Falling Skies Critique Thread

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
the sins of TNG

I've never understood the mindset that resents logical criticism. It must be a low self-esteem thing. I mean, it's one thing for fanboys to nit pick every little thing but quite another for fans to point out inconsistencies and blatant errors that the writers should have caught. After all, we understand it's fiction and that we have to suspend our disbelief but they need to meet us half way, logically, if we are expected to do that.

The little things can easily be forgiven though, like back on TNG when they'd use candle holders to drink out of and CD racks as control panels. We'd snicker about that at work (a housewares store I managed where we sold all those items). We didn't let such minor things ruin the viewing experience though because the rest of the show was logical and intelligent (for the most part). Shows today just aren't the same though so criticism is warranted.

don't forget the banana clip (ladies barrette style) that was used for geordie's visor!:glee:

The "emotion chip" thing was unforgivable. I mean, it's not like we're talking about a whole set that was dismantled and lost to the wind, no, we're talking about a little chip that they could easily reproduce. There were several levels of FAIL there from the props department to the continuity person to the director(s) and producers. I get that not everyone who works on a production is a fan of that production and would automatically know how it's supposed to look but you'd think when they were creating the chip for the movie someone would have asked how it's supposed to look. This would naturally lead back to the original presentation of it if not pictures in the props portion of the bible (they have to have one, if not that's just dumb).

:facepalm:

I just rewatched the last ep of Enterprise that should never have been made. Not only did it insult ENT fans by making the series finale a flashback for TNG but it made no damn sense. Troy and Riker are both older and much FATTER than they were in any TNG ep. It reaked of last show thrown together syndrome. The ep before it should have been left to be the series end. It was much more positive and not such an obvious speak in the face to the fans.

horrible episode!!! just terrible!

My thoughts exactly as far as "last show thrown together syndrome". It was like they were FORCING Captain Archer into the mythology at a point even more honorable than Spock, Kirk or anyone else. He was actually supposed to be one of the "Founding Fathers" of the Federation? :facepalm:. I knew from the first episode that Enterprise was not going to be that popular. It was too much of a departure, and it should not have been a prequel.

Still, there were some pretty good episodes in the show, and I totally liked the T'Pol/Tripp shipping. T'Pol was actually a pretty good character, as well as Tripp. The others were forgettable to some degree.

Tripp was fun and very charming-- a good opposite of T'pol. but why oh WHY didn't they make her T"pau? we see T'Pau in the eps whjere Archer gets the vulcan ka'tra... she would have been T'Pol's age? It's like Nemesis-- why wasn't the villan and villaness...Yar's half Romulan daughter? that would ahve fit perfectly within the series yet still given us a good revenge story! Oh the missed chances! :icon_e_sad:

captainfalcon

GateFans Noob
haha case and point that i spell and write cohesively and one guy bitches i dont use capital letters, and another calls me out that i dont put an apostrophe in youre. thanks for proving my point =D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
haha case and point that i spell and write cohesively and one guy bitches i dont use capital letters, and another calls me out that i dont put an apostrophe in youre. thanks for proving my point =D
I would love to have a conversation with you, captain, but for now, all you seem to be doing is trolling. That's not what this board is for at all.

I think that people got pointy because you came in and just let loose, without (it seemed, I could be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time, and certainly won't be the last <grin>) having read through the entire thread first.

Please, SHARE why you like this show so much. I know there are several people here who do watch and like the show, and those who are sticking with the show because they're seeing what they perceive to be improvement over previous episodes. It would be fun to have an intelligent debate.

Hope you're having a great day, whatever you decide to do. :-)

/salute

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So the Skitters are strict vegetarians who subsist on a diet of fescue.

Ah, I understand completely now!

Intergalactic goats!

Except that in the last episode those little creatures looked a lot like baby Skitters...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

:icon_rolleyes:

It's "case in point", not "case and point".

Thank you.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

:white funny tongue:

I never thought I would actually get a chance to use this special smiley we have here, but here ya go:

:GATEFANSTROLL:

How hard is it to make the decision to contribute to the topic of the thread, or decide instead to whine about how you are being received? You did not exactly wait until the host took your coat, and you came in with an open bottle of beer instead of knowing that you would be offered wine or ale from a tray. The thread topic is Falling Skies. I like the show VERY much, and if you read the threads here on this show, you will see that last season I did not like it as much. But still, I am liking the show a lot especially this season. These creeped me out last episode!

Untitled-2.png

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
:white funny tongue:

I never thought I would actually get a chance to use this special smiley we have here, but here ya go:

:GATEFANSTROLL:

How hard is it to make the decision to contribute to the topic of the thread, or decide instead to whine about how you are being received? You did not exactly wait until the host took your coat, and you came in with an open bottle of beer instead of knowing that you would be offered wine or ale from a tray. The thread topic is Falling Skies. I like the show VERY much, and if you read the threads here on this show, you will see that last season I did not like it as much. But still, I am liking the show a lot especially this season. These creeped me out last episode!

View attachment 7429
you have used it SEVERAL times in the past... your memory is starting to go dude... not long before you need a walker :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
you have used it SEVERAL times in the past... your memory is starting to go dude... not long before you need a walker :P

Duuude...I have used it like maybe...6 or 7 times? :devilish: I have a "built in" walker when the time comes. Like a tripod. :tongue:

OMNI

Duuude...I have used it like maybe...6 or 7 times? :devilish: I have a "built in" walker when the time comes. Like a tripod. :tongue:
sweet.. i need one of those.. where and how do i get one installed and is it painfull? :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
sweet.. i need one of those.. where and how do i get one installed and is it painfull? :P

:thoranime12::anim_35:

What do you think of this show? I know I am in the minority of those who find it watchable. :)

OMNI

What do you think of this show? I know I am in the minority of those who find it watchable. :)
i havnt seen an episode.. tho i have read seen clips heard others etc so id say if i am to have an oppinion it would be that i cant stand it..

tho.. ill make you a deal, you watch ALL of Sons of Anarchy and ill watch ALL the episodes of falling skies, deal? :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

I wouldn;t necessarily say minority - I am the one who has mentioned the coiffed women and such and I still find it watchable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i havnt seen an episode.. tho i have read seen clips heard others etc so id say if i am to have an oppinion it would be that i cant stand it..

tho.. ill make you a deal, you watch ALL of Sons of Anarchy and ill watch ALL the episodes of falling skies, deal? :P

Ah, you wont have to twist my arm to watch Sons of Anarchy. :) Im hearing good stuff from my buddies about this show, and so many of you like it here I have to give it a try. :winking0052:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I wouldn;t necessarily say minority - I am the one who has mentioned the coiffed women and such and I still find it watchable.
Ya, but now you're going to start looking for curiously maintained landscaping, etc.

Those skitter/goats are doing a great job of keeping things tidy, aren't they? What was it that OM1 pointed out? Rose bushes?

;-)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

How about enjoyable too? :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Irregardless of what you may think, every once and a while another genius like yourself shows up and thinks their teaching us all a lesson or to and they refuse to except that their looking like fools standing out in the open butt naked. But congradulations are do because we could care less what you say. For all intensive purposes, us criticizing the show is not like putting it down because their not one in the same. Perhaps something to wet your appetite wood be more proportionate for you, like one of the more positive threads along the same vein. So, correct me if I'm not mistaken but maybe you should of started on a friendlier note. It's a mute point, anyway.

By the way, learn to write coherently before trying to figure out how to write cohesively, let alone learning what "writing cohesively" means.

OMNI

Ah, you wont have to twist my arm to watch Sons of Anarchy. :) Im hearing good stuff from my buddies about this show, and so many of you like it here I have to give it a try. :winking0052:
good to hear! i hope to see you all wired up like a crazy crack fiend like me and Bluce if you get into it :devilish:

G

Graybrew1

We are also discussing the actual merits of the show, good and bad. All you are doing is being rude.

G

Graybrew1

Irregardless of what you may think, every once and a while another genius like yourself shows up and thinks their teaching us all a lesson or to and they refuse to except that their looking like fools standing out in the open butt naked. But congradulations are do because we could care less what you say. For all intensive purposes, us criticizing the show is not like putting it down because their not one in the same. Perhaps something to wet your appetite wood be more proportionate for you, like one of the more positive threads along the same vein. So, correct me if I'm not mistaken but maybe you should of started on a friendlier note. It's a mute point, anyway.

By the way, learn to write coherently before trying to figure out how to write cohesively, let alone learning what "writing cohesively" means.

Nice touch with the mountains of typos in this. :laughing:Maybe we should make it a game to see if everybody can find them all? LOL.