Fringe ...Is it really that good?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so now in season 2 ep 8 or 9-the ep where the massive D scientists "son" is 'convincing' everyone to help him. So maybe its just me, but wasn't it obvious that he was the one who set it up? that he wasn't 'kidnapped' at all-i could tell by the way the 'kidnappers' were looking at the cops and how they were saying stuff like "you dont want to do that" etc

anyhow-i still think it is an enjoyable show-so far

really like the 'mad scientist' deal with walter and his back and forth with peter and astrid

how is it though that they seem to be able to get from Boston to NYC-or to lansdale pa- in a very short time? is it just TPTB 'liberties' or something else at play that will be revealed later (i am guessing the tptb liberties thing though)?

and what is it with JJ Abrams and his using old computers for "communications"?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
lol, I love how walter constantly says her name wrong. Astro, please bring the pig's blood here. It's astrid. And there's just a random cow in the lab lol. Show's great, yeah? Wait til you get to season 3.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
lol, I love how walter constantly says her name wrong. Astro, please bring the pig's blood here. It's astrid. And there's just a random cow in the lab lol. Show's great, yeah? Wait til you get to season 3.

I am seeing some similarities with LOST-well ,duh-Abrams. I am just hoping there is not going to be flash fwd flash back overuse in coming episodes

I also find it strange that I like LOST and FRINGE but dislike-not hate- New Star Trek.

can't give any specific reasons, just the way it is

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
just finished the ep "PETER"--that was almost like we watched a season and a half of 'prologue' when we could have just started with this ep.

so something tells me that the 'mastermind' in the other universe is the other Walter.

We hear our Walter say he would do anything for family so I am sure the other one would do all these things to get his son back

In S1 with all the "pattern" events and walter saying the events were from his research and that someone was doing it to showoff. Perhaps that someone is the other walter and his showing off is a way to tell our walter that he is on his way.
I think Bell is in the other verse to try and fight the alter Walter. That is why Jones wanted to get through to kill Bell-maybe he is working for Walter and it is alter Walter who wrote the ZFT manifesto?

See how close I get if at all

of course the temptation to wiki it is there by I do like the "waiting and watching" game on my part.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Don't spoil the story for yourself. All will be revealed as you go along. I didn't really watch Lost past season 1. It got too stupid with the constant flashbacks and really contrived connections between all the people. The flashbacks they do on Fringe, I think, have more relevance and connections to the whole storyline. Lost seemed more along the lines of sensationalism and seemed to be going for the 'holy crap' factor rather than telling a cohesive story.

You gotta respect the acting of the guy that does Walter though. The kooky Walter and the very different Walternate.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Don't spoil the story for yourself. All will be revealed as you go along. I didn't really watch Lost past season 1. It got too stupid with the constant flashbacks and really contrived connections between all the people. The flashbacks they do on Fringe, I think, have more relevance and connections to the whole storyline. Lost seemed more along the lines of sensationalism and seemed to be going for the 'holy crap' factor rather than telling a cohesive story.

You gotta respect the acting of the guy that does Walter though. The kooky Walter and the very different Walternate.

"walternate?" guess maybe i'll find out tomorrow when i start watching again...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

halfway, or so, through S3.

i am seeing "contrived connections". Like how is it Olivia and Peter do not remember each other when they had a fairly significant event together when they were 8?

how is it that these people-with seemingly previous connections to one another were randomly put together (now that sounds like Lost) by Olivia just doing a web search for a scientist who experimented with translucent skin? Walter just happens to pop up and Olivia picks him?

When faux Olivia comes over she seems to know all about the shapeshifters and Walternate's plan (and the pattern?) but when she goes back to her side, she seems to know nothing of the shapeshifters? This seems to be disconnecting.

Why does the alternate fringe team seem so "comic bookish superhero type" in their actions?

We keep getting more and more eps' that seem to have been contrived just to address the personal relationship of Olivia and Peter (like the one where the old lady is seeing her "husband")-this is seemingly personal drama that is becoming irritating. The body switching and sexual escapades brought on are just a tad reminiscent of SGU. maybe thats because i just watched SGU?

This show is more intricate and woven then LOST--particularly from the perspective of the "men behind the curtain"--LOST was the characters-with the island as character. FRINGE gives us backstory and motive on the people who placed things in motion but still has the same mechanisms of LOST. I like it,just as much as LOST, so far, maybe more (?) by the time it is over.

Just me, or anyone else get a bit more interested with the episode with the broadcasted numbers and first people--made me think directly of LOST--those numbers and the question left unanswered of who created the island. i was hoping for a tie in to lost-the first people-with 4 toes:)-as the island's creators. J,IMO but that would have been a boost to the interest level.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, the love story really killed the show, I think. It became the focal point of the show, ruining it. I loved the back and forth though with Olivia. I really like Alt-Olivia, she's got spunk.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, the love story really killed the show, I think. It became the focal point of the show, ruining it. I loved the back and forth though with Olivia. I really like Alt-Olivia, she's got spunk.
the more eps i watch the more it "bothers" me about how faux olivia knows about the shapeshifters "here" but back home she appears to know nothing.

don't understand why they haven't spoke more to the ep with the pointy cube things coming up from and back into the ground--in the first ep with an 'obvious' observer appearance. they seemed important objects- i can only guess they will be back in importance later?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
done with season 4. s5 not on amazon prime and i dont think i want to pay $2 an ep.

so i know what the drilling cube things are-some type of observer transport device

now that s4 is done, still no answers on the issue of the original, mercury filled shapeshifters. we know they were working for walternate and that f olivia knows of them-she was giving them orders in "our" universe.

but know that the two worlds have gotten together-no mention of them, just the new hybrid ones made by Jones/Bell- and Walternate and company are like "shapeshifters what are they?"And now faux olivia is being made out as some poor girl, lost her partner, she is really a good person- type of stuff. I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE SHAPESHIFTERS DAMN IT! :D

In the ep where people are infected with nannites and burn up, we are introduced to that red headed actress-the one who was on LOST as well-so she tricks olivia and somehow traps an observer-how did she do this?

I did pay for the first ep of s5 but not seeing any sign of answers to these and other questions. Do they get answered?

and what was the reason for the middle of the road "reset?" when peter gets in the machine and then disappears only to come back on no one knows him? as well as many of the events that were investigated before the fringe division knows nothing about? I see no reason for this "etch a sketching" of the plot. Did TPTB just get desperate and decided to just say "ah "f" it, lets mess it all up and confuse more people then we did with LOST"

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I gave this a bit of a break because well, I don't want to burn through the entire show :p.I stopped at season 2 but have thoroughly enjoyed it thus far.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
First half of season 3 was the best for me.

yongjin, I think they uh completely got rid of the shapeshifter thing maybe.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
First half of season 3 was the best for me.

yongjin, I think they uh completely got rid of the shapeshifter thing maybe.

yes they dropped it after the hybrid shifters. but it was the mercury filled ones-the ones who traveled in pods and then "hatched" when they crossed universes. the dying one referred to Walter as "sir" he thought it was walternate-and they took orders from faux olivia after she crossed over.

then it was all dropped with no mention by "the other side" of oh yes we sent those nasty things over to you...

of course one could assume that bell made them for walternate just as he made his own hybrid ones later-but this was never said or shown

and yeah, i broke down and bought a few eps of s5-litle to no mention of what went on before-almost like it was a diff show.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ok, so I broke down and bought all of S5...it was worth it.

So, they did tie in some of the earlier seen "oddities" and "terror tools" in the latter eps.

Show still could have ended quite nicely with S4 finale though.

-------------SPOILERS (YES, I admit I am totally ignorant as to how to place in the proper tag)----------------------------------------------------------------

By "undoing" the observer's origins shouldn't they were clever in giving a subtle "out" for Peter not being "undone" as well. Nice. Shows a bit of forethought in writing for a change.

I wonder if TPTB considered the implications of the Observer mythos they created? If so, was it before hand and intentional or afterwards? That is they say in the vision of the future that the observers were created through gentic manipulation in Norway-presumably from local DNA sources. What message does it give to say that the future earth is ruled by genetically altered, tech enhanced white Nordic males? "Master Race" much J.J. ?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sometimes trying to find images bites you in the ass.

NEVER search for images of "cannot use spoiler tags"

:( :( :(

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I'm not gonna read what you've said about season 4 and 5 cause I haven't seen it but the way you spoiler things is
then write here what you wanna spoiler and end with, hit reply to my post to see what I wrote

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm not gonna read what you've said about season 4 and 5 cause I haven't seen it but the way you spoiler things is
then write here what you wanna spoiler and end with, hit reply to my post to see what I wrote
uh, yeah..so where do you click on the spoiler thingy box? I am not seeing it above with the font and lettering, etc

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
There is no click thing for it, you have to manually type in the code for it which is {SPOILER} write stuff in here {/SPOILER} but replace the "{" and "}" with "[" and "]"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There is no click thing for it, you have to manually type in the code for it which is {SPOILER} write stuff in here {/SPOILER} but replace the "{" and "}" with "[" and "]"
"["ahh!"]"