Elysium - GateFans member preview commentary (mzzz)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
This Elysium Trailer looks kinda ok, I like social commentary disguised as sci-fi. This is still gonna be one I'm looking forward to.

Article:

http://screenrant.com/elysium-movie-preview-neill-blomkamp-district-9-sequel/

Excerpt:

“I’m painting ridiculous ideas with a brush of reality,” said Blomkamp of Elysium. “Proper science was thrown out of the window a little bit. Building a space station with marble and slate is semi-not-that-smart. It’s not really something that you want to do. But the metaphor of Bel Air in space is correct, so you just work towards that. So my approach is: start off with something ridiculous, and then try to use the most realistic portrayal of the ridiculous as you can.”

[youtube_sc url="[media=youtube]oIBtePb-dGY[/media]"]

Still, Blomkamp stressed that Elysium wasn’t directly inspired by current events like the Occupy movement. “It’s just being interested in the world,” he said. Plus, he recognizes that $100 million movies aren’t the most-straightforward way to change the world. “You can put ideas in there that are real issues,” said Blomkamp, but added that if he really wanted to affect the global conversation, he’d make a documentary. “That would be the closest I could come to trying to make a difference.”

As for if the much buzzed-about District 9 sequel is still on the table, Blomkamp merely said, “I think the world of District 9 had a lot of very interesting race and oppression-based ideas that I would still like to explore,” before talking cryptically about the “iconic characters,” he’d love to take his own crack at. Alas, Disney isn’t likely to invite him to turn Jar Jar Binks into a metaphor for global inequality.
View the Post on the Blog

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I am so looking forward to seeing this.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Trailer:

Trailer looks kinda ok, I like social commentary disguised as sci-fi. This is still gonna be one I'm looking forward to.

Article:

Excerpt:
“I’m painting ridiculous ideas with a brush of reality,” said Blomkamp. “Proper science was thrown out of the window a little bit. Building a space station with marble and slate is semi-not-that-smart. It’s not really something that you want to do. But the metaphor of Bel Air in space is correct, so you just work towards that. So my approach is: start off with something ridiculous, and then try to use the most realistic portrayal of the ridiculous as you can.

Still, Blomkamp stressed that Elysium wasn’t directly inspired by current events like the Occupy movement. “It’s just being interested in the world,” he said. Plus, he recognizes that $100 million movies aren’t the most-straightforward way to change the world. “You can put ideas in there that are real issues,” said Blomkamp, but added that if he really wanted to affect the global conversation, he’d make a documentary. “That would be the closest I could come to trying to make a difference.

As for if the much buzzed-about District 9 sequel is still on the table, Blomkamp merely said, “I think the world of District 9 had a lot of very interesting race and oppression-based ideas that I would still like to explore,” before talking cryptically about the “iconic characters,” he’d love to take his own crack at. Alas, Disney isn’t likely to invite him to turn Jar Jar Binks into a metaphor for global inequality.

This looks good. :) I also like social commentary disguised as sci-fi. That was basically what the original Trek was about. But I really hope that the social commentary is not biased like what happened on the most recent "V" series. The social commentary was clearly biased. The idea of a marble and slate for a space station is SO COOL!!! Im interested in seeing where this goes. :) Not so much interested in District 9 sequels. How about Jar Jar in the District 9 sequel? :anim_59:
--- merged: Apr 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM ---
well i have been waiting for it quite a while so ill see it but doubt ill pay to see it.

I dont know when I will pay to see a newly released movie again. Not feeling one smidgen of guilt either. I have paid to see the release of every Trek movie in a theater within a day or two of its release, but not this next one. This movie will probably be pretty good. :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
District 9 was great, the main character from that movie is the bad guy with the beard in this movie. Looks so different!

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
This actually reminds of a South Korean Anime I watched a while back called Sky Blue/Wonderful Days, in which to save the world the city utopia (Ecoban) had to be destroyed. Though the major differences here is that the anime was based around an ecological disaster than social divide. Either way Blomkamp has set a good standard with District 9, though that had an obvious message it wasn't bludgeoning you over the head with its morality stick (*cough* Avatar), either way it looks light years ahead of what comes out of Hollywood.

I do like the technological exo-skeleton that is literally drilled into the main character, then again I've always been into technology, particularly things like cybernetics.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Trailer looks kinda ok, I like social commentary disguised as sci-fi. This is still gonna be one I'm looking forward to.

Article:

Excerpt:

“I’m painting ridiculous ideas with a brush of reality,” said Blomkamp. “Proper science was thrown out of the window a little bit. Building a space station with marble and slate is semi-not-that-smart. It’s not really something that you want to do. But the metaphor of Bel Air in space is correct, so you just work towards that. So my approach is: start off with something ridiculous, and then try to use the most realistic portrayal of the ridiculous as you can.”

[youtube_sc url="[media=youtube]oIBtePb-dGY[/media]"]

Still, Blomkamp stressed that Elysium wasn’t directly inspired by current events like the Occupy movement. “It’s just being interested in the world,” he said. Plus, he recognizes that $100 million movies aren’t the most-straightforward way to change the world. “You can put ideas in there that are real issues,” said Blomkamp, but added that if he really wanted to affect the global conversation, he’d make a documentary. “That would be the closest I could come to trying to make a difference.”

View the Post on the Blog

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This post has been promoted to the Blog. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This one does look very good, even to my jaundiced, cynical eye. Definitely one to put on the must see list. :beckett_new049:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I had a bad feeling about this thing the second I saw Matt Damon was the star. I got to go see it and frankly it is a turd.

The pity is I liked District 9 in part because the social commentary was nicely woven into the story and also because of the interspersed humor and the good acting.

Well, we get none of that here.

The social commentary is way too heavy handed and the whole plot revolves around it, which has the unfortunate side effect of making the plot as a story pretty weak and containing a lot of goofy developments. I like my science fiction to have social commentary too but I want it properly woven into the story - tell a good story and make the commentary in the background as a part of it. The commentary here made me feel like the filmmakers were lecturing me - no thanks.

What little humor there is falls flat partly because the whole film reeks of cynicism and also because Damon and Foster seem to be sleep acting.

Thankfully for me the tickets weren't paid for by me - a friend insisted. My Gatefans prize is still safely waiting its true purpose - Riddick.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Well I had a bad feeling about this thing the second I saw Matt Damon was the star. I got to go see it and frankly it is a turd.

The pity is I liked District 9 in part because the social commentary was nicely woven into the story and also because of the interspersed humor and the good acting.

The social commentary is way too heavy handed and the whole plot revolves around it, which has the unfortunate side effect of making the plot as a story pretty weak and containing a lot of goofy developments. I like my science fiction to have social commentary too but I want it properly woven into the story - tell a good story and make the commentary in the background as a part of it. The commentary here made me feel like the filmmakers were lecturing me - no thanks.

What little humor there is falls flat partly because the whole film reeks of cynicism and also because Damon and Foster seem to be sleep acting.

Thankfully for me the tickets weren't paid for by me - a friend insisted. My Gatefans prize is still safely waiting its true purpose - Riddick.
+1 thankfully i didnt pay to see it myself either.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Damn. I had high hopes for this one. :(

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I also had high hopes, especially since it reused the props and sets from the defunct Halo movie. :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There is hope.

Pacific Rim was thoroughly enjoyable and in three weeks it's RIDDICK time!

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
There is hope.

Pacific Rim was thoroughly enjoyable and in three weeks it's RIDDICK time!
sigh.. i guess thats why Pacific rim is tanking at the boxoffice then eh? and riddick? ffs dont be such a optimistic fanboi.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Pacific Rim only had trouble at the US Boxoffice and that was because it was not promoted here at all (it got caught in the middle of the whole kerfluffle with Legendary Pictures going from WB to Universal). It has been #1 in the overseas market pretty consistently and stands at 355 million in boxoffice against a 190 million total cost. So it can't be called a flop. And also, the movie itself is really enjoyable. I admit to being sick of the angsty, cynical, dark slop we've been dished up the past few years and this film has not an angsty bone in its body.

Riddick I have hopes for. Pitch Black was really good and Chronicles of Riddick was decent if you watched Twohy's director's version where the stuff the studio cut out was restored.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Pacific Rim only had trouble at the US Boxoffice and that was because it was not promoted here at all (it got caught in the middle of the whole kerfluffle with Legendary Pictures going from WB to Universal). It has been #1 in the overseas market pretty consistently and stands at 355 million in boxoffice against a 190 million total cost. So it can't be called a flop. And also, the movie itself is really enjoyable. I admit to being sick of the angsty, cynical, dark slop we've been dished up the past few years and this film has not an angsty bone in its body.

Riddick I have hopes for. Pitch Black was really good and Chronicles of Riddick was decent if you watched Twohy's director's version where the stuff the studio cut out was restored.

I'm experiencing angst just thinking of all the angst we've been served in these angst-filled angsty pictures.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Oh dear....I just saw this, and now I completely understand why you chose to use a rare occasion to use a descriptor like "turd". You could not have been more accurate with that term. I mean, what did I just watch? This movie is an unabashed immigration reform movie, specifically addressing the issue of illegal immigration into the United States by Latinos from Mexico. It couples this with the idea that once the rich whites are no longer in control of earth, it will be overrun by blacks and Latinos (mostly Latinos). But on Elysium, everyone is European and/or white. I would not even mention this "race" element, but it is quite sharply emphasized in this film. What's more, almost all of the remaining inhabitants of earth are Latinos and a smattering of blacks, and on Elysium there are mostly all whites....where did the majority of Humanity go in this film? That would be the Asians. Very little representation of them in this film. But that is just the social commentary portion of this review.

The cinematography, quite simply, SUCKED. Too much movement, to many cuts in scenes, bad lighting, the works. The space station Elysium is a thing of beauty as far as design, with an open air inner ring which is protected by a shield of some sort to enclose an atmosphere. We are "treated" to French-speaking, upper crust citizens of Elysium sipping wine, impeccably dressed and what not...but the central characters Jodie Foster and Matt Damon just dont pull this off well at all. The characters are poorly developed, and the supporting characters are even worse. They did get the look right, making Los Angeles look like some third world slum (presumably what the world would look like if Latinos ran the city? :rolleye0014: :facepalm:). The flying shuttles and other tech looked convincingly weathered and worn, but the OVERWHELMING social commentary was what dragged this film down.

In a nutshell, this movie is about illegal immigration into the United States from the side of the illegals, trying to make a case for a path to US citizenship even if it means revolution. Not a message I am interested in hearing, and definitely not seeing in my movies. Whatever my feelings on this issue, it was a poor choice for the core story of this movie. I give it two thumbs down.

Facebook-Thumbs-Down.jpg

THUMB+DOWN+Here+is+the+ORIGINAL+POST+_90752f6b156eb80ed1035345236a253a.gif