Doctor Who S09 E13 - The Husbands of River Song

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season Nine of Doctor Who officially closes with this offbeat installment, which was mostly a bit lighter in its approach although it got pretty serious near the end.

I liked this episode. It was fun and filled in a major piece of the River Song puzzle, namely when she got the specially rigged sonic screwdriver she had in Silence in the Library. Her story is actually complete at this point.

Peter Capaldi did another fine turn and Alex Kingston was as always delightful. In fact of all the Doctors she has appeared with she seemed to "mesh" with Capaldi the best. Everything is all set for next season, which we know will be full length but so far nothing has leaked about any new companion.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I liked that this Christmas special wasn't as sappy as some of the others have been. It was fun and also serious and managed to keep my attention for the whole show. The timing and banter between Capaldi and Kingston was quite good I must say.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I liked it as a story, but I did not like the messing around that was done with the River/Doc timeline.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I liked it as a story, but I did not like the messing around that was done with the River/Doc timeline.

River has been meeting the Doctor throughout the series in non-linear time. This actually falls right into the chain of events.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
River has been meeting the Doctor throughout the series in non-linear time. This actually falls right into the chain of events.

Bingo! This episode was the capstone of that that chain of events and indeed we all knew it had to happen because River did not yet have a "special" sonic screwdriver. Now she does, and add in her diary being nearly full and even the Doctor knew it was almost time for "Silence in the Library".

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Why? Because the Doctor found out that River was not that into him, same as all the Companions?

Plus as was shown upthread there was no messing with that timeline. This episode is set in her timeline close after "Angels take Manhattan", and it had to happen because she had not been given the specially rigged sonic screwdriver yet.

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
Plus as was shown upthread there was no messing with that timeline. This episode is set in her timeline close after "Angels take Manhattan", and it had to happen because she had not been given the specially rigged sonic screwdriver yet.

It was a nice way to close the River arc.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
How so?

River honestly explained during the episode her true feeling towards the Doctor. The expressions on the Doctors face said it all. The Doctor was in love with River, River was meh, she believed she was just another companion to the Doctor.
Hang on, you just said "River was not that into him". Perhaps we are having a difference of perception here, but it was -my impression- that River loved him completely, but loving him was like expecting the sun to care about you. that doesn't mean she is "meh", it means that her love will never be returned by the doctor in the same way. Those are two different things.

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
It would have been, yes. Except just like Clara, River got an "out", which is what actually annoys me.

I believe the writers may use the Clara arc for a busted universe next season, if ME did not return Clara to Gallifrey and ME to the last 5 mins of the universe.

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
Hang on, you just said "River was not that into him". Perhaps we are having a difference of perception here, but it was -my impression- that River loved him completely, but loving him was like expecting the sun to care about you. that doesn't mean she is "meh", it means that her love will never be returned by the doctor in the same way. Those are two different things.

You can love a bf/gf who moved to another country in the same way, distance can make one go meh as time goes on. River knew who the Doctor was ans ow he is, that is why she said "loving him was like expecting the sun to care about you". Yes she loved him, but she believed he did not love him the same way, hence the meh came from time and distance romance.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What "out"? The story was the logical completion of River's story arc. It was in a way the fulfillment of what we saw in "Silence in the Library".

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I believe the writers may use the Clara arc for a busted universe next season, if ME did not return Clara to Gallifrey and ME to the last 5 mins of the universe.

They might, but that's a -possibility-, not a fact, yes?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You can love a bf/gf who moved to another country in the same way, distance can make one go meh as time goes on. River knew who the Doctor was ans ow he is, that is why she said "loving him was like expecting the sun to care about you". Yes she loved him, but she believed he did not love him the same way, hence the meh came from time and distance romance.

None of this makes the comment that River was just not that into him make any sense. Even in Silence in the library, she thanks him for coming when she calls "like always". I get what you are saying, I just don't agree.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What "out"? The story was the logical completion of River's story arc. It was in a way the fulfillment of what we saw in "Silence in the Library".
The last night they had togeather was supposed to be at the singing stones, but as night is 24 years, they can always continue to travel togeather, until they see eachother for the "last time"
It's a similar "out" to what Clara got, and -to me- it is annoying. When I watched "face the Raven", it was great, a good exit for Clara with meaning, but come "hell bent" I just saw it as a cheap cop-out.
I appreciate you may not see it as I do, but that's the way I see it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I've not read a thing about next season, just my guess.
I can live with a guess :)
All I know for next season is that it -will- be full length (weather that includes a Christmas special or not I don't know). P.C. will still be the Doctor, (but has said it may be his last :( ), and they are keeping the identity of a companion (if any) very tightly under wraps.

Personally, I'd love to see a Gallifrey based season with a return of Romana and/or Ace as a basis point, but Unfortunately, a lot of Gallifrey is just handled so badly it would come of cheesy :(