Ebay Fake bidders

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Has anyone come across any fake bidders on ebay? Unfortunately, I am the target of an elaborate troll which someone finds amusing to put in fake bids and then does not respond to messages and ebay does absolutely fucking nothing for it. If i was ebay, I would actually extort people who bid on the item. You can't just back away from a sale. Once that hammer goes, the sale is final. How can someone find fake bidding humours? Are people really this asshole?
Why isn't ebay doing anything about it? It just drives people away from that place.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Has anyone come across any fake bidders on ebay? Unfortunately, I am the target of an elaborate troll which someone finds amusing to put in fake bids and then does not respond to messages and ebay does absolutely fucking nothing for it. If i was ebay, I would actually extort people who bid on the item. You can't just back away from a sale. Once that hammer goes, the sale is final. How can someone find fake bidding humours? Are people really this asshole?
Why isn't ebay doing anything about it? It just drives people away from that place.
eBay bans bidders like that. What was the situation? Once the item has gone to the highest bidder, the same is required within a certain amount of time or the bidder will be banned.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Trying to sell my shitbox and this one guy keeps on insisting that he will buy the car if he can pay with paypal . Not a chance . Cash , or a banknote . Nothing else . Not exactly the same as your ebay issue but still along the line of scammers out in digital purchase and sales land .
Hope you get it sorted ...
;)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
eBay bans bidders like that. What was the situation? Once the item has gone to the highest bidder, the same is required within a certain amount of time or the bidder will be banned.
I basically sold an item and a dickhead bid on it because he found it amusing. Initially, I had forgotten to mention that the item was cleaned, but what does ebay decide to do? They removed my item which could have been solved with a simple email. It was a simple oversight to leave out that it was cleaned it or not. After that, I had reposted it and then had bidders on it. After I had the final bid, I knew the guy was a troll because, his address was a PO Box.

I then messaged him and I knew he was online but got no response. In the ad, I had specifically mentioned that I don't post to a post office box because I need to know if it's a legitimate transaction or not. Anyone can create a PO BOx for 12 dollars a month to just being an asshole. They also have PO Boxes for illegal activities for drugs etc....

I had also mentioned that I only take paypal and don't take direct deposit. Here the ebay don't do anything so a bit of fun the users have multiple accounts to avoid getting that strikes or bans to stay under the radar. They buy garbage from ebay or have friends do fake buying to boost their ratings and then dabble in for some fun. Ebay IMO should just allow one account per user and they need to ask for things like passport to verify the identity. This is avoid things like fraud and it's no wonder ebay is so rampant on it. I will pm you the guy's name and won't post it here.

It's times like this I wish that ebay was more heavy handed towards buyers. They take the buyer's side and not the seller's side always and it's no wonder they are driving people away. There are so many scammers on there. I now have a bill because ebay will only credit the bill unless I beg them to refund it. I also have to wait 10 days before I can give a second chance offer too.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I basically sold an item and a dickhead bid on it because he found it amusing. Initially, I had forgotten to mention that the item was cleaned, but what does ebay decide to do? They removed my item which could have been solved with a simple email. It was a simple oversight to leave out that it was cleaned it or not. After that, I had reposted it and then had bidders on it. After I had the final bid, I knew the guy was a troll because, his address was a PO Box.

I then messaged him and I knew he was online but got no response. In the ad, I had specifically mentioned that I don't post to a post office box because I need to know if it's a legitimate transaction or not. Anyone can create a PO BOx for 12 dollars a month to just being an asshole. They also have PO Boxes for illegal activities for drugs etc....

I had also mentioned that I only take paypal and don't take direct deposit. Here the ebay don't do anything so a bit of fun the users have multiple accounts to avoid getting that strikes or bans to stay under the radar. They buy garbage from ebay or have friends do fake buying to boost their ratings and then dabble in for some fun. Ebay IMO should just allow one account per user and they need to ask for things like passport to verify the identity. This is avoid things like fraud and it's no wonder ebay is so rampant on it. I will pm you the guy's name and won't post it here.

It's times like this I wish that ebay was more heavy handed towards buyers. They take the buyer's side and not the seller's side always and it's no wonder they are driving people away. There are so many scammers on there. I now have a bill because ebay will only credit the bill unless I beg them to refund it. I also have to wait 10 days before I can give a second chance offer too.

Wow....I still don't understand. I have an eBay account, and if I bid on something and win it, then I have to pay for it in a set amount of time. If I don't, then eBay will ban my account. This guy should not be dealing with you directly, he needs to settle everything with eBay. And eBay is the broker. So were you buying something or selling something? Something is not making sense here.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Wow....I still don't understand. I have an Bay account, and if I bid on something and win it, then I have to pay for it in a set amount of time. If I don't, then eBay will ban my account. This guy should not be dealing with you directly, he needs to settle everything with eBay. And eBay is the broker. So were you buying something or selling something? Something is not making sense here.
what's not to understand? It's an auction. The bidder can say that he doesn't want it, ignore it or simply not pay. They do get monitored but the buyers know this. That is why they do shill bidding and buy useless crap to avoid getting banned.They also have multiple accounts to avoid detection. They can even create an account through a VPN and then clearing their cookies so it doesn't show up on their database timestamp and they get a cookie match.

You can't even leave a negative feedback on ebay for a buyer anymore. You can only leave a positive one. Here is an image to show you and no, ebay doesn't ban people who don't pay. They simply cancel the order/transaction and you(the seller) end up having to pay a fee.

Code:
https://imgur.com/a/XGAOu

These people who fake bidding are these 4chan/reddit trolls who have a serious mental disorder. They are a sad fucks who have a very malicious mindset.

Wow....I still don't understand. I have an eBay account, and if I bid on something and win it, then I have to pay for it in a set amount of time. If I don't, then eBay will ban my account. This guy should not be dealing with you directly, he needs to settle everything with eBay. And eBay is the broker. So were you buying something or selling something? Something is not making sense here.

Sorry to say but Ebay will not ban your account. I have a good friend who has an "Ebay store" and he routinely gets offers that people then don't pay for. He goes through the process of starting a claim and they "investigate" (which means they do nothing) and then basically tell him (after he has bitched at Ebay) that he can relist his item. The bottom line is that Ebay protects the buyers. They do this because they don't want to lose business on their site. They know that if someone skips out on paying for a small item there is still a chance they will buy stuff in the future.

The reason you worry about being banned for nonpayment is because you're a decent person. Sadly, there are tons of people out there who aren't decent and they know Ebay will not lose potential business from them so they don't give a shit about buying stuff and then ghosting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sorry to say but Ebay will not ban your account. I have a good friend who has an "Ebay store" and he routinely gets offers that people then don't pay for. He goes through the process of starting a claim and they "investigate" (which means they do nothing) and then basically tell him (after he has bitched at Ebay) that he can relist his item. The bottom line is that Ebay protects the buyers. They do this because they don't want to lose business on their site. They know that if someone skips out on paying for a small item there is still a chance they will buy stuff in the future.

The reason you worry about being banned for nonpayment is because you're a decent person. Sadly, there are tons of people out there who aren't decent and they know Ebay will not lose potential business from them so they don't give a shit about buying stuff and then ghosting.

How weird! I would never bid on something I was not intending to buy and pay for if I won. But I have a 100% buyer rating on eBay.

How weird! I would never bid on something I was not intending to buy and pay for if I won. But I have a 100% buyer rating on eBay.

That's the thing, if you are a seller and get burned by one of these jerks you aren't allowed to post a negative comment about them so it won't show up on their rating. The only way you can post a review is if the transaction actually occurs and they pay for it. But since they never finish the transaction Ebay won't allow you to comment on them.

There are some decent people out there but one of these rat bags just won't fucking go away.

Does this guy change his account on a regular basis? I know you can block specific accounts from bidding/buying from you. You can also set your account to only accept purchases from people who have made more than a certain amount of purchases already, for instance 100 buys. I'm pretty sure you can tweak it to a lower number if you want. But the bottom line is you should be able to weed out scammers who have little to no purchase history. Yes, this will make it hard for legit buyers with little purchase history to buy from you but that's just the way it is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There are some decent people out there but one of these rat bags just won't fucking go away.

It has been a while since I bought anything on eBay.

I swing between Amazon and Ebay, whoever has the best price. For instance, a couple months ago I was looking for a cheap protective phone cover. I found one on Ebay for $3 including shipping. It was the exact one for my model phone. When I compared on Amazon I found something similar but not exact, and it cost over $10 more plus there was a shipping fee. Naturally I went with Ebay and I was very satisfied. (It was from a large company that does business on Ebay, not a private seller.)

I'm not bashing Amazon as I often buy from there also. I'm just saying that I now search both Ebay and Amazon when I'm looking to purchase something.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
buy the car if he can pay with paypal . Not a chance . Cash , or a banknote . Nothing else

i agree...screw that digital payment crap

on the other hand, it is not like you can digitally send him the car, so, you cold always prohibit his taking possession. in canada, do both parties need to be present to finalize the sale and transfer of title as well?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The reason you worry about being banned for nonpayment is because you're a decent person. Sadly, there are tons of people out there who aren't decent and they know Ebay will not lose potential business from them so they don't give a shit about buying stuff and then ghosting

exactly

on ebay and many other places on the net

these are the same ppl who do not care about being banned or getting a bad rep. they will just re-appear on ebay in some other incarnation or use a ISP blocker/spoofer or whatever they are called (that hide my ass whatever)

they are looking to for moments of excitement at other peoples' expense

they do not care about anyone's feelings or needs/wants other then theirs

i would guess a fair number of them are also in permanent residence in their Mom's basement with a steady supply of grilled cheese sandwiches she brings to them

heisenberg

Earl Grey
i agree...screw that digital payment crap

on the other hand, it is not like you can digitally send him the car, so, you cold always prohibit his taking possession. in canada, do both parties need to be present to finalize the sale and transfer of title as well?
Screw digital payment crap? What if someone scams you, what happens then? What if the dude is a fraud? The police would be interested and this is when they need to get involved when that asswipe runs off with your money and you got nothing. That is theft. I used to deal with Fraud a lot in my old workplace and people can be real assholes.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I swing between Amazon and Ebay, whoever has the best price. For instance, a couple months ago I was looking for a cheap protective phone cover. I found one on Ebay for $3 including shipping. It was the exact one for my model phone. When I compared on Amazon I found something similar but not exact, and it cost over $10 more plus there was a shipping fee. Naturally I went with Ebay and I was very satisfied. (It was from a large company that does business on Ebay, not a private seller.)

I'm not bashing Amazon as I often buy from there also. I'm just saying that I now search both Ebay and Amazon when I'm looking to purchase something.
Not competitive enough for me to go on amazon. Prices are 2-3 times the cost. It's like I see the same thing with Costco. I go to it and then find that the prices are 2-5 times the cost that I can get at my local store.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Ebay is dying slowly. I just wish they had a system that when you register, you would need to verify your identity. Anyway the rep said to provide a second chance offer so I'll do that and see how I go.

Ebay is dying slowly. I just wish they had a system that when you register, you would need to verify your identity. Anyway the rep said to provide a second chance offer so I'll do that and see how I go.

What I don't understand is how they get approved by PayPal in conjunction with Ebay. That's two entities that they have to be verified by, and more importantly PayPal involves actual banking information. So how scammers can get past that is confusing to me.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
involved when that asswipe runs off with your money and you got nothing. That is theft.

why would you ship or otherwise hand over goods or property to anyone until you have received payment?

i was addressing tripler's comment and his trying to sell his car. the person would have to come to him to pick it up and get the documents anyhow, so why not just hand over cash at that time?

i can't think of anyone who does business online without receiving payment first

and i am not talking about paying with a debit card, etc. just this person to person stuff. like pay pal. i have never used it but i have heard enough ppl complain about it to know i want nothing to do with it