Falling Skies Critique Thread

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I've spoken with showrunners who HATE that the fans notice the screwups. It really really pisses them off.

But as I said before, DVRs and the like have enabled us, the fans, to see the mess ups. Like wandering levels in beverages during the course of a scene (I love it when they pop up and down like the tides, don't you?), moving pins, hair styles (keep an eye on those bits of hair that wander down onto a forehead. They can move up and down, depending on the camera angle), etc.

We should probably have a general thread somewhere with a title along the lines of "What Did The Continuity Department Miss THIS Time?"

;)

Sometimes it's a minor error and other times it's downright insulting, like Generations, where they basically threw the entire history right out the airlock so they can make their senseless hodgepodge.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Sometimes it's a minor error and other times it's downright insulting, like Generations, where they basically threw the entire history right out the airlock so they can make their senseless hodgepodge.
You're thinking of the TNG episode where Scotty says something along the lines of "I'll bet old Jim Kirk, himself..."

Right?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I've never understood the mindset that resents logical criticism. It must be a low self-esteem thing. I mean, it's one thing for fanboys to nit pick every little thing but quite another for fans to point out inconsistencies and blatant errors that the writers should have caught. After all, we understand it's fiction and that we have to suspend our disbelief but they need to meet us half way, logically, if we are expected to do that.

The little things can easily be forgiven though, like back on TNG when they'd use candle holders to drink out of and CD racks as control panels. We'd snicker about that at work (a housewares store I managed where we sold all those items). We didn't let such minor things ruin the viewing experience though because the rest of the show was logical and intelligent (for the most part). Shows today just aren't the same though so criticism is warranted.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I've never understood the mindset that resents logical criticism. It must be a low self-esteem thing. I mean, it's one thing for fanboys to nit pick every little thing but quite another for fans to point out inconsistencies and blatant errors that the writers should have caught. After all, we understand it's fiction and that we have to suspend our disbelief but they need to meet us half way, logically, if we are expected to do that.

The little things can easily be forgiven though, like back on TNG when they'd use candle holders to drink out of and CD racks as control panels. We'd snicker about that at work (a housewares store I managed where we sold all those items). We didn't let such minor things ruin the viewing experience though because the rest of the show was logical and intelligent (for the most part). Shows today just aren't the same though so criticism is warranted.
There is a certain sadness to shows where the fans apparently know (and remember) much more about the show's "Bible" than those who have created/write for it.

Yes, you can blame the Continuity folks (the person who is supposed to pay attention to liquid levels, hair in the eyes, dirt smudges, etc, using a notebook in which to scribble this very important -- yes it is, kiddies -- information), but ultimately, the director (The Buck Stops Here) is responsible for the visual screwups, and the writers (or dare, I say, the SHOWRUNNER) are/is responsible for keeping the show within established canon.

If they can't do that, then they should GT#O and bring in someone who can do it.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
You're thinking of the TNG episode where Scotty says something along the lines of "I'll bet old Jim Kirk, himself..."

Right?

Yeah, that one is a huge sore spot for me. It basically says, "Ah, they're idiots. They'll never remember."

Data's giant emotion chip that once was once so tiny it needed tweezers to hold and Picard leaving the nexus to go back 10 minutes to stop Soran instead of going back days, weeks or months also get on my nerves.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, that one is a huge sore spot for me. It basically says, "Ah, they're idiots. They'll never remember."

Data's giant emotion chip that once was once so tiny it needed tweezers to hold and Picard leaving the nexus to go back 10 minutes to stop Soran instead of going back days, weeks or months also get on my nerves.

The "emotion chip" thing was unforgivable. I mean, it's not like we're talking about a whole set that was dismantled and lost to the wind, no, we're talking about a little chip that they could easily reproduce. There were several levels of FAIL there from the props department to the continuity person to the director(s) and producers. I get that not everyone who works on a production is a fan of that production and would automatically know how it's supposed to look but you'd think when they were creating the chip for the movie someone would have asked how it's supposed to look. This would naturally lead back to the original presentation of it if not pictures in the props portion of the bible (they have to have one, if not that's just dumb).

G

Graybrew1

I just rewatched the last ep of Enterprise that should never have been made. Not only did it insult ENT fans by making the series finale a flashback for TNG but it made no damn sense. Troy and Riker are both older and much FATTER than they were in any TNG ep. It reaked of last show thrown together syndrome. The ep before it should have been left to be the series end. It was much more positive and not such an obvious speak in the face to the fans.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I just rewatched the last ep of Enterprise that should never have been made. Not only did it insult ENT fans by making the series finale a flashback for TNG but it made no damn sense. Troy and Riker are both older and much FATTER than they were in any TNG ep. It reaked of last show thrown together syndrome. The ep before it should have been left to be the series end. It was much more positive and not such an obvious speak in the face to the fans.
Several of the cast of Enterprise were NOT pleased with where the last episode went (holodeck thing). Jolene Blaylock (T'Pol) and John Billingsley (Phlox) were particularly vociferous in their unhappiness.

G

Graybrew1

Several of the cast of Enterprise were NOT pleased with where the last episode went (holodeck thing). Jolene Blaylock (T'Pol) and John Billingsley (Phlox) were particularly vociferous in their unhappiness.

This does not surprise me at all. I haed it more now than when I first saw it, it was really thrown together.

You do have the best knowlege of this stuff Lit!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

My thoughts exactly as far as "last show thrown together syndrome". It was like they were FORCING Captain Archer into the mythology at a point even more honorable than Spock, Kirk or anyone else. He was actually supposed to be one of the "Founding Fathers" of the Federation? :facepalm:. I knew from the first episode that Enterprise was not going to be that popular. It was too much of a departure, and it should not have been a prequel.

Still, there were some pretty good episodes in the show, and I totally liked the T'Pol/Tripp shipping. T'Pol was actually a pretty good character, as well as Tripp. The others were forgettable to some degree.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Someone pointed this out about The Walking Dead. Is the same true of "Falling Skies"?

I mean, we've pointed out coiffed hair. How about coiffed lawns?

555121_141693849301793_496465819_n.jpg

G

Graybrew1

My thoughts exactly as far as "last show thrown together syndrome". It was like they were FORCING Captain Archer into the mythology at a point even more honorable than Spock, Kirk or anyone else. He was actually supposed to be one of the "Founding Fathers" of the Federation? :facepalm:. I knew from the first episode that Enterprise was not going to be that popular. It was too much of a departure, and it should not have been a prequel.

Still, there were some pretty good episodes in the show, and I totally liked the T'Pol/Tripp shipping. T'Pol was actually a pretty good character, as well as Tripp. The others were forgettable to some degree.

Don't get me wrong, I liked this show. I think the Xindi arc went on too long but the rest of it aside from the finale was much better than most gave credit for. I think Falling Skies is not as good as ENT, but perhaps it will get closer as it is being given more time for the storylines to evolve and the character developement to be refined.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't get me wrong, I liked this show. I think the Xindi arc went on to long but the rest of it aside from the finale was much better than most gave credit for. I think Falling Skies is not as good as ENT, but perhaps it will get closer as it is being given more time for the storylines to evolve and the character developement to be refined.

I might be the only one here who really likes this show. :) I am totally willing to overlook the SGU-esque moments in it. Why? I dont know...it has grown on me. But the first season...meh. I think Ape likes it too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Someone pointed this out about The Walking Dead. Is the same true of "Falling Skies"?

I mean, we've pointed out coiffed hair. How about coiffed lawns?

View attachment 7425

LMAO! Now I will be checking lawns, hedges, rose bushes (dead giveaway) and WINDOWS. I dont know about you guys, but my windows are filthy after only 2 weeks! Maggie's hair looks salon fresh every episode as does Lourdes. But still...I dont care! :eagerness:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
LMAO! Now I will be checking lawns, hedges, rose bushes (dead giveaway) and WINDOWS. I dont know about you guys, but my windows are filthy after only 2 weeks! Maggie's hair looks salon fresh every episode as does Lourdes. But still...I dont care! :eagerness:
What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Which is why I should apply for disability for having watched Star Wars: Episode One. It ravaged my poor mind.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I think the Skitters are cutting the grass. It's not like the overlords have them out hunting down the 2nd Mass everyday...