Fringe ...Is it really that good?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I've been hearing a lot of good things about this show but frankly the premiere episode wasn't captivating as say, X-files(and yes I am a big fan of x-files). However, the real question is it really that good?
Also I've read reports about the science in the show is a little off?

Being a science and a science fiction lover in general, I'll give the show a bit of leeway and how far they stretch it from the truth(after all it's fictional).However, I don't want stuff as farfetched like the science in the movie "core(LMAO)"

Will I like fringe?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've been hearing a lot of good things about this show but frankly the premiere episode wasn't captivating as say, X-files(and yes I am a big fan of x-files). However, the real question is it really that good?
Also I've read reports about the science in the show is a little off?

Being a science lover and a science fiction in general I'll give the show a bit of leeway how far they stretch it from the truth(after all it's fictional). So I am a little generous sometimes. However, I don't want stuff as farfetched like the science in the movie "core(LMAO)"

Will I like fringe?

Im interested too...

Im really sorta enjoying these new scifi "treasure hunts" going on since the impending funeral of Stargate and no Trek. We have the little-known gems being watched now. Im discovering lots of cool scifi on Netflix and in these threads on this site. Fringe is yet another show I have not seen a single episode of. I hope people weigh in on this thread. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Im interested too...

Im really sorta enjoying these new scifi "treasure hunts" going on since the impending funeral of Stargate and no Trek. We have the little-known gems being watched now. Im discovering lots of cool scifi on Netflix and in these threads on this site. Fringe is yet another show I have not seen a single episode of. I hope people weigh in on this thread. :)

Although don't like the metacritic score :S

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/fringe

67/100.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I wouldn't place too much value in those metacritic ratings, I mean I think SGU started off with something crazy.

Yes, this show is freakin awesome. Ok, will try to attempt an objective look at things:

The first season involves the show finding its footing and giving subtle hints of a longer arc involving some conflict to come. It's more episodic initially with some team-building aspects and character discoveries that are relevant with subtle hints of the bigger plot arc and the enemy slightly. Very episodic.

The second season delves into things further and you find out things that hint towards this massive plot arc. There are various plot arcs intertwined but they all seem to indicate that they all come together somehow in the future. You find out more about the enemy and how it all sort of started. Actions in the past having drastic effects. Becomes more serialized.

The third season is the season where all the fans just went sort of nuts. By that, I mean they couldn't believe how great it got. Of course this doesn't do anything for you so here goes. You get back and forth episodes between the enemy and the good guys. However, you start to question if the enemy is really the enemy? Are they only trying to save themselves? In this season, you also get this mythological/historical aspect to the show in the background. Heavily serialized, thick storytelling.

Overall, I'd say imagine the initial good seasons of Alias and Lost where things seem to be building up but done in X-Files fashion, sort of. The set up for the massive plots they have are similar to the introduction of the Shadow in Babylon 5. Not an introduction to the enemy, just a sort of buildup of lots of things coming together that you have no idea what will happen next. It ties in some bits of myth/history, current character dilemmas/situations, characters that you appreciate and root for, questionable enemies, uncertainty about how it'll end, great amounts of humour, shades of gray, storytelling can get really dark at times, and coalescing mini-plots into this giant uncertain plot.

I know this might seem like a glowing review but I'll do some bad points too: the first season is kinda too episodic and might turn you off initially but just imagine this to be like the first season of Babylon 5, kinda introducing the players and slight hints of things to come. Don't expect completely accurate science in this, it's more popular science stuff. But this is to be expected with all sci-fi shows. There is a slight gross factor involved, there are some things that are yucky. I can't think of any more right now but think that's just my fandom preventing me.

Hope that helps.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I adore Fringe and have become quite addicted to my weekly dose of Dr Walter Bishop. John Noble has created a truly unforgettable character in this brilliant though befuddled man.

And who else would have taken the time to give a dose of homemade LSD to a giant cold virus?

Seriously. :D

S

Stonelesscutter

I've seen an episode of Fringe a long time ago and it really gave me a "Oh my god you've got to be kidding me" feeling.
Perhaps I've just seen a wrong episode but it didn't appeal to me.
But as you see there are people here that love the show so I probably never gave it the chance it deserves.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
lol I clicked on the wrong thread...

So...I gave this show another shot this morning, and I am still 50/50. I am getting a vibe of CSI meets X-files. I mean erm...using the drug LSD to create a synaptic link?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
JJ Abrams is the Devil.

You didn't like the new Star Trek??? I actually liked it a lot, and I hate everything so that's saying something.

If need be you can start a new thread and/or take it to "Anything goes" (clean or dirty). I'd love to know more about why you didn't like it T. You always have such a good take on these things.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
You didn't like the new Star Trek??? I actually liked it a lot, and I hate everything so that's saying something.

If need be you can start a new thread and/or take it to "Anything goes" (clean or dirty). I'd love to know more about why you didn't like it T. You always have such a good take on these things.
Done!

Hm... where to put the thread...

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Just wasn't my taste, I got tired of that plotline.and hated the love triangle.
Where did you stop? It got crazy good though, and they don't really focus on the love triangle too long. Plus the alternate crew is pretty fun to watch with all their new tech.

pm1234

GateFans Noob
I've seen all the Fringe episodes so far. Started watching because at the time I was a Lost fan. But considering how that ended, I'm wary Fringe will be any better, if not worse.

The Lost ending felt like a cop-out with so many unanswered questions. As for how Fringe is going:

Given that Peter was required to activate the machine and now never existed in that world, they just jumped into a paradox which should have ripped the universe apart (not 2 of them together). Looks like it will be another co-out ending.

But I'm still gonna watch, if only to see what combination of drugs Walter thinks of next.:icon_e_surprised:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I've seen all the Fringe episodes so far. Started watching because at the time I was a Lost fan. But considering how that ended, I'm wary Fringe will be any better, if not worse.

The Lost ending felt like a cop-out with so many unanswered questions. As for how Fringe is going:

Given that Peter was required to activate the machine and now never existed in that world, they just jumped into a paradox which should have ripped the universe apart (not 2 of them together). Looks like it will be another co-out ending.

But I'm still gonna watch, if only to see what combination of drugs Walter thinks of next.:icon_e_surprised:
Another fan of Walter, eh?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
This love crap is getting annoying, glad we got to know who the observers are but was hoping they would be aliens. Peter going into his mind was really awesome.