Disney buys lucasfilm!!

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
addendum anothor storyline in the SW universe i REALLY liked myself also stemming from a video game is the "the force unleshed" story following darth vaders secret aprentice in the time after episode 3, it wasnt the greatest game ever but the story resonanted with me and it did tie into the original trilogy quite nicely..

the game starred "chrashdown" from nuBSG as darth vaders aprentice and had a generally darker tone and feel as it focused on showing us the darkside pov rather then the lightside which still played its part with redemption and all that but still.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
omg.... hell has frozen over..... :O :eek: :P

so you familiar with the revan storyline or you thinking even further back such as the galactic interstellar war etc? as imo if you go to far back in the SW universe its gets a tad bit corny.. same as if you go a ways to far forward not that the storys cant be updated ala 2015 but still... corny

and yep there has been rumours of FINISHED screenplays of 7-8-9 locked away in a safe of lucas' for aslong as i can remember... and the article says he will be involved as a "creative consultant" so id say its a safe bet those came with the purchase and wernt sold separatly..

I sure hope they bring in some writers to fix them up. Starting with the stiff dialog. It would be a big plus if they do a better job of casting this time around too. :rolleyes:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I sure hope they bring in some writers to fix them up. Starting with the stiff dialog. It would be a big plus if they do a better job of casting this time around too. :rolleyes:

the casting in the original triology was perfect which is why the casting in the prequels was so bothersome. :P

Yes I hope the "mythical" 7, 8, & 9 get made....the next generation as it were- luke finding young jedi to train like han and leia's kids, bringing those with jedi abilities and tendencies into the fold, could be very interesting!

SciphonicStranger

the casting in the original triology was perfect which is why the casting in the prequels was so bothersome. :P

Yes I hope the "mythical" 7, 8, & 9 get made....the next generation as it were- luke fincing young jedi to train like han and leia's kids, bringing those with jedi abilities and tendencies into the fold, could be very interesting!

I'm sort of leery of Disney being involved with it though. Making these too "kid friendly" gives us more Phantom Menace... :p

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes. I may have disliked the crude language and such but the Plinkett reviews of the Star Wars Prequels were right on the money.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes. I may have disliked the crude language and such but the Plinkett reviews of the Star Wars Prequels were right on the money.

Yes, the Plinkett reviews are stellar. He didn't need all that extraneous stuff though as it just distracted from his points.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

LOVED those. :) Im not really a SW fan, although I found the first three movies very entertaining and they have a permanent place in my collection, along the other three awful ones. But MORE of this crap? Maybe, but I predict cheesy 3D versions with new annoying characters. Doing sometyhing ourside of the Skywalker/Vader vein would be refreshing, just as long as it is in the same universe.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
LOVED those. :) Im not really a SW fan, although I found the first three movies very entertaining and they have a permanent place in my collection, along the other three awful ones. But MORE of this crap? Maybe, but I predict cheesy 3D versions with new annoying characters. Doing sometyhing ourside of the Skywalker/Vader vein would be refreshing, just as long as it is in the same universe.

I assume by "first three" you mean the original trilogy?

The prequels were utter dreck. The Plinkett reviews were great because they were full out dissections and takedowns from the perspective of someone who pretty obviously has been to Film school and studied drama in college. It made them interesting in that level of detail.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I assume by "first three" you mean the original trilogy?

The prequels were utter dreck. The Plinkett reviews were great because they were full out dissections and takedowns from the perspective of someone who pretty obviously has been to Film school and studied drama in college. It made them interesting in that level of detail.

Yeah, the original trilogy.

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
I'm actually quite hopeful with this one. I expect Disney will have the sense not to let Lucas anywhere near a director's chair after the prequel fiasco...

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm actually quite hopeful with this one. I expect Disney will have the sense not to let Lucas anywhere near a director's chair after the prequel fiasco...
My understanding is that he's not going to be involved in the creation of any new Star Wars franchise films.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Lucas cant do any worse than Disney itself, which has not exactly been turning out winners. John Carter sucked badly. They seem clueless in their vision, and its like 80-year old men running it who are trying to use their version of what "hip and cool" is. :facepalm:. It is amazing how much racism, misogyny and backwards values are portrayed in Disney movies.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Lucas cant do any worse than Disney itself, which has not exactly been turning out winners. John Carter sucked badly. They seem clueless in their vision, and its like 80-year old men running it who are trying to use their version of what "hip and cool" is. :facepalm:. It is amazing how much racism, misogyny and backwards values are portrayed in Disney movies.

Well at least their Marvel division has managed to do something really good with their movies. Just as long as it isn't branded as a Disney film, it might actually turn out to be good. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well at least their Marvel division has managed to do something really good with their movies. Just as long as it isn't branded as a Disney film, it might actually turn out to be good. :D

Agreed. Same with Touchstone and Pixar. But Pixar is still a bit to monochromatic for my taste. How do you create stories and animated characters with such little diversity and insensitivity in 2012?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Pixar is uneven. Sometimes they really score (The Incredibles) but then sometimes they create true duds (Ant Bully). Marvel seems to hit more than miss.

With Lucasfilm, I'm okay with them rolling out more Star Wars movies so long as George Lucas is denied creative control and an actual screenwriter with bona fides writes the actual screenplays. The prequels showed Lucas is terrible at screenwriting and needs someone else to "logic check" his plots. Much like Russel T Davies did when he ran Doctor Who (the stuff he wrote himself was of much lesser quality than the stuff written by others).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pixar is uneven. Sometimes they really score (The Incredibles) but then sometimes they create true duds (Ant Bully). Marvel seems to hit more than miss.

With Lucasfilm, I'm okay with them rolling out more Star Wars movies so long as George Lucas is denied creative control and an actual screenwriter with bona fides writes the actual screenplays. The prequels showed Lucas is terrible at screenwriting and needs someone else to "logic check" his plots. Much like Russel T Davies did when he ran Doctor Who (the stuff he wrote himself was of much lesser quality than the stuff written by others).

From Disney? I wish them luck with that. Disney has never impressed me with ANY story.

SciphonicStranger

Why Buying Star Wars Was a Brilliant Move by Disney

I found this article to be interesting even though it is a little depressing. Some of things about entertainment that we complain about here (sequels, teen angst) will help make Disney tons of money. It just says to me that there is no incentive for these companies to produce something new and intelligent.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-buying-star-wars-brilliant-171308033.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I found this article to be interesting even though it is a little depressing. Some of things about entertainment that we complain about here (sequels, teen angst) will help make Disney tons of money. It just says to me that there is no incentive for these companies to produce something new and intelligent.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-buying-star-wars-brilliant-171308033.html

Disney can make scads of money just by re-releasing the existing set every 5 years or so, and just tacking on some tech-sounding enhancement to the new set (ie, BluRay, 3D, Digitally Remastered, etc). I fear that they will create newer, sillier kid-friendly characters who will later show up as people dressed in silly oversized costumes at Disneyland traumatizing small children. :facepalm:. Ice Saber Popsicle anyone? :uncomfortableness:

SciphonicStranger

Disney can make scads of money just by re-releasing the existing set every 5 years or so, and just tacking on some tech-sounding enhancement to the new set (ie, BluRay, 3D, Digitally Remastered, etc). I fear that they will create newer, sillier kid-friendly characters who will later show up as people dressed in silly oversized costumes at Disneyland traumatizing small children. :facepalm:. Ice Saber Popsicle anyone? :uncomfortableness:

I'm pretty sure there will be a Star Wars 7. I heard they are trying to get Kevin Smith to direct it as he is a huge SW geek.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm pretty sure there will be a Star Wars 7. I heard they are trying to get Kevin Smith to direct it as he is a huge SW geek.

Kevin Smith is an over-rated anal polyp of a man; a truly horrible, horrible human being. I would say he should go suck a bag of dicks but that would be degrading to bags of dicks everywhere. This "man" is a walking turd in an over-sized hockey jersey/bowling shirt that suffers from a ridiculous sense of self-importance and worth. A three-week old boiled ham at the back of the refrigerator has more talent, and smells better, than this butt chunk.

ksmith.jpg 2-tv-kevin-smith-art-gfug8dua-12-tv-kevin-smith-jpeg.jpg