Galaxy Quest - What a fun scifi classic!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know...Im on the late freight with watching this since many of you saw it years ago. I just watched this for the first time tonight, and I LOVED it. I am going to watch it again shortly. :)

This is a must see on Netflix. :) I suggest watching it when you can laugh and enjoy lighthearted action. They managed to do this entire movie without a single word of profanity or a single exposed breast. OR tinkling piano. :) What fun.

:netflix:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No swearing eh?
Watch Sigourney Weavers lips when she see's the chompers :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I know...Im on the late freight with watching this since many of you saw it years ago. I just watched this for the first time tonight, and I LOVED it. I am going to watch it again shortly. :)

This is a must see on Netflix. :) I suggest watching it when you can laugh and enjoy lighthearted action. They managed to do this entire movie without a single word of profanity or a single exposed breast. OR tinkling piano. :) What fun.

This is one of my favorite movies. They initially wanted the original Trek cast to play themselves but Paramount intervened, as I recall. I'm glad because this cast was hilarious and meshed very well.

Too bad they never got the sequel out of the gate. They're still talking about it as a possibility.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Galaxy-Quest-2-May-Actually-Happen-Here-Why-66548.html

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Wow, I just assumed everyone had seen this one already. I admit I wasn't too interested when it came out because Tim Allen isn't that appealing to me, but a friend made me watch it and it turned out to be pretty good. They got the cynical, frustrated stereotyped actors shtick down pretty well.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I think I had around 10 strokes laughing so hard watching that movie . I have the VHS version of it . Definitely one of my favorites ... On Zev ,,,On !!! Arr Arr Arr
By Grapthars Hammer ,,, You Shall Be Avenged !!!
If I have to say that bloody stupid line one more time !!!
Never Give Up !!! Never Surrender !!!
Uuu Rrr OURrr LAST HOPE !!!
:) :) :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's definitely a fun film. I also liked that all the characters grew during the course of it and especially the very end - Galaxy Quest The New Adventures!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG, I'm not sure how I feel about this:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2015/04/paramount-reportedly-shopping-galaxy-quest-tv-series/

Paramount reportedly shopping Galaxy Quest TV series

Paramount has plans to try to bring a TV series based on the cult hit film Galaxy Quest to the small screen.

Variety says that the effort includes Galaxy Quest co-writer Robert Gordon and director Dean Parisot, along with the film’s executive producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein (who have most recently worked on Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul).

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'd actually prefer a sequel but this would be fun, too. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

There a lot of old movies/shows being shopped to the networks/netflix/amazon,etc for a re-tooling/pick up where we left it (ala XFILES)

seems someone feels that those who still do watch broadcast tv and/or stream from pay sites would like to see the old familiars back in action

not sure if it is the same article shaved linked but i did read one that mentioned GQ and a list of other projects

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is one of my favorite movies. They initially wanted the original Trek cast to play themselves but Paramount intervened, as I recall. I'm glad because this cast was hilarious and meshed very well.

Too bad they never got the sequel out of the gate. They're still talking about it as a possibility.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Galaxy-Quest-2-May-Actually-Happen-Here-Why-66548.html

Better yet, a Galaxy Quest TV series is in the works. :) Paramount is shopping it around, and this link is from April of THIS year. There are dozens of other links to other sites confirming this:

I would much rather have this scifi fantasy comedy than a TV version of Abrams star dreck. And it is actually in the works from Paramount! They cant lose with it if they do the casting right, keep the original theme music (that is a HUGE part of the feel of the movie and of Star Trek). They do not need any of the original actors, but they do need ones with comedic abilities.

I have sent crawlers out to find anything more since Apr 21, but nothing new yet. :)

Watching Galaxy Quest again tonight!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Man I lost count now as to how many times I have watched it ...
I still have internal bruising from laughing so much the first time I watched it ... And that’s from 2001 when I watched the DVD I bought for a $5 . It still cracks me up because I can't stop thinking about Star Trek as I watch Galaxy Quest . When they leave the docking port and scrape the crap outta the ship , I loose it ... The looks on everyone’s faces and then that screeching sound just kills me . Then they clear the dock to big cheers as parts of the ship go flying off in all directions LOL !!! Haha ,,, too funny ...
Here's Sponge Bob and Patrick doing the same thing lol

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
You know I still don't know how I missed this when it was in the theatres back in 1999 .
I must have been off in lala land or something or work was just killing me and I never left the house . I just got the DVD by accident ... The cover caught my eye . Probably Sigourney's outfit ...

Do you think the release date had something to do with Space 1999 ! ? Or was it just a coincidence ... I think not ,,,

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, I'm not sure how I feel about this:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2015/04/paramount-reportedly-shopping-galaxy-quest-tv-series/

Paramount reportedly shopping Galaxy Quest TV series

Paramount has plans to try to bring a TV series based on the cult hit film Galaxy Quest to the small screen.

Variety says that the effort includes Galaxy Quest co-writer Robert Gordon and director Dean Parisot, along with the film’s executive producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein (who have most recently worked on Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul).

You posted this first!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You posted this first!

I just hope that it turns out to be good if they actually make the series. We all know how things we love can get screwed up by bad producers and bad writers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just hope that it turns out to be good if they actually make the series. We all know how things we love can get screwed up by bad producers and bad writers.

Agreed...this one has very little wiggle room in terms of how they do it. They MUST keep the comedic factor in place, they have to keep all of the youngsters off the actual spaceship, and they cannot go "dark" with it at all. It has to remain nerdy. Anybody trying to "make their mark" by making dumb unnecessary changes to things will ruin it. Keep hipster hacks away from it and get some REAL nerds from Trek conventions. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You know I still don't know how I missed this when it was in the theatres back in 1999 .
I must have been off in lala land or something or work was just killing me and I never left the house . I just got the DVD by accident ... The cover caught my eye . Probably Sigourney's outfit ...

Do you think the release date had something to do with Space 1999 ! ? Or was it just a coincidence ... I think not ,,,

Nah, the shows are in different genres. :) As fun and awesome as it is, Galaxy Quest is a fantasy comedy and not science fiction. It would have been competing with stuff like the Austin Powers movies which were being shown at that time. I missed it too! I was far too serious about my Star Trek devotion to want to see a parody of it, so I never saw Galaxy Quest until this March. I feel so ashamed! Funniest movie I have seen in a long time. One of my top 10 lifetime favorites now. :)

The scene which gets me rolling is when they are in the limousine and the Thermites are explaining who they are and Tim Allen is trying to chat up Laliari, and they explain that Laliari's translator is broken and she suddenly opens her mouth and her alien language comes out and see the look on Tim Allen's face I lose it.

Last edited: