Fringe ...Is it really that good?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The last episode made me particularly sad...

We won't have a new one for the next few weeks. :P

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I just love the Alt-U shows myself. The original Olivia is downright dour, while Faux-Olivia is totally sassy and has a sparkle in her eyes. But then with the young Olivia being experimented on I guess that is where she got that glum personality of hers.

Next to John Locke I am thinking Walter is one of the best characters that have been developed over the last ten years.

Hopefully with Desmond dropping by maybe Henry Ian Cusick will drag in a few Lost fans.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Me too, she's got spunk, even though she did all that stuff to Peter. A bit of Ivanova coming out of Alternate Olivia. Why are they confining themselves to two worlds? Wish aliens would show up, would be funny to see Walter be on the other side of the probing, lol.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I like the alternate Olivia as well. (and I never thought I'd say that, either)

It's actually interesting to see how she might have been, had the bad things in her life not happened to her.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to admit I have never seen Fringe - it keeps being on when I have stuff to do. I probably should go on Netflix and view a couple of episodes.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, now done with the entire "universe" of Stargate.

So, moved on to another show on my wishlist, started watching fringe as it is on amazon prime

I really like how someone finally decided it was time to sort of rehash x files, though in more terrestrial ways

I appreciate the fact that Lance Reddick had another 'full time' starring role. I think he is a very good actor-would like to see him play the role in some kind of space based sci fi-"hero type"--like a cpt kirk or col oneall, etc

Like the way the police/fbi work is blended with the scifi/fantasy aspects

I think Walter and the interaction with him and peter is sometimes the most hilarious stuff; especially the lines that are delivered in a way that are not obvious. Kind of the "oh by the way son, do you remember when you were 9 and i had those car batteries....?" As walter is hooking up peter to his "talk with the dead dude" machine

Though I know a lot of people can not stand the way Abrams and crew mesh things together (i know people who tell me they stopped watching LOST because they "didn't get it" or they got upset when they realized that they got snookered into watching a scifi/fantasy show when they thought they were getting another blase drama, like a fictional version of SURVIVOR). I really enjoy the way the observer is intro'd, we see him so quickly in shots; like the ep when the electric conductivity guy crashes the elevator-right as he is getting into the elevator, observer man is getting out-but not in any obvious way, just in a casual "extras" way.

On a side note-does anyone else get irked when either a British or Australian actor plays an american and then whenever they are interviewed they do it in their home accent? Small thing I know, but you are being interviewed about your role in an american show where you speak in an american accent-so why not continue with it?

(I would really like to see how andrew lincoln sounds (rick grimes);and was the role of rick in twd so un impressive that theyc ouldn't find an american to do it?)

anyhow, not reading any older comments here so as not to get jaded or overexpecting of the show based on others opinions so forgive me if i bring up anyhting that was previously discussed.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No, we get irked that they have to put on a yank accent to get on the show at all :lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
No, we get irked that they have to put on a yank accent to get on the show at all :lol:

Hey! Those kangaroo sodomizers are just lucky that us "yanks" are nice enough to give them the kind of paychecks they could never get "Dahn Undah". ;)

OMG -- been meaning to rant about this. There's this horrible commercial on TV here in the US for the "Outback Steakhouse" (a misnomer if ever there was one) that has this eager twat blathering in an overly faux-Aussie accent about the "naine naintee naine" entrees. :rolleyes:

Now we can all agree that an Australian accent is bad enough but an exaggerated fake one is even worse. It's the kind of thing that makes one want to drive a cocktail fork into their ears. Why the United Nations hasn't taken action on this aural travesty is beyond me; freakin' useless organization if ever there was one. :sulkiness:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

yeah, but having a FBI agent with a Top Secret clearance not be an american is kind of a hard sell

but in the real world, I find it interesting that more and more "dem dam filtie fereirners" are being used to take roles in US tv and movies--Is it because of= they work cheaper-no american will take the role (i would totally understand in the case of Rick Grimes and TWD)-no americans are deemed suitable (talent,etc) for the role?

Or perhaps a combo of these three or more reasons?

I have also seen shows from either Britain or Australia where an actor from either nation acting in the other has had to use either accent to suit the needs of the audience(?) or casting.

Jamie Bamber and Cate Blanchett come to mind-though I can't remember the shows/movies I saw them "in accent". I suppose there is some type of intra nation rivalry between Australia and England that aides in the necessity of this.

I wonder if a guy like Bamber ever wakes up and cant figure out what accent he should talk in for the day; American, Canadian, English or Australian (and I suppose NZ has one of their own as well)? For that matter, what accent does he dream in? Wonder if their is a Dx for this if it ever becomes an "issue" with someone; "accent dissonance disorder"? :sour:

Oh, the tribulations of the rich and famous...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
yeah, but having a FBI agent with a Top Secret clearance not be an american is kind of a hard sell

but in the real world, I find i interesting that more and more "dem dam filtie fereirners" are being used to take roles in US tv and movies--Is it because of= they work cheaper-no american will take the role (i would totally understand in the case of Rick Grimes and TWD)-no americans are deemed suitable (talent,etc) for the role?

Or perhaps a combo of these three or more reasons?

I think it's because America is still the gold standard when it comes to acting fame and fortune in the English speaking world. And from our perspective foreign actors have some cache' in terms of acting training. It's almost a given that a British actor will have some kind of Shakespearean training on his/her resume, or at least that's the American perception. I don't know how this applies to Canadian actors that find work here in the States though, and there are a ton of them. Since Canadians tend to be wayyyyyy more physically attractive* than Brits I don't have a problem with this though.

*I'm talking about Canadian actors, Bluce, namely the Ashmore twins (whom I'm going to make a "sandwich" with someday), so don't let this comment go to your pretty little muscle-bound Canadian head. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So who is considered the "trail blazer" of Australian actors to come to the US? Is it Mel "you wont like me when I am angry you fiflthy Christ-Killer you" Gibson (yes i know he is technically an American but raised Australian)?

Anyways, currently on the "computer download making peoples brains to mush" episode. Still everything pretty good so far. Though the inspector general character is very irritating-as I am sure he was meant to be-let me guess, he going to turn out to be very useful to the cause?

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
So who is considered the "trail blazer" of Australian actors to come to the US? Is it Mel "you wont like me when I am angry you fiflthy Christ-Killer you" Gibson (yes i know he is technically an American but raised Australian)?

Anyways, currently on the "computer download making peoples brains to mush" episode. Still everything pretty good so far. Though the inspector general character is very irritating-as I am sure he was meant to be-let me guess, he going to turn out to be very useful to the cause?

Right off the top, let me suggest that Peta Wilson from the original Nikita series would have to be one of the more successful trail blazers that I can remember. She goes back to about 1996.

This year I swear every third actor either comes from Great Britain or Australia. Good for them, bad for all North American actors of course.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Both Christian Bale and Henry Cavill are Brits playing/played the American icons, Batman and Superman. I don't mind really, doesn't matter.

Glad you're watching Fringe yongjin, hope you're enjoying the show. You seem to really get hung up on external things often, like this and that actor on the show, lol.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Both Christian Bale and Henry Cavill are Brits playing/played the American icons, Batman and Superman. I don't mind really, doesn't matter.

Glad you're watching Fringe yongjin, hope you're enjoying the show. You seem to really get hung up on external things often, like this and that actor on the show, lol.

well, by hobby and then in my major-i involve myself with "people watching". i think it is a by product ofbeing an only child of older parents (both parents were in their early and mid forties when i was born) so i often had to find ways to be entertained. Remember there were only 4 stations and no internet in the 70's :rolleye0014:

in shows, not only do i enjoy the fiction but i also find myself thinking often; now why would he/she give up what they have in australia/britain, etc to come here and do that show?

what is their personal motivation? are they ostracized at home? do they believe that acting in a show an america's fox network going to build them a fan base back home? etc,etc

there is a small field of study that crosses the disciplines of history, poli sci and psych-mostly at master's level and higher that involves the personal psychology of the history writer in his time. that is-for example Julius Caesar and his "Commentaries". what personality quirk or manner of pers psych caused him to write as detailed and extensively has he did? it was not at all common for roman genrals of his time to write such memoirs. did he think it a way of further aggrandizing himself or was he only concerned for getting it in print for posterity, etc?

What was William Wundt's (the "founder" of the discipline of psychology) personal psychology? What was it in him that made him interested in studying others and building an entire new academic discipline around it? Was he a narcissist who wished people to consider important that which he considered important-or did he have a passive altruistic streak that saw a need for developing the field?

You can do the same for the writers of "great novels" or the founders of different political ideaologies.

Of course i am more interested in the actual events but the "side show" gives you something to think of as well.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
in shows, not only do i enjoy the fiction but i also find myself thinking often; now why would he/she give up what they have in australia/britain, etc to come here and do that show?

what is their personal motivation? are they ostracized at home? do they believe that acting in a show an america's fox network going to build them a fan base back home? etc,etc

Working in an American production often means much bigger paychecks for the actor, higher production quality, and access to a far larger audience than in their home country. Simple as that.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Working in an American production often means much bigger paychecks for the actor, higher production quality, and access to a far larger audience than in their home country. Simple as that.

so does that mean mel Gibson is going back to Australia? He isn't making much money here these days.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
well, by hobby and then in my major-i involve myself with "people watching". i think it is a by product ofbeing an only child of older parents (both parents were in their early and mid forties when i was born) so i often had to find ways to be entertained. Remember there were only 4 stations and no internet in the 70's :rolleye0014:

there is a small field of study that crosses the disciplines of history, poli sci and psych-mostly at master's level and higher that involves the personal psychology of the history writer in his time. that is-for example Julius Caesar and his "Commentaries". what personality quirk or manner of pers psych caused him to write as detailed and extensively has he did? it was not at all common for roman genrals of his time to write such memoirs. did he think it a way of further aggrandizing himself or was he only concerned for getting it in print for posterity, etc?

What was William Wundt's (the "founder" of the discipline of psychology) personal psychology? What was it in him that made him interested in studying others and building an entire new academic discipline around it? Was he a narcissist who wished people to consider important that which he considered important-or did he have a passive altruistic streak that saw a need for developing the field?

You can do the same for the writers of "great novels" or the founders of different political ideaologies.

Of course i am more interested in the actual events but the "side show" gives you something to think of as well.
You're a psych major, thought you were a history major?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You're a psych major, thought you were a history major?

a double major

my history/poli sci credits were mainly earned while in the army with clep and dantes testing then finished in school with upper level courses and the 'capstone'

my initial and intended major is a social psychology one

since both are in the social sciences the course load overlapped nicely; for ex-the sociology and anthropolgy classes req'd for both majors were the same

the bureaucratic bastards at the school will not TELL YOU when/if you are earning enough credits for a double major or even for a minor. you have to discover it for yourself. the thing is they want you to grad-look at your transcript and then come back and re-enroll for the second major-they get more money that way

watching how that apparatus of professors/admin and students interoperate was an education in and of itself

being an "adult non traditional student gives an insight that most students do not get as the professors-being close to my age, befriend you easier and tell you the "hey dont tell anyone I said this.." stuff

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Ahh, yeah, Physics and Math also have a lot of overlap in my uni. Some people double major in that here cause it's just an extra year to get a math degree.