Falling Skies Preview

B

Backstep

This show looks like it was conceived when SGU was just starting out, and came to market late...when there was no market. There is nothing new or fresh about this show or its premise, and I would feel very surprised if we were wrong on this. I bet somebody was looking over at SGU thinking it was going to be a success, then copied concepts from it. Sorta like Brad Wright glanced over at the BSG camp and wanted to be like them despite the fact that BSG never really got great ratings. Maybe the writers swallowed all that shilled-up praise that the SGU shills were posting last year? I give this dreck a single season and then POOF.

If the showrunners are going after the 'NuBSG' model where the story is less of a concern and only after winning awards and praises, then yes i see Skies will fall. Slow, dull and boring IMO is not a great model to follow when making a scifi show.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If the showrunners are going after the 'NuBSG' model where the story is less of a concern and only after winning awards and praises, then yes i see Skies will fall. Slow, dull and boring IMO is not a great model to follow when making a scifi show.

I'm pretty sure one of the writers (showrunners?) admitted he was going for that inter-personal drama angle. We talked about it in one of these threads but I'm pressed for time here and can't look it up. They are clearly late to the party here as it's proven that when sci-fi stories are weighted more towards human melodrama they simply don't work. In fact, it's kind of cynical for the creators of these shows to think they can lure sci-fi fans in with window dressing and then spring the melodrama trap on us. It doesn't take long for any viewer to figure out the game these people are trying to run and the viewers respond accordingly by tuning out.

I'll give this one a fair shot and again, I hope I'm wrong here as I'd love to have a good sci-fi show to watch these days. But I won't hold my breath.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Gosh, do you think one of the teen boys will develop a crush on one of the teen girls in one of the survivor camps?

B

Backstep

I'm pretty sure one of the writers (showrunners?) admitted he was going for that inter-personal drama angle. We talked about it in one of these threads but I'm pressed for time here and can't look it up. They are clearly late to the party here as it's proven that when sci-fi stories are weighted more towards human melodrama they simply don't work. In fact, it's kind of cynical for the creators of these shows to think they can lure sci-fi fans in with window dressing and then spring the melodrama trap on us. It doesn't take long for any viewer to figure out the game these people are trying to run and the viewers respond accordingly by tuning out.

I'll give this one a fair shot and again, I hope I'm wrong here as I'd love to have a good sci-fi show to watch these days. But I won't hold my breath.

I'm going to watch tonight, give this show a fair chance, not going to pick it apart and make mountains out of mole hills while viewing. If the aliens turn out to be nothing more than window dressing I'm gone. The soap-fi model is a bust, not only with the majority of scifi fans but with casual viewers as well.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Agreed

I'm going to watch tonight, give this show a fair chance, not going to pick it apart and make mountains out of mole hills while viewing. If the aliens turn out to be nothing more than window dressing I'm gone. The soap-fi model is a bust, not only with the majority of scifi fans but with casual viewers as well.

Of course there has to be drama and human conflict, but I just hope they have a good balance of alien/human interaction. One thing I'm really tired of is the 'mystery' behind why aliens do what they do. That's so damn annoying. They need to be upfront about why the aliens came to Earth, it's as simple as that.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am going to watch it. So desparate for scifi. If it stinks, then no more.

I suspect they probably put a lot of money into the first episode (or two) so it will probably be visually interesting and will have movement to the story. The problem comes in several episodes into the season where we'll see if they can sustain the interest. Every show has slow, cheap, filler episodes which is fine, but the trick is to create enough interest to keep the momentum going all season long.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

That was Remi Aubuchon who'll take over as showrunner should the show get a second season, but he's not involved at all in the direction of the first season.

G

Graybrew1

I suspect they probably put a lot of money into the first episode (or two) so it will probably be visually interesting and will have movement to the story. The problem comes in several episodes into the season where we'll see if they can sustain the interest. Every show has slow, cheap, filler episodes which is fine, but the trick is to create enough interest to keep the momentum going all season long.

I agree. Does not sound too good, but maybe we will get a surprise.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That was Remi Aubuchon who'll take over as showrunner should the show get a second season, but he's not involved at all in the direction of the first season.

Ah okay.

B

Backstep

I agree and green for ya.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

I'm with you two. I have seen quite a bit about it and a number of scenes from it and am optimistic it will be good...going to give it a fair chance...but if it starts to bore me...off it goes. :P

S

Stonelesscutter

Yes, but the greasy-long-haired bad guy will surprise us in one episode when he miraculously saves the day! Does he do it because he's really good at heart or did he have some other, more selfish and sinister motive??? :roll: YAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNN is right.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong here, really I would, but I think it's a safe bet that we're on the right track.

Is he the new Rush?

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Gosh, do you think one of the teen boys will develop a crush on one of the teen girls in one of the survivor camps?
:lol:

Let us know how it goes :)