Fedcon 2011 in Germany - Update

Hyndara

GateFans Noob
Oh, I completely forget about Marcus Heitz (aka my personal nemesis aka the infant terrible of German writers aka ...). So, finally it was a very good choice not to go there :). Who knows what otherwise would have happened - I swear, nothing anyone had loved to see *innocent whistle*

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
OK, first off a little bit of news...

I sat during the whole first day panel with Richard Dean Anderson at a very privileged position ;)

Somewhere towards the end, he started talking about how he and Jonathan Frakes are really good buddies, and how both of them really enjoyed the experience they could gather as producers and their common love for Scifi. So RDA said, he and JF had a talk about producing a scifi movie or show together sometime in the future.

RDA wasn't talking about anything concrete, and he was sort of joking around when he mentioned it (when isn't he joking around), but you could tell there was something behind it - at least the sincere WISH by RDA to do so...

Now the bummer for me: some guy picked up on that too and asked him straight up if he would ever consider producing a new Stargate series. (This is something I had been advocating for some time now, since it was RDA who brought in the humor into SG1 against the initial plans of GW & JG, and thus was in big part responsible for its success.) Unfortunately, RDA categorically dismissed it, alleging "it was too much work". Not even willing to talk about it. From his previous statements, I got the clear impression that his attitude was one of "been there - done that - no interest".

So, RDA confirms he has absolutely no interest in producing a Stargate series, reboot or otherwise. We can count him out of the list ESA put together on that campaign thread. :(

G

Graybrew1

I sat during the whole first day panel with Richard Dean Anderson at a very privileged position ;)

Somewhere towards the end, he started talking about how he and Jonathan Frakes are really good buddies, and how both of them really enjoyed the experience they could gather as producers and their common love for Scifi. So RDA said, he and JF had a talk about producing a scifi movie or show together sometime on the future.

RDA wasn't talking about anything concrete, and he was sort of joking around when he mentioned it (when isn't he joking around), but you could tell there was something behind it - at least the sincere WISH by RDA to do so...

Now the bummer for me: some guy picked up on that too and asked him straight up if he would ever consider producing a new Stargate series. (This is something I had been advocating for some time now, since it was RDA who brought in the humor into SG1 against the initial plans of GW & JG, and thus was in big part responsible for its success.) Unfortunately, RDA categorically dismissed it, alleging "it was too much work". Not even willing to talk about it. From his previous statements, I got the clear impression that his attitude was one of "been there - done that - no interest".

So, RDA confirms he has absolutely no interest in producing a Stargate series, reboot or otherwise. We can count him out of the list ESA put together on that campaign thread. :(

Wow, super cool for you getting to meet him and talk to him like that. Did you have goosebumps? :PThat is sad to hear that he doesn't want to do any more Stargate. But hopeful for the future of him and JF doing a project together in the future. Listening to this makes me really want go to one of these things one of these days. Too Bad it probably won't be able to be a SG one. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I wonder if Jonathen Frakes would do Stargate with RDA giving him pointers but not being directly involved??

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Wow, super cool for you getting to meet him and talk to him like that. Did you have goosebumps? :PThat is sad to hear that he doesn't want to do any more Stargate. But hopeful for the future of him and JF doing a project together in the future. Listening to this makes me really want go to one of these things one of these days. Too Bad it probably won't be able to be a SG one. :(
Yes, it is a strange experience talking to someone like that up close. RDA is larger than life.
But I have to say I was much more nervous meeting Nicole De Boer. Especially holding her up for a special photo :D. Not only is she a very nice person, but Nicole is much more beautiful live than on screen! A must for us guys.
:smiley_squee:

Don't miss a convention if you have the chance! But since you live in the US you should shop around for one that isn't too crowded and where the exact right guests you want to meet will be attending. RDA is cool, but you want a personal tip? Joe Flanigan ;)

I wonder if Jonathen Frakes would do Stargate with RDA giving him pointers but not being directly involved??
That would be interesting! JF is an excellent director, so I imagine he could do a great job. And he would indeed need pointers from a SG insider like RDA...
On second thought, I think it was more like RDA wanting to do a ST series. :eek:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yes, it is a strange experience talking to someone like that up close. RDA is larger than life.
But I have to say I was much more nervous meeting Nicole De Boer. Especially holding her up for a special photo :D. Not only is she a very nice person, but Nicole is much more beautiful live than on screen! A must for us guys.

Don't miss a convention if you have the chance! But since you live in the US you should shop around for one that isn't too crowded and where the exact right guests you want to meet will be attending. RDA is cool, but you want a personal tip? Joe Flanigan ;)

That would be interesting! JF is an excellent director, so I imagine he could do a great job. And he would indeed need pointers from a SG insider like RDA...
On second thought, I think it was more like RDA wanting to do a ST series. :eek:

Either would work for me :D

Red Mage

Boney

I agree if you can go to a convention that it is totally worth attending. I went to NY Comic Con the last two years and planning to go again this year. Last year, I got the pleasure to meet Christopher Judge and got him to autograph a Stargate SG-1 season 1 boxet. I got to ask him a few questions while he gave me his autograph and he was most friendly down to earth actor I've met. NY Comic Con isn't exactly a small convention so unless you have a press pass and set interview with the actor/actress/celebrity, you aren't getting much more than a couple of questions before getting moved along.

G

Graybrew1

I agree if you can go to a convention that it is totally worth attending. I went to NY Comic Con the last two years and planning to go again this year. Last year, I got the pleasure to meet Christopher Judge and got him to autograph a Stargate SG-1 season 1 boxet. I got to ask him a few questions while he gave me his autograph and he was most friendly down to earth actor I've met. NY Comic Con isn't exactly a small convention so unless you have a press pass and set interview with the actor/actress/celebrity, you aren't getting much more than a couple of questions before getting moved along.

I think I would be okay with just watching. I would probably just make an ass out of myself around some of those people. But baby steps , I always say. So, NY Comic Con? That is only like 2.5 hours from me. I love going to NYC, when do they have another one? What kind of celebs were there? Sorry to badger you. Just smack me if you want. :biggrin: ;)

Red Mage

Boney
I think I would be okay with just watching. I would probably just make an ass out of myself around some of those people. But baby steps , I always say. So, NY Comic Con? That is only like 2.5 hours from me. I love going to NYC, when do they have another one? What kind of celebs were there? Sorry to badger you. Just smack me if you want. :biggrin: ;)

Ugh I lost my reply... I'm not typing all that again. Basically, the convention encompasses everything (TV, Movies, Videogames etc.) but it is geared more towards comics. Alot of the guests are comic artists like Stan Lee and Todd Mac Farlane but there are several TV and movie guest.

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/Whos-Coming/Autographs/2010-Master-Chart/
The master guest list

The people I met were Christopher Judge, Bruce Campbell and Alaina Huffman. Bruce and Chris were paid autograph sessions. There were some other noteworthy guests like the girl that played Starbuck on BSG and a guy who played a character on Buffy.

Basically, if you can attend I think its worth it. I go with several friends each year and everyone has a good time. The convention is a relatively painless 40 minute train ride so I can go multiple days.

G

Graybrew1

Ugh I lost my reply... I'm not typing all that again. Basically, the convention encompasses everything (TV, Movies, Videogames etc.) but it is geared more towards comics. Alot of the guests are comic artists like Stan Lee and Todd Mac Farlane but there are several TV and movie guest.

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/Whos-Coming/Autographs/2010-Master-Chart/
The master guest list

The people I met were Christopher Judge, Bruce Campbell and Alaina Huffman. Bruce and Chris were paid autograph sessions. There were some other noteworthy guests like the girl that played Starbuck on BSG and a guy who played a character on Buffy.

Basically, if you can attend I think its worth it. I go with several friends each year and everyone has a good time. The convention is a relatively painless 40 minute train ride so I can go multiple days.

Have to keep that in Mind. Thanks for all the good info. I like games, but you blow me away in that. I just play Final Fantasy, would be lost but interested in the rest, because all tech and gadgets are cool to me and games are like that for me. :)

SerenityS

GateFans Member

Somewhere towards the end, he started talking about how he and Jonathan Frakes are really good buddies, and how both of them really enjoyed the experience they could gather as producers and their common love for Scifi. So RDA said, he and JF had a talk about producing a scifi movie or show together sometime in the future.

Well, after RDA got screwed out of $1 Million in the MGM bankruptcy, I'm not surprised he wants nothing to do with the francise!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Well, after RDA got screwed out of $1 Million in the MGM bankruptcy, I'm not surprised he wants nothing to do with the francise!
LOL, you're right. I had forgotten about that. Maybe it does explain RDA's snippy answer and his apparent inclination to talk more about McGyver than Stargate at the Fedcon, even though the former is the much older show and not even sci-fi.

Either that or the conspiracy theorists will claim he avoided the subject to cover up some secret plans going on in the background. But that's not RDA's style...

heisenberg

Earl Grey

He(JF) been wanting to do the series entitled "titan" for a very long time...

http://blastr.com/2010/06/jonathan-frakes-wants-to.php

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

RDA would make a cool ST ship captain, even at his current age and appearance. :)