Game of Thrones - Season Two!!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
HBO announced Tuesday that they have renewed Game of Thrones for a second season!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Little excerpt from NY times article:

Game of Thrones,” is a costume-drama sexual hopscotch, even if it is more sophisticated than its predecessors . . . The imagined historical universe of “Game of Thrones” gives license for unhindered bed-jumping — here sibling intimacy is hardly confined to emotional exchange.

The true perversion, though, is the sense you get that all of this illicitness has been tossed in as a little something for the ladies, out of a justifiable fear, perhaps, that no woman alive would watch otherwise. While I do not doubt that there are women in the world who read books like Mr. Martin’s, I can honestly say that I have never met a single woman who has stood up in indignation at her book club and refused to read the latest from Lorrie Moore unless everyone agreed to “The Hobbit” first. “Game of Thrones” is boy fiction patronizingly turned out to reach the population’s other half.

http://tv.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/arts/television/game-of-thrones-begins-sunday-on-hbo-review.html

Ladies, what do you think? I wonder what the viewership of the first episode was. But I'd guess the download for it was far more.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Little excerpt from NY times article:

http://tv.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/arts/television/game-of-thrones-begins-sunday-on-hbo-review.html

Ladies, what do you think? I wonder what the viewership of the first episode was. But I'd guess the download for it was far more.
Except for the fact that things seem to be right in line with what was going on in the book(s)...

The first airing of Sunday's episode had 2.2 million viewers, and a subsequent airing the same night had 2 million viewers, so that makes for an interesting ratings share, when all of this is factored in.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Meant what do you ladies think about the article saying that fantasy is sexist?

Wow, awesome viewership, very strong numbers. Think you guys will make an article for it in Gatefan's front page?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

Wow, awesome viewership, very strong numbers. Think you guys will make an article for it in Gatefan's front page?
I think it really depends on the fantasy and the author of said fantasy, actually.

If you're reading the Gor books, then, yes, it's VERY sexist. Musclebound (and musclebrained) males in chainmail and cringing females in their chainmail bikinis. If you're reading Eddings' "Belgariad", "Malloreon", "Elenium" and "Tamuli" series, it's not. Strong male AND female characters, across the board.

It all depends upon the author.

G

Graybrew1

I disagree, I think the writer of the article is sexist. I loved Tudors, I am loving Borgias and Camelot is good too. And he is saying women don't love fantasy unless they through in some extra female attraction? Which I don't know is what parts of the show is he referring to? Do you?

I do agree, that ....well, let's just call them ....less intelligent people, will not enjoy the show. Because you do need to think to follow these types of shows, and less intelligent people might not be able to follow and get bored. History can be boring, I llike it ,not everyone's cup of tea though. Not for the Jersey Shore type of crowd. ;)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
That's the thing the article was written by a woman! Anyways, I know fantasy tends to be sexist usually but eh, it was a bit sexist of her to say that fantasy is sexist but asserted sexist things herself like that women usually would read chick lit but would not proclaim to read fantasy at their book clubs. She says something is sexist towards women but then says sexist things herself. Hard to believe NY times has such writers, but then again I don't read periodicals.

G

Graybrew1

That's the thing the article was written by a woman! Anyways, I know fantasy tends to be sexist usually but eh, it was a bit sexist of her to say that fantasy is sexist but asserted sexist things herself like that women usually would read chick lit but would not proclaim to read fantasy at their book clubs. She says something is sexist towards women but then says sexist things herself. Hard to believe NY times has such writers, but then again I don't read periodicals.

It was a women! Ha, I did not catch that. Yeah, she has some hang-ups for sure. Or just trying to sell papers. :icon_e_wink: And I do , by the way ,when on vacation enjoy a good chick lit, not the romance books , but the fun chick lit books. Because, yeah I am a female. But I also loved Braveheart.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Game of Thrones Bromantic vid

Found this on another site. :cool:

[video]http://videos.nymag.com/video/What-If-Game-of-Thrones-Was-a-B