For All Mankind (Ronald Moore) Apple TV

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
yeah,,, geez... safest way is to just get one i suppose

funny you mention "dictatorial" - they- the BBC/ Govt is still demanding you help pay for the govt tv service even when you are paying for every other service / streamers. It made a bit of sense before when they had the entertainment monopoly way back when, hard to justify now though
It's basically a hidden tax that is not very well hidden.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I really enjoyed this show and can't wait for the next season. Some scenes reminded me other similar scenes in one of my favorite movies, The Martian.
One of the things I really like about this show is it brings you to a place of mind where the world was amazed with much lesser technology that we all just take for granted. It is a bit annoying is how the whole battle between USA and Russia feels a bit over the top at times, but I suppose maybe it would be like that if the space race or cold war never ended.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's okay, l rate it better than most of the Apple TV lineup (right behind Ted Lasso). For shows that just suck I would say See and Foundation.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just finished watching season 3. Man, this is a good show! Probably the best season yet, and I'm definitely looking forward to more.

I have no problem stating, that this show, is probably the best sci-fi show on TV right now. It is on par with The Expanse, but it is a very different show. The quality is top-notch. I think Apple should be proud of this show, and I say this as someone who has no affinity for Apple whatsoever.

Sure, there's drama in this show. But it's not bad drama. There's social justice stuff for sure, but it's not badly done. I was actually emotionally moved by certain clearly social justice things, even though I saw them coming and correctly called them. I don't want to give it away, so I'm being intentionally vague.

@YJ02 If you haven't already, please give this show a chance.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just finished watching season 3. Man, this is a good show! Probably the best season yet, and I'm definitely looking forward to more.

I have no problem stating, that this show, is probably the best sci-fi show on TV right now. It is on par with The Expanse, but it is a very different show. The quality is top-notch. I think Apple should be proud of this show, and I say this as someone who has no affinity for Apple whatsoever.

Sure, there's drama in this show. But it's not bad drama. There's social justice stuff for sure, but it's not badly done. I was actually emotionally moved by certain clearly social justice things, even though I saw them coming and correctly called them. I don't want to give it away, so I'm being intentionally vague.

as soon as you watch the finale of DARK....

but, since its been so long, you'd be lost and you'll have to rewatch the whole thing.. so I got some time :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

You ever get a chance to watch SERVANT on APPLE TV yet?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Nope. @Quetesh is pretty much in charge of our playlists lately. Maybe she can put it on the list.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Does she have SG-1 on the playlist?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
No, she does not. I don't either to be honest. I'm staying away from it for a while, so I can at some point rewatch it with some fondness.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Sounds both fascinating and a bit too soapy for me. I like the what if Idea - although the idea of Teddy Kennedy being president is scarier than what Biden is doing now.

I never understood why we didn't stay in space....we should have a moon and a Mars base by now!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Sounds both fascinating and a bit too soapy for me. I like the what if Idea - although the idea of Teddy Kennedy being president is scarier than what Biden is doing now.

I never understood why we didn't stay in space....we should have a moon and a Mars base by now!
They wanted to, but the astronauts got bored. :D

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They wanted to, but the astronauts got bored. :D
so, maybe i missed the detail, but how do they have gravity- as in they do not float and do not wear weights, inside the Moon base?

Midway through S2 and I do not think I have heard this discussed

and when is that Cadet going back to Annapolis! Geez, they only get like 6 weeks off in the Summer- if that much :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
so, maybe i missed the detail, but how do they have gravity- as in they do not float and do not wear weights, inside the Moon base?

Midway through S2 and I do not think I have heard this discussed

and when is that Cadet going back to Annapolis! Geez, they only get like 6 weeks off in the Summer- if that much :)
Do they wear magnetic boots? I'm not sure.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Do they wear magnetic boots? I'm not sure.
no i have seen some wearing sneakers and some wearing no shoes. i know the moon has some gravity, but not enough
maybe they are just hoping viewers will give them a Mulligan on the technical issues?

oh no! does this make the show not sci fi enough for the devoutly orthodox? :)

@Overmind One @Joelist @Atlantis

also, is S3 the last, or more to come?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The moon has 1/6 Earth gravity. So they would not float away - look at coverage of the Apollo moon landings and walking on the surface to see what it would be like.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The moon has 1/6 Earth gravity. So they would not float away - look at coverage of the Apollo moon landings and walking on the surface to see what it would be like.
correct, the sort of bounce

and, in the show, when on the moon's surface they do that, but inside of the moon base, they walk as if on earth. same with all objects- like office paper, etc

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
some answers for the throngs at quora and reddit, obviously fans... "cause it would be stupid to waste production money.."
The moon has gravity, just like the Earth in that it works inside as well as outside. But the moon's gravity is only one sixth as strong as the Earth’s.
A TV show like FAM saves money on expensive FX by reserving it for moonwalks while inside characters pretend as if gravity is low and they try to avoid showing things falling. The showrunners should probably invest more in little details like showing low-g inside the habitat more often.

The lack of 1/6 G is probably due to the budget, which sucks but implementing 1/6 G would be expensive as hell

or, astro suits is what make them bounce on the moon!

got to love crowd sourced science

Also, their space suits are super bulky, that's why astronauts have that weird bounce/walk; while they're in Jamestown, they can walk more normally.

response:
Yeah, that's just not true.

It might contribute to some of the movement, but you would not be moving around the way they do in 1/6th gravity, suit or no.

i guess in s1 they did do scenes showing 1/6 G inside the base, and it is just somehow implied that with the passing of time and the expansion of the base and new tech, the ability to walk entirely normal just happened -- why this show is more of a Drama then sci fi.. more "what if? Fi"

There’s also a scene in the first season where Ed slams Gordo against the wall and that is clearly showing 1/6 G but yeah generally they aren’t depicting it because it’s be too hard to film

BUT, they filmed lack of gravity and its effects in the EXPANSE, many, many times. pulled it off well too. If APPLE cannot match AMAZON on thew VFX aspects, will APPLE TV ever be able to compete?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
no i have seen some wearing sneakers and some wearing no shoes. i know the moon has some gravity, but not enough
maybe they are just hoping viewers will give them a Mulligan on the technical issues?

oh no! does this make the show not sci fi enough for the devoutly orthodox? :)

@Overmind One @Joelist @Atlantis

also, is S3 the last, or more to come?
I assume there will be. They left it wide open for follow-up.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is an okay show, actually not bad. The same cannot be said of other shows like "See" or the execrable Foundation.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
me, and hundreds of other people in my immediate physical surrounds kind of sort of 'watched' SEE

don't ask me what happened in the show

why did we watch though?

well ,the show is set, generally, HERE! the village in S1 where Momoa's character is living, Alkenny.. short for "Allegheny" is here. somewhere in or on the periphery of the Allegheny National Forest

and the Kanzua people and the dam they live in? the Kinzua Dam and massive reservoir that is on the ANF

Queen Kane, the Royal Family? their name taken from the the town of Kane? which is about midway between me and the Dam

Pennsa? State College PA of course! they even made a very bad copy of the on campus statue of the Nittany Lion

so, many of us found it interesting how they tried to play off the Vancouver area for North Central, Central PA and the Pittsburgh area. kind of pathetic in the end result-- we have no 'rocky mountains' in PA

This is an okay show, actually not bad. The same cannot be said of other shows like "See" or the execrable Foundation.
you ever try watching wither TED LASSO or SERVANT? those two shows are miles above SEE