movie too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're taking the Honest Trailer to seriously, I like the movie too.

It was funny as hell, for sure. :) But I loved Pacific Rim. In addition to this rewatch, I have seen it about...10 times?

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Giant robots punching giant monsters in the face :smiley_joy: give me more!

Watch it STONED. :anim_59: ;) :P. There was one scene where after the kaigu walked through the Coastal Wall, the Jaeger was brought in to take out the kaigu and it was totally kicking some kaigu butt. The punches were so funny and the expression on the kaigu face was like...OW! I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. :happy0007:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Oh Man !!! . I forgot about this . This hatch was used in Pacific Rim and my daughter's film group used it as a prop for there Centennial College film Si-Fi project
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG
IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG
. Cool or what .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member