Deep Space Nine: The only Star Trek series to end cleanly.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
great stuff about ds9

ensemble cast (hey like B5! :) )

great actors

a lot more info on klingon culture and customs

some good wrap ups to old stories from TNG and even TOS( Kang, Kor)

very good storyline throughout
----------------------------------------------
bad stuff

some over acting (Kira, Nog, Rom)

---way too much religion----

hard to believe that some of the characters would have embraced religion as they did--like Jadzia. early seasons she is all science and objectivity. last season she was in, last scene she was in, she is in a temple praying to 'prophets'

still a great show and 'infinitely rewatchable' IMO!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hi YJ02.

I don't think Kira is a proto SJW/FEMDOM myself.

If anything she always reminded me of women like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_Markievicz

Kira is a more believable interpretation of a fighting woman to me than later SJW culture creates. Kira is no more like them than Ripley out of Aliens is IMO. She's just a good character who happens to be a woman.

For me, the most SJW character by far in any Star Trek series is The Doctor from Voyager. His thinking, his motives and philosophies and even his very persona represents the current SJW mindset.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hi YJ02.

I don't think Kira is a proto SJW/FEMDOM myself.

If anything she always reminded me of women like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_Markievicz

Kira is a more believable interpretation of a fighting woman to me than later SJW culture creates. Kira is no more like them than Ripley out of Aliens is IMO. She's just a good character who happens to be a woman.

i guess my view is, and not just wit women characters, is that tptb's all to often make composite characters..the guy or girl who does everything, rather then spread stuff out across characters

but, stuff like having her go on missions away from the station while pregnant, was definitely 'making a statement' about something

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
As for over-acting in DS9, the Sisko definitely takes the crown, by far. He over-acted so much that it took me out of suspension of disbelief.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As for over-acting in DS9, the Sisko definitely takes the crown, by far. He over-acted so much that it took me out of suspension of disbelief.

Overacting in DS9, definitely Sisko. He is still one of my favorite captains. But the most over-acted character in Star Trek is still TOS Kirk to me. :). And again, The Doctor is right up there on the short list of the top five over-acted in my book. Strangely, Robert Picardo did his best work as Dr Soong in my opinion.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
For me, the most SJW character by far in any Star Trek series is The Doctor from Voyager. His thinking, his motives and philosophies and even his very persona represents the current SJW mindset.

I'm not seeing it.

When did the Doctor practice identity politics? Or try to build up one group by tearing down another? Or virtue signal?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not seeing it.

When did the Doctor practice identity politics? Or try to build up one group by tearing down another? Or virtue signal?

Oh my, the list is long (this is off the top)...

• Holograms are just like any other flesh and blood beings (Kes helps him with this concept)
  • Holograms have rights (Author of holonovel)
  • He tells Paris in Endgame that "I thought we were beyond those distinctions" when announcing his marriage to a human female and being asked if she was also a hologram.
  • He implies that sexual attraction has no gender when occupying Seven's body.
  • His entire persona centers around narcissism and self-importance and entitlement.
  • He spent LOTS of time virtue signaling, and also practicing identity politics. The entire holonovel episode was about identity politics.
He spends several episodes bragging about himself, his accomplishments, his talents, and taking credit for things he did not do. He would constantly brag about how holograms are immune to things humans are not. If he were a real person in real life, he would be insufferable.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The idea that holograms could be sentient beings and as such had full rights was indeed looked at in the show. However it was setup back in TNG with Moriarity.

Yeah the remark to Paris was a bit dumb in Endgame.

As to identity politics - when did the Doctor do it? Identity Politics by its nature requires regarding others not as individuals but instead as part of a group (for example assuming that all members of a group have the same opinions on a given item).

Likewise Virtue Signaling - when did the Doctor do something specifically to make himself appear morally virtuous to others?

His personality WAS grating - and it was a plot point in the show too. They wound up decommissioning his model from EMH service because of the caustic personality.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The idea that holograms could be sentient beings and as such had full rights was indeed looked at in the show. However it was setup back in TNG with Moriarity.

Yeah the remark to Paris was a bit dumb in Endgame.

As to identity politics - when did the Doctor do it? Identity Politics by its nature requires regarding others not as individuals but instead as part of a group (for example assuming that all members of a group have the same opinions on a given item).

All Mark 1's are scrubbing conduits are 'slaves'? They were created to be slaves. What does "Photons be Free" mean, anyway? He made them sound like a victim group. The alignment with the psychopathic hologram in "Revulsion", and the entirety of the "Author Author" episode was identity politics and overtly so.

Likewise Virtue Signaling - when did the Doctor do something specifically to make himself appear morally virtuous to others?

The episode "Nothing Human" was entirely about The Doctor virtue signaling from beginning to end. It centered around the Doctor recreating Cardassian doctor Crell Mosett to save B'Elanna, and all he did was virtue signal about doctors, about research and finally morality and justice. It ended with him symbolically executing Mosett for his crimes.

His personality WAS grating - and it was a plot point in the show too. They wound up decommissioning his model from EMH service because of the caustic personality.

Don't get the impression that I did not like The Doctor character. I loved him! But it was because he was comic relief in a way Neelix should have been but couldn't be because the actor playing him has no nuance (see him in The Island). The Doctor had wry humor and could be funny without even trying. He balanced out Seven is a good way, and was well integrated into the ensemble cast. The show would not have been the same without him. But I still think he was a SJW. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
DS9 could defi tolerate a continuation story. or at least inclusion in any new show

it's still there (not demo'd like B5 was); maybe diff staff, Kira could realistically be the Federation commander of the place

many character's stories are not finished at all- Garak could potentially be the leader of Cardassia under Federation protection. Jake could still be there waiting for his dad to re-appear.

Quark would definitely still be there; and hey? Miles and Keiko, Molly and Yoshi kart too!

Seriously though, DS9 is a busy hub f activity and there should be no reason why it isn't still up and running as the gateway to the gamma quadrant

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DS9 could defi tolerate a continuation story. or at least inclusion in any new show

it's still there (not demo'd like B5 was); maybe diff staff, Kira could realistically be the Federation commander of the place

many character's stories are not finished at all- Garak could potentially be the leader of Cardassia under Federation protection. Jake could still be there waiting for his dad to re-appear.

Quark would definitely still be there; and hey? Miles and Keiko, Molly and Yoshi kart too!

Seriously though, DS9 is a busy hub f activity and there should be no reason why it isn't still up and running as the gateway to the gamma quadrant

I agree. DS9 is the only Star Trek show to end cleanly, and would also be the only one which could be restarted cleanly (yes, with Jake). You could bring back Ben Sisko, Jake, Garak, Quark, Odo and Kira, but not Cassidy or Nog (because he died). Rom does not need to be a regular character since he is Grand Nagus. You would have to change the premise some, since Bajor is now in the Federation.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Miles is teaching at the Academy, remember? Julian might be there still. Keiko....hmm, perhaps she died in an unfortunate airlock incident or maybe got eaten by a carnivorous plant? She was not one of my favorite characters.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The conduit scrubbing actually was more subtle. Had the concept been the same as The Measure of a Man then the EMH programs would have simply been decompiled and had their personality subroutines altered. That the Mark I’s were moved to different duty shows that they did not feel free to do this so they must have regarded them as sentient beings - just ones with unpleasant personalities.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Miles is teaching at the Academy, remember? Julian might be there still.

he could have asked to come back..maybe rekindle something with Kira :)

Julian would still be there hustling darts

and Keiko- possibly the worst casting decision in ST history (of course leaving out the entirety of ST-d and nuTrek). the woman who played her was most defi a overachieving' actress. getting high octane out of what little screen time she did have

and Morn.... he is most defi, still there

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree. DS9 is the only Star Trek show to end cleanly, and would also be the only one which could be restarted cleanly (yes, with Jake). You could bring back Ben Sisko, Jake, Garak, Quark, Odo and Kira, but not Cassidy or Nog (because he died). Rom does not need to be a regular character since he is Grand Nagus. You would have to change the premise some, since Bajor is now in the Federation.

they could have some new characters as well, mix it up a bit too.. maybe a 'Lt CDR Harry Kim' assigned..maybe Garret Wang could fit into his hectic schedule :)

being serious though, just like everything else being consumed and repackaged and re heated for all of these streaming services.. how can CBS leave something like DS9 and its popularity, untouched?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
they could have some new characters as well, mix it up a bit too.. maybe a 'Lt CDR Harry Kim' assigned..maybe Garret Wang could fit into his hectic schedule :)

being serious though, just like everything else being consumed and repackaged and re heated for all of these streaming services.. how can CBS leave something like DS9 and its popularity, untouched?

I don't think the alternate license being used by the Kurtzman crew can reboot or remake any of the existing shows, or use any of their characters without licensing. I also think that the license fees were "massaged" for Picard to allow Seven, Data and any other characters from the original canon to be in the show. Perhaps uniforms and ship designs too? Who knows. But the merger certainly makes what you suggested a possibility.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't think the alternate license being used by the Kurtzman crew can reboot or remake any of the existing shows, or use any of their characters without licensing. I also think that the license fees were "massaged" for Picard to allow Seven, Data and any other characters from the original canon to be in the show. Perhaps uniforms and ship designs too? Who knows. But the merger certainly makes what you suggested a possibility.

i think the bottom line is, if someone thinks they can make money for everyone, and sells it to big TPTB the right way, whatever they want to happen will happen

money talks and preserving legacies does not make money

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I LOVED DS9- I call it Trek Noir- the gritty side of the federation universe. Sad to see it end, but loved the elegant way it did end.

Oh did you hear Nogg died of kidney problems. :(

Loved Sisko and his relationship with his son, Jacob. Great parenting not distant like most Trek parent -child relationships. :P

Oh gotta do a rewatch

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I LOVED DS9- I call it Trek Noir- the gritty side of the federation universe. Sad to see it end, but loved the elegant way it did end.

Oh did you hear Nogg died of kidney problems. :(

Loved Sisko and his relationship with his son, Jacob. Great parenting not distant like most Trek parent -child relationships. :P

Oh gotta do a rewatch
Did you happen to catch the documentary about DS9 which was released a few months ago? Supposedly, it's worth watching. I haven't actually seen it yet myself. Should put it on my list.