Firefly - SGU and De-evolution

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I know, I know, it's from Castle...but it's still Captain Tightpants...

1063234758_GeEnC-S-1.jpg
I love the expression on his face. I was inside my building when I took the shot, so I wasn't able to hear what made his eyes bug out like that. LOL

They're filming part of an episode of Castle today (Monday) in downtown Los Angeles. I may see if I can snag a few more shots of His Awesomeness.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Firefly-related music

http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/The+Hero+Of+Canton/132Ykz?src=5 Sung by Adam "Jayne" Baldwin, himself

http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Mal+s+Song/132YiX?src=5

Thought you might enjoy it.

The music site these are from, Grooveshark.com IS legal, and you don't have to sign up to listen to the music there. They have a HUGE collection of music there, probably even stuff you remember from years ago, but which you have been unable to find. And no, you don't have to install a player or anything like that to listen.

:)

P

phronsie

The reevers are also a great enemy
even though you dont see them close up so to speak and there no dialogue with them (from what i remember)
and Serenitys premise and explanation of the reevers is a great twist.

The Reavers are probably THE best Sci Fi villian species on TV; they were frankly a terrifying concept -- Joss did soooo good with this. I think the Wraith (at least early on) came in 2nd, which is no small feat, as an effective and terrifying enemy.

P

phronsie

My only nitpics so far is Summer Glau's character River.

It's obvious in the hiring of the actress for Chloe, but does anyone else see a trend in hiring Summer Glau types since the cult rise of Firefly?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The Reavers are probably THE best Sci Fi villian species on TV; they were frankly a terrifying concept -- Joss did soooo good with this. I think the Wraith (at least early on) came in 2nd, which is no small feat, as an effective and terrifying enemy.

I agree the Reavers were terrifying but I didn't get how they were wild animals who could pilot starships. The Wraith had intelligence but the Reavers came across as being completely feral, something that doesn't lend itself to operating complicated machinery.

Granted, I haven't seen all of "Firefly" so I might be wrong here in some respects.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Part of the appeal of Firefly is Kaylee and River, and the friendship that forms. River really can't fit in anywhere but on Serenity in part because of what the Alliance did to her.

That said, I loved the episode "Objects in Space" with the bounty hunter Jubal Early, and how it turned out he was beyond his depth in trying to defeat River.

Interesting aside. Back when Firely was just off the air and during the fan campaigns to revive it they did a poll on the women of Firefly asking which one men would most want to be in a relationship with (it was a guys only poll). Winner in a landslide.......Kaylee!

P

phronsie

I squealed like a teenager when Castle wore his "Firefly" costume for Halloween, and my heart broke just a little.....

Cap'n Mal 4EVAH!!!! lol

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I squealed like a teenager when Castle wore his "Firefly" costume for Halloween, and my heart broke just a little.....

Cap'n Mal 4EVAH!!!! lol
You may wish to know that the catalyzer from Firefly (which Mr Fillion apparently liberated from the Firefly set) was under his right arm when he walked into the room.

;)

I've got to get the Castle panel from ComicCon online. Epic stuff. LOL

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If that were the case then why didn't "none of the above" win?

As to Objects in Space, are you referring to River acting like she is Serenity?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ITA! I loved her character but she was TOTALLY weird.

Was that an option? Is there a link to that poll? :confused: IDK, I'm just inclined to think she won by default.

If you're asking about River being weird, then I'm talking about the entire show. She freaked out and sliced open Jayne's chest, almost shot Mal but luckily Simon said the "secret word" and put her to sleep in the movie, and being lobotomized several times over - Yes, she's just plain weird. That doesn't mean I don't like her because I do, but I wouldn't want to be with her. Friends would be the key word.

Would you want to sleep with a guy like that every night?

All the weird stuff she did in that show was so deliciously over the top, and like you said. I was fascinated by her character but I sure wouldnt want to be with her or even CONSIDER leaving my door unlocked with her onboard. She was full of surprises!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The poll was done a while ago. I imagine it is buried somewhere on fireflyfans.net.

And no I don't think anyone would logically want a relationship with River of the series. However, remember that in the movie while on the Reaver homeworld she finally achieved control over herself. Then later on she goes into what she had to believe was a suicidal fight to protect Simon. She winds up being the pilot in training on Serenity.

As to Objects in Space, I admit I loved it when Jubal Early figured out River was hiding in his ship and using the comm system to "gaslight" him.

Really, I do think all who aspire to write SciFi for TV should have to watch the entire Firefly series first - to see how it is done.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
late comer to the franchise- huge firefly fan now!

The network really screwed up w/ Firefly. They showed the episodes out of order (which was just plain stupid, or deliberate sabotage perhaps? Of course I can't claim to know the real reasons) - and they cancelled the show before it had been discovered by a lot of people. The fact the show's fanbase is still growing today speaks to the great opportunity the shortsighted network execs missed.

Firefly had great characters, great music, great writing, and great acting! It was the total package. Loved it. Although, I must say I didn't like episode fourteen and I can see why due to some of the content in that episode it wouldn't have gone over very well on a mainstream network (if I remember correctly it was never aired, but is on the DVD). So if future episodes were to continue in that direction, I'm not sure I would still be such a huge fan of the show. Now, we'll never know :(

I do have one logical complaint about the Reavers, but I excuse it because the story is so good. But here it is. Anyone have thoughts on it? Some explanation I'm missing or something?

It doesn't make sense there are so many Reavers! If they are so out of control agressive, how do they calm down enough to ever do anything requiring brainpower for their own survival? Also, if they fly around without containment with no regard for their own lives, how come they all aren't dying really fast? How are there so many after ten years? Also, if they are always cutting on themselves and sporting open wounds, how come they don't die from infections? It makes no sense to me. Does the PAX also make them immune to infection?

After watching the series several times and the movie I have come to the conclusion:
that reavers are constantly replacing their numbers due to the PAX...I think it promotes some sort of "infection" in them that is actually contagious- they encounter normal people and a few of those get "infected" and join their numbers as others die. also we get the impression it was MILLIONS that became reavers- or atleast I did!

The poll was done a while ago. I imagine it is buried somewhere on fireflyfans.net.

And no I don't think anyone would logically want a relationship with River of the series. However, remember that in the movie while on the Reaver homeworld she finally achieved control over herself. Then later on she goes into what she had to believe was a suicidal fight to protect Simon. She winds up being the pilot in training on Serenity.

As to Objects in Space, I admit I loved it when Jubal Early figured out River was hiding in his ship and using the comm system to "gaslight" him.

Really, I do think all who aspire to write SciFi for TV should have to watch the entire Firefly series first - to see how it is done.
I loved Objects in space and Richard Brooks (jubal early) was GREAT! He was in the first few seasons of L & O, until they decided the ADA's were going to be hot chicks! ;)

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

After watching the series several times and the movie I have come to the conclusion:
that reavers are constantly replacing their numbers due to the PAX...I think it promotes some sort of "infection" in them that is actually contagious- they encounter normal people and a few of those get "infected" and join their numbers as others die. also we get the impression it was MILLIONS that became reavers- or atleast I did!

I loved Objects in space and Richard Brooks (jubal early) was GREAT! He was in the first few seasons of L & O, until they decided the ADA's were going to be hot chicks! ;)

Yeah I remember watching this back in the days when it was being aired, awesome show. Who would have thought that cowboys in space would have been an original idea? ........... but it was.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It is also interesting to consider the Firefly universe after the events of "Serenity".

The Reavers are still out there, but probably much less of a threat because Mal drew them into a stand up fight with a large Alliance fleet. Also now that the origin of the Reavers is public knowledge there would be pressure from the Alliance member worlds to mount a strong expedition to Miranda and conquer it, thus resolving the issue.

As to the Reaver's condition, they are never portrayed as being berserk. Rather, the PAX jumps the aggressor reflex so high that it makes them psychotic. So they do not lose all reasoning ability, but rather become homicidal maniacs.

On other fronts...

River appears to now have some ability to control her fears and emotions, which she gained when they were on the Reaver homeworld. Plus she has a new job as the pilot in training of Serenity.

Mal's character advanced too. The Mal of the series was a pretty bleak person who believed in nothing. After the movie, he isn't as bleak and believes in things/people again. Plus Inara may be returning to Serenity. Zoe is a widow now but as always she is strong, and they will miss Shepherd Book. And of course Kaylee and Simon are now a couple.

Additionally, they may have a somewhat easier time finding work. They don't need to be as wary of the Alliance as before - as The Operative noted the Parliament may be angry over what happened but the Tam's are no longer a threat. Also, they dare not move against Mal after what he revealed - it would just make things worse for them. Their best course of action is to be hands off.