Falling Skies Critique Thread

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Ya, but now you're going to start looking for curiously maintained landscaping, etc.

Those skitter/goats are doing a great job of keeping things tidy, aren't they? What was it that OM1 pointed out? Rose bushes?

;-)

That drove me nuts in the first season. They started off somewhere around 6 months since the alien invasion I think and yet the lawns in the Boston area were well trimmed. I guess when the world is crumbling around you you fire up the lawnmower and get a little "me time" whilst cutting the lawn. I know I'd do it, who wouldn't? It's called priorities. :wink:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
That drove me nuts in the first season. They started off somewhere around 6 months since the alien invasion I think and yet the lawns in the Boston area were well trimmed. I guess when the world is crumbling around you you fire up the lawnmower and get a little "me time" whilst cutting the lawn. I know I'd do it, who wouldn't? It's called priorities. :wink:

nah in Boston they use astro-turf! (ok that is just a joke! :biggrin: )

what irked me was the completely pristine hospital... it's been over a year since the invasion and there was NO DUST, no critters, and no looting of the hospital. at the very least small critters (racoons, feral cats, birds) would have found their way in and the place would have had dust EVERYWHERE!!!! Did we ever see HOW they got into the hospital and who did the cars in front belong to? there were no bodies found anywhere...what happened to the patients & employees?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
nah in Boston they use astro-turf! (ok that is just a joke! :biggrin: )

what irked me was the completely pristine hospital... it's been over a year since the invasion and there was NO DUST, no critters, and no looting of the hospital. at the very least small critters (racoons, feral cats, birds) would have found their way in and the place would have had dust EVERYWHERE!!!! Did we ever see HOW they got into the hospital and who did the cars in front belong to? there were no bodies found anywhere...what happened to the patients & employees?

Don't get me going on the hospital. I can suspend my disbelief only so far but then logic kicks in and the viewing experience is ruined. I mean, a perfectly pristine and intact hospital in a post-apocalyptic world? I could accept a lightly looted hospital perhaps or one where a few people are holed-up, but to be untouched is just not plausible. The math simply doesn't allow for it.

The fact that they skipped over showing the initial invasion and attack by the aliens doesn't help this issue either. They gave us no reason as to why the hospital was untouched. With millions of people in the Boston area (and the North East in general) it stands to reason that every single hospital would be overrun with patients and eventually looted for the obvious reason that it is a place of life-saving materials from medications to bandages. Even if hordes of people fled the area there would still be countless people who would know about the hospital and who would flock there to seek refuge and care.

And I believe they're still in the Boston area because when Hal opened that basement hatch it had "Boston something something" printed on it. So, yeah, more bad writing that we're expected to swallow. :suspicion:

Amazingly this show isn't as bad as SGU or even TWD for that matter. It has its moments though so it bears keeping a wary eye on.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Don't get me going on the hospital. I can suspend my disbelief only so far but then logic kicks in and the viewing experience is ruined. I mean, a perfectly pristine and intact hospital in a post-apocalyptic world? I could accept a lightly looted hospital perhaps or one where a few people are holed-up, but to be untouched is just not plausible. The math simply doesn't allow for it.

The fact that they skipped over showing the initial invasion and attack by the aliens doesn't help this issue either. They gave us no reason as to why the hospital was untouched. With millions of people in the Boston area (and the North East in general) it stands to reason that every single hospital would be overrun with patients and eventually looted for the obvious reason that it is a place of life-saving materials from medications to bandages. Even if hordes of people fled the area there would still be countless people who would know about the hospital and who would flock there to seek refuge and care.

And I believe they're still in the Boston area because when Hal opened that basement hatch it had "Boston something something" printed on it. So, yeah, more bad writing that we're expected to swallow. :suspicion:

Amazingly this show isn't as bad as SGU or even TWD for that matter. It has its moments though so it bears keeping a wary eye on.

Actually they are suppsed to be in Richmond Va. (they left the state of massachusetts when they were debating how to cross the Housatonic River a few eps ago.....) Why in hell weren't there people holed up in it-- living in the basement and eating any others they came across. the hospital and grounds were too perfect to be beleived. and those vehicles parked there looked pristine...did they even try to start them? i am sure they had a few who could jump start them if needed! I have to watch the eps before hubby does because I am now heckling the baloney too much! :biggrin:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
its get worse and worse....

just watched the most recent ep....REPLICATORS??? really???? okay they were "organic" but still the same damn idea - eating through metal doors, etc....:facepalm: there were other areas of massive fail as well: sending the kid through the air vents WITHOUT A FLASHLIGHT...uh huh that would really have worked :icon_rolleyes:.... the oxygen torch...no way should could have help onto that canister while it was flaming :facepalm:....dad to ben-- stay away from the ugly alien we captured.....ben follows dad into the alien's "cell" without dad complaining :facepalm: ..... the gravel road...I grew up in the boonies and I can tell you if a gravel road doesn't get regular travel it grows over people...the forest would have encroached on it long ago :icon_rolleyes: ... the big alien claiming they were here to protect the planet from the humans deforestation....then wouldn't say the REAL reason ..... MASSIVE FAIL!!!!!! :smiley-015:

I am rapidly reaching the point where I will give up on the show! it's too insulting to my intelligence! :smiley-white-flag:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
just watched the most recent ep....REPLICATORS??? really???? okay they were "organic" but still the same damn idea - eating through metal doors, etc....:facepalm: there were other areas of massive fail as well: sending the kid through the air vents WITHOUT A FLASHLIGHT...uh huh that would really have worked :icon_rolleyes:.... the oxygen torch...no way should could have help onto that canister while it was flaming :facepalm:....dad to ben-- stay away from the ugly alien we captured.....ben follows dad into the alien's "cell" without dad complaining :facepalm: ..... the gravel road...I grew up in the boonies and I can tell you if a gravel road doesn't get regular travel it grows over people...the forest would have encroached on it long ago :icon_rolleyes: ... the big alien claiming they were here to protect the planet from the humans deforestation....then wouldn't say the REAL reason ..... MASSIVE FAIL!!!!!! :smiley-015:

I am rapidly reaching the point where I will give up on the show! it's too insulting to my intelligence! :smiley-white-flag:

Of course I agree with everything but have to mention the unrealistic gimmick of the kid fitting into the air venting system in the first place. I'm so sick of this tired gimmick. I have almost never seen duct work in a building that a human could fit into, let alone a small child even. The only exception to this would be factory duct piping that is always on the ceiling and is too large to run thru walls, especially from a basement. It's just so lame. I'm no HVAC expert but even I know that designing such huge duct work would be counter productive to disseminating air throughout a building. It's a matter of cost and physics. The duct pipes are gauged to a certain size so the air flows properly. If they built them as big as a human-sized tunnel they wouldn't work properly and they'd be insanely cost prohibitive to run.

B

Backstep

Of course I agree with everything but have to mention the unrealistic gimmick of the kid fitting into the air venting system in the first place. I'm so sick of this tired gimmick. I have almost never seen duct work in a building that a human could fit into, let alone a small child even. The only exception to this would be factory duct piping that is always on the ceiling and is too large to run thru walls, especially from a basement. It's just so lame. I'm no HVAC expert but even I know that designing such huge duct work would be counter productive to disseminating air throughout a building. It's a matter of cost and physics. The duct pipes are gauged to a certain size so the air flows properly. If they built them as big as a human-sized tunnel they wouldn't work properly and they'd be insanely cost prohibitive to run.

In commercial sized duck, if you stay in the main trunk line um maybe.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
In commercial sized duck, if you stay in the main trunk line um maybe.

Even commercial duct work of that size is up near the ceiling and it's fully exposed. Walls in buildings, commercial and otherwise, simply aren't thick enough to run human-sized duct work. For instance all the warehouses I've worked in had large duct work located on the ceiling and it was exposed. Same with the retail sales area -- duct work on the ceiling, exposed. Again, the walls of most any building simply aren't thick enough to accommodate such large duct work. Besides, the physics of running such large duct work from a basement wouldn't allow for that size. There would have to be fans that kept the air flowing and they would no doubt block the way of anyone crawling through.

At any rate, it's a tired, tired gimmick and needs to be put to bed. Plus the kid wasn't eaten by the aliens so that makes it all the worse. :icon_evil:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Actually a close look at the bugs reveals them to be tiny Skitters. So I guess they stumbled onto a skitter breeding nest?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Actually a close look at the bugs reveals them to be tiny Skitters. So I guess they stumbled onto a skitter breeding nest?

That's what gets me about this show, the lack of explanation for many things. I watched the episode twice and don't recall an explanation of the skitter-bugs. Where did they come from? What are they? What is their purpose? All that good stuff.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So far this season is watchable unlike last season.

TOTALLY true. :) I not only find it watchable as opposed to last season, but I actually LIKE the show now! The biggest change is the characters themselves.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yeah, of course you are correct, and remember they are in a hospital. The HVAC systems in most hospitals have multiple levels of hepa filtering in those ducts to filter out pollutants. Also, how did the kid navigate through the ducts without getting a mouthful of alien skitters like Jamal? How did the baby repli-skitters get inside his body and leave him conscious?

Still, for some reason I am willing to forgive that. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, of course you are correct, and remember they are in a hospital. The HVAC systems in most hospitals have multiple levels of hepa filtering in those ducts to filter out pollutants. Also, how did the kid navigate through the ducts without getting a mouthful of alien skitters like Jamal? How did the baby repli-skitters get inside his body and leave him conscious?

Magic? :icon_question:

Still, for some reason I am willing to forgive that. :)

:nono:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Not exactly...the repli-skitters have different mouth parts and they have a more arachnid body and legs:

Untitled-2.png

We already know that those slug looking things in the tank in the earlier episode turn into the "harnesses". We also know that harnesses were found under the skin of full grown skitters. So the mystery remains. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Not exactly...the repli-skitters have different mouth parts and they have a more arachnid body and legs:

View attachment 7453

We already know that those slug looking things in the tank in the earlier episode turn into the "harnesses". We also know that harnesses were found under the skin of full grown skitters. So the mystery remains. :)

Yup, and that's one of the major flaws with this show. They don't explain shit. :mad: