Ebay Fake bidders

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What I don't understand is how they get approved by PayPal in conjunction with Ebay. That's two entities that they have to be verified by, and more importantly PayPal involves actual banking information. So how scammers can get past that is confusing to me.

That is where I am getting confused. Not only does PayPal verify you AND your bank account, they also tally your behavior in the form of transaction history, seller rating, and what you buy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
why would you ship or otherwise hand over goods or property to anyone until you have received payment?

i was addressing tripler's comment and his trying to sell his car. the person would have to come to him to pick it up and get the documents anyhow, so why not just hand over cash at that time?

i can't think of anyone who does business online without receiving payment first

and i am not talking about paying with a debit card, etc. just this person to person stuff. like pay pal. i have never used it but i have heard enough ppl complain about it to know i want nothing to do with it

I sold ONE thing, and I received payment and did not send it until the payment had posted in my account.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
What I don't understand is how they get approved by PayPal in conjunction with Ebay. That's two entities that they have to be verified by, and more importantly PayPal involves actual banking information. So how scammers can get past that is confusing to me.

All you need to open a PayPal account is an email address. If you wish to link your bank account or credit card to your PayPal account you can do so and at that stage there will be some verification. PayPal may also request a copy of your ID at some point. But to open a PayPal account, all you need is the email.

All you need to open a PayPal account is an email address. If you wish to link your bank account or credit card to your PayPal account you can do so and at that stage there will be some verification. PayPal may also request a copy of your ID at some point. But to open a PayPal account, all you need is the email.

That's good to know. I still think Heisenberg should change his settings to block people with less than an established threshold of purchases, like 25 or so. Scammers and trolls are easier to weed out this way.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's good to know. I still think Heisenberg should change his settings to block people with less than an established threshold of purchases, like 25 or so. Scammers and trolls are easier to weed out this way.

That is how I would do it. I also never consider buying anything with anyone who just joined, or has below a 98% seller rating. I closely scrutinize everything I buy on eBay (and Amazon too). The difference is the whole bidding thing.