For All Mankind (Ronald Moore) Apple TV

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BOOOOOOOORING! How unoriginal - and not only that this looks another Extant series all over again. A melodrama with a sci-fi thin layer of coating on it.

I look at concept "what if" shows like this with side eye myself. It's why I am uninterested in Man in the High Castle.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
My wife got an Apple TV for Christmas and we installed it today. She put on this show this afternoon and we're still watching it now after midnight. It's a good show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I got bored by the show. What type of Apple TV did she get and what are your impressions of the device?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
My wife got an Apple TV for Christmas and we installed it today. She put on this show this afternoon and we're still watching it now after midnight. It's a good show.
you know you can watch apple tv without an apple tv

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
i got to ep 3 and stopped.. yes boring
This is true but you need to have the right type of devices and our set up is pretty complex with multiple routers, hdmi switcher and every paid streaming services you can think of. We have all the big 3 ones in the USA and the UK and now thanks for the Apple TV our apps are much handier.

I am really liking this show, I have read online that it gets better as it continues into season 2 and it has been picked up for season 3.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is true but you need to have the right type of devices and our set up is pretty complex with multiple routers, hdmi switcher and every paid streaming services you can think of. We have all the big 3 ones in the USA and the UK and now thanks for the Apple TV our apps are much handier.

I am really liking this show, I have read online that it gets better as it continues into season 2 and it has been picked up for season 3.
idk about all that; our ROKU tv's keep us highly satisfied

only issue was the one i used was the oldest in the house; it needed replaced as it could not handle the ROKU upgrades pushed down- among which included apple tv

used to have sat hooked to it and cable at the same time- but then got rid of sat and went all wireless with "cable" (no cable tv just high speed)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The show is not boring. You guys are missing out.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was curious what you thought of the Apple TV box. I got gifted one last year and the hardware is insanely powerful, which for me at least led to a butter smooth UI.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ted Lasso is funny. Foundation was embarrassing and insulting.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
guys racing corvettes... bad American clothing,,, maybe later, like when Hollywood is entirely out of ideas later :)
I think Apollo 13 is a great movie, and this show is quite a lot like it and more. So there are a couple of things that put you off. Big deal. That racing of corvettes was one scene and served only to establish the type of personality of the pilots, Top-Gun-style. But the vast majority of the time the show depicts those characters having to deal with extremely serious situations and handling them. Given the strict policies involved with living the life of an astronaut, it is not at all uncharacteristic either to go a little overboard when finally having some time off the leash. The show is filled with all kinds of drama. Here's a little clip of something that might whet your appetite.

View: https://youtu.be/e-E1lkOiXEg

I don't really give a damn about any of the characters individually. Still, I am hooked on the show and invested in the story. I believe that's due to good writing. But suit yourselves of course.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I was curious what you thought of the Apple TV box. I got gifted one last year and the hardware is insanely powerful, which for me at least led to a butter smooth UI.
I don't really have a decent opinion of the Apple TV box yet. To be honest, we experienced pains while setting it up, which didn't need to happen. Also the first day every time we watched an episode of the show, it wouldn't automatically start the next one, we'd have to go through the menu, find the show again, then find the episode we last watched and manually start the next one. So that's a pretty poor user experience and first impression. But it seemed to be automatically starting the next episodes on day two, so things are looking up. I'm not sure how to judge the power of the hardware. It plays media. Like several other devices we have. There is no discernable difference.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I think Apollo 13 is a great movie, and this show is quite a lot like it and more. So there are a couple of things that put you off. Big deal. That racing of corvettes was one scene and served only to establish the type of personality of the pilots, Top-Gun-style. But the vast majority of the time the show depicts those characters having to deal with extremely serious situations and handling them. Given the strict policies involved with living the life of an astronaut, it is not at all uncharacteristic either to go a little overboard when finally having some time off the leash. The show is filled with all kinds of drama. Here's a little clip of something that might whet your appetite.

I don't really give a damn about any of the characters individually. Still, I am hooked on the show and invested in the story. I believe that's due to good writing. But suit yourselves of course.
Nah, that's nothing like Apollo 13 is a lot slower in pace compared to that video View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwG4F-16Tno

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

the show is so full of toxic masculinity...just ewwww! :)

i will probably watch it at some point
I don't really have a decent opinion of the Apple TV box yet. To be honest, we experienced pains while setting it up, which didn't need to happen. Also the first day every time we watched an episode of the show, it wouldn't automatically start the next one, we'd have to go through the menu, find the show again, then find the episode we last watched and manually start the next one. So that's a pretty poor user experience and first impression. But it seemed to be automatically starting the next episodes on day two, so things are looking up. I'm not sure how to judge the power of the hardware. It plays media. Like several other devices we have. There is no discernable difference.
off topic question

in N Ire, do you have to have a tv license or whatever they call it in England?

if so, than if one has a smart tv, like an apple tv or roku tv and does not hook up to a cable/ broadcast tv, do you still have to pay this if all you do is stream?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
in N Ire, do you have to have a tv license or whatever they call it in England?

if so, than if one has a smart tv, like an apple tv or roku tv and does not hook up to a cable/ broadcast tv, do you still have to pay this if all you do is stream?

Yes, they have the TV license here. It is a part of the UK. I won't pretend to fully understand the rules around it. But we have had a TV license from the start. It's best to let the TV Licensing people explain it themselves.

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

You only need one TV Licence per household, even if you use more than one of the devices listed above. A TV Licence costs £159 for colour TV, and £53.50 for black and white.

So it seems that you only require a license to watch live broadcast. The definition of what is considered live broadcast is however very broad.

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on any online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It covers all programmes on any channel, including soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:
  • if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
  • for all channels, not just the BBC
  • if you record a programme and watch it later
  • if you watch a programme on a delay
  • to watch or record repeats
  • to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
  • to watch live programmes on Red Button services
  • even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services
An online TV service is any streaming or smart TV service, website or app that lets you watch live TV over the internet. This includes services like All 4, Sky Go, Virgin Media, Now TV, BT TV, Apple TV, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and ITV Hub. Find out more about watching online and on mobile devices.

So basically pretty much EVERYONE is required to have a TV license. Well, one per household. It seems to be a rather quirky and dare I say "dictatorial" rule.

I only watch non-UK channels, do I need a licence?
Yes, you need a TV Licence to watch any TV channels live (broadcast or online), even if these are from outside the UK. This applies no matter what device you’re using.

You can read more about this ridiculousness at the source below.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, they have the TV license here. It is a part of the UK. I won't pretend to fully understand the rules around it. But we have had a TV license from the start. It's best to let the TV Licensing people explain it themselves.

So it seems that you only require a license to watch live broadcast. The definition of what is considered live broadcast is however very broad.

So basically pretty much EVERYONE is required to have a TV license. Well, one per household. It seems to be a rather quirky and dare I say "dictatorial" rule.

You can read more about this ridiculousness at the source below.

yeah,,, geez... safest way is to just get one i suppose

funny you mention "dictatorial" - they- the BBC/ Govt is still demanding you help pay for the govt tv service even when you are paying for every other service / streamers. It made a bit of sense before when they had the entertainment monopoly way back when, hard to justify now though