Falling Skies Preview

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Thanks. It's the thought that counts. ;)

And I really did mean that line, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I remember watching Caprica because it was supposed to be the story of how the Cylons were created, evolved and rose to power. The whole tone and feel of the "lost girl" story line was such a let down because it mirrored all those teen angst shows on the CW. It really could have been much, much better than it was.
How do you know CW has teen angst shows? Is there something you're not telling us? :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hope that, if that was the plan, they are now scrambling and reediting everything for the premiere once they saw what happened to Caprica and SGU.

Well, we can rest assured that if they did NOT re-edit stuff and they come out with more soap-fi, that they will experience the same fate as all of the other cancelled soap-fi shows did. :) There arent any left, because science fiction fans dont like them.

S

Stonelesscutter

How do you know CW has teen angst shows? Is there something you're not telling us? :P

I bet you're still grinding your grey mass trying to come up with a comeback to this one aren't ya brother Ape? :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Stonelesscutter told me (corroborated by GateFan1976). :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I hope that, if that was the plan, they are now scrambling and reediting everything for the premiere once they saw what happened to Caprica and SGU.

That's what shocks me about that comment by that guy. It seems like he's doing the exact opposite of what he should be doing based upon the failure of several shows that used that style.

I just don't get how some people can be oblivious to guaranteed failure.

(Like I said earlier, hopefully he will know how to strike an acceptable balance between drama and sci-fi. Fingers crossed!)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
That's what shocks me about that comment by that guy. It seems like he's doing the exact opposite of what he should be doing based upon the failure of several shows that used that style.

(Like I said earlier, hopefully he will know how to strike an acceptable balance between drama and sci-fi. Fingers crossed!)
This is one of the shows I was planning on keeping an eye out for.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
My worst fears have come true

Oh geez, here we go again, sigh... :roll:
Oh god! I was hoping to see some proper sci-fi stuff again but turns out they are going towards the SGU direction. Any credibility this show has build over the months, is now lost.

I don't get it?Why on earth do they need to follow this trend? Why can't we have a nice epic alien invasion tv show? Seriously, this is just begging for the series to end early.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants

People are often blind to flaws in the things they like... maybe he really loves angsty teen drama?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

We've all been sucked into watching some crap on CW when we're bored at home and there's nothing on TV. Well, everyone except OM1 who has banned broadcast television from his home.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This sounds like the one to start predicting ratings on...

Oh god! I was hoping to see some proper sci-fi stuff again but turns out they are going towards the SGU direction. Any credibility this show has build over the months, is now lost.

I don't get it?Why on earth do they need to follow this trend? Why can't we have a nice epic alien invasion tv show? Seriously, this is just begging for the series to end early.

WE already know this show will definitely fail, and we know why. The fact that the showrunners DONT know is going to give us the opportunity to watch it crash and burn just like we knew SGU would crash and burn. :)

Do we have our new SGU in Falling Skies?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Hey man, Idon't even get the CW. The only shows I think I watch from the CW are Smallville and Supernatural. :D

Seeing those two titles side by side like that sounds like an endowment contest happening on the CW.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
WE already know this show will definitely fail, and we know why. The fact that the showrunners DONT know is going to give us the opportunity to watch it crash and burn just like we knew SGU would crash and burn. :)

As I said in the other thread, TNT is full of drama shows; they know their audience and I'd expect this to be a success. I don't really know why the direction is a surprise, the premise of the show was stated as survival and resistance so it was always going to be character heavy.

But anyway we'll see. I'm someone who's open to any kind of show, mixed genre or otherwise, as long as it's done well and is compelling. Also I watched The Event but the less said about that the better.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As I said in the other thread, TNT is full of drama shows; they know their audience and I'd expect this to be a success. I don't really know why the direction is a surprise, the premise of the show was stated as survival and resistance so it was always going to be character heavy.

But anyway we'll see. I'm someone who's open to any kind of show, mixed genre or otherwise, as long as it's done well and is compelling. Also I watched The Event but the less said about that the better.

Well, based on what one of the writers said about his writing style it could be a bit worrisome. Melodrama killed Caprica and SGU and if that's what Falling Skies is then it will fail. If it's a good balance of drama and action then it has a chance at success.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Well, based on what one of the writers said about his writing style it could be a bit worrisome. Melodrama killed Caprica and SGU and if that's what Falling Skies is then it will fail. If it's a good balance of drama and action then it has a chance at success.

I still don't think we agree on what constitutes melodrama and what makes character drama. If there isn't a large amount of the latter in this one (i.e. The Walking Dead) then the entire show will be a bit pointless.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I still don't think we agree on what constitutes melodrama and what makes character drama. If there isn't a large amount of the latter in this one (i.e. The Walking Dead) then the entire show will be a bit pointless.

We agree that drama is a necessary element in genre TV shows. Without the dramatic human perspective there really wouldn't be any shows at all. The problem comes in when that drama is emphasized to the point of absurdity. Then it becomes melodrama, as in the case of SGU. With The Walking Dead the human interaction hasn't reached the point of being absurd (for the most part).

Your mistake is to lump everything into the term "character drama". It's a convenient catch-all that lets shows like SGU escape scrutiny as being melodramatic vehicles.

If Falling Skies has a blend of action and drama (not melodrama) then it will probably appeal to many viewers. This doesn't guarantee success ratings-wise of course, but it certainly won't hurt as much as heavy-handed melodrama would.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Here is a brand new trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_L45yLO0sw

I'll still give it a shot but I hope it's not too emo but yeah already having my doubts. Still, I am not going to pre-judge a show before it has aired.