Darren Sumner: How Wrestling is Killing Science Fiction

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
You know there's something fishy when Darren puts all of the responsibility of SGU being cancelled on the shoulders of Syfy. But the creation, renewal and cancellation of the show is always the result of a negotiation between 3 parties: The producers, MGM and Syfy.
The producers determine how much the show costs to produce (the budget). MGM determines how much it would like to receive from the network for a show (taking other things such as DVD and syndication revenue in consideration). And Syfy determines how much it is able to pay for the show (based on advertising revenue).

Funny how at GW, Syfy is the only party ever blamed. Has anybody else ever wondered as well why it's always Syfy who's supposed to "forget profitability" and renew SGU for the sake of the fans and of the genre no matter what? Why nobody blames BW for making the show "too expensive" or wasting all the time on crappy episodes during season 1? Or why nobody ever blames MGM for not accepting less licensing money from Syfy to keep a good show going? Hmm...?

That is because there is an agenda behind GW's position. And it surely ain't the best interest of Stargate or science-fiction fans! JM's slobbering shoutout piece notwithstanding.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I agree it's a disingenuous article and the people praising it are either low level brownnosers or just too dim too see through it...

But I can imagine how portions like this on Darren's letter aren't going to make a wrestling fan like you happy, GF'76 :icon_lol:
:eek:

Beleive it or not, it's not the rampant "anti-wrestling" theme that is pissing me off (although I would be lying if it didn't add to my disgust), it's the narrow minded arrogance of the whole article. As popular as the WWE is around the world, it is still fairly niche in nature. To see Darren go after a fellow "niche group" because HE thinks what HE likes is superior or more "intelligent" of whatever half-arsed reason he wants to spin it as is what disgusts me more. Not only that "articles like that are in total violation of thier own code:

GW CVS said:
GateWorld exists as a place for fans all over the world to enhance their enjoyment of the Stargate franchise by sharing it with others. Our vision for this forum is that it will be an open and welcoming place for the enjoyment of Stargate and science fiction, a place free of hostility where we communicate and build friendships, and a home that is open to challenging discussions. While we affirm everyone's right to critique things they do not like, we ask that such comments be made with tact and respect for others. Our forum may be large, but it is our home, and we want to focus our time talking about the things we enjoy about our favorite shows.

Now, what Darren wrote does not break the code *in letter*, as it is worded only to "protect" Stargate, yet it bends the spirit of that code over a table and, well, use your imagination. (Actually, your better off not to)

The quote you lifted:-

Darren of Gateworld said:
Wrestling fans will watch Smackdown instead of NCIS on Tuesdays, because they are already in the habit of not making good life choices.

Is indeed one of the phrases I find utterly disgraceful.
The WWE weather anyone watches it or not, finds it crap or not, sends it's performers every year (At Christmastime no less) over to Iraq to entertain the troops and offers Free tickets to members of the armed services that DO watch it and enjoy it. Does that mean the US troops who watch it have made "bad life choices?" Now, I personally don't agree with the war in Iraq, but I'm damned if I would EVER insult the armed forces of a country in such a flippant and callous way. Some of course would say that "Oh, thats not what he meant, you are taking it out of context, he didn't mean THAT group, he meant THIS group" is just as bad. Words have power and those too ignorant to understand that have no business using them in such a fashion.

Right, stopping now before I get really revved up and start saying stuff I shouldn't either.

GRRRRRR!!!!!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You know there's something fishy when Darren puts all of the responsibility of SGU being cancelled on the shoulders of Syfy. But the creation, renewal and cancellation of the show is always the result of a negotiation between 3 parties: The producers, MGM and Syfy.
The producers determine how much the show costs to produce (the budget). MGM determines how much it would like to receive from the network for a show (taking other things such as DVD and syndication revenue in consideration). And Syfy determines how much it is able to pay for the show (based on advertising revenue).

Funny how at GW, Syfy is the only party ever blamed. Has anybody else ever wondered as well why it's always Syfy who's supposed to "forget profitability" and renew SGU for the sake of the fans and of the genre no matter what? Why nobody blames BW for making the show "too expensive" or wasting all the time on crappy episodes during season 1? Or why nobody ever blames MGM for not accepting less licensing money from Syfy to keep a good show going? Hmm...?

That is because there is an agenda behind GW's position. And it surely ain't the best interest of Stargate or science-fiction fans! JM's slobbering shoutout piece notwithstanding.

Mr A
Did you ever browse this thread at all:http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?80593-Did-Syfy-quot-damage-quot-SGU-s-chances-of-success

Funny that he never deigned to comment there where debate, rather than one sided commentary could be held.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Can I make a suggestion? I know it's weird coming from me, since I'm pretty reactionary myself... but I think we need to ignore Darren and move on.

Gateworld is over when SGU is over. He knows that, and wrote something extremely provocative and intentionally insulting -just- to get people talking about him and his site.

But frankly, neither he nor Gateworld are really worth the attention. They broke troth with the fans the moment they sold out, and now they're reaping what they've sown.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Can I make a suggestion? I know it's weird coming from me, since I'm pretty reactionary myself... but I think we need to ignore Darren and move on.

Gateworld is over when SGU is over. He knows that, and wrote something extremely provocative and intentionally insulting -just- to get people talking about him and his site.

But frankly, neither he nor Gateworld are really worth the attention. They broke troth with the fans the moment they sold out, and now they're reaping what they've sown.

Well yes, you are right and we really shouldn't pay him any mind, however, at some point someone has to stand up. Right now GW is the biggest site on the net for Stargate news and if they are not challenged at all, thier view will stand, and as far as I can see, this is a final attempt to make Syfy the bad guy in this whole mess. JM's little "god bless stargate" spiel and then this little swipe at Syfy just smells funny and too "coincidental" to me.

Tropicana

Council Member
Well yes, you are right and we really shouldn't pay him any mind, however, at some point someone has to stand up. Right now GW is the biggest site on the net for Stargate news and if they are not challenged at all, thier view will stand, and as far as I can see, this is a final attempt to make Syfy the bad guy in this whole mess. JM's little "god bless stargate" spiel and then this little swipe at Syfy just smells funny and too "coincidental" to me.
Indeed and I totally agree.

This joint cooperation between GW and Mallozzi says everything we need to know. Mallozzi blesses GW, GW attacks Syfy in the space of 24-48 hours. Not only coincidental, but more like intentional.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

This joint cooperation between GW and Mallozzi says everything we need to know. Mallozzi blesses GW, GW attacks Syfy in the space of 24-48 hours. Not only coincidental, but more like intentional.

Well without proof, you only have supposition, which is why I only said it smelled "funny"
Though it does remind me of a certain military tactic employed by the Russians in WW2.......................

Tropicana

Council Member
You know what they say -

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

I'm sticking to that - deductive reasoning. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Yes, obvious Darren is obvious. ;)

True he generally isn't worthy of notice but things like this are rather comedic and merit derision and ridicule.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Is there a way to tell what his site's traffic is like? Or do you have to be a webmaster to know something like that?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

What's really pathetic about the whole thing is that these two actually think that SyFy will even notice the slam. Or that sci-fi fandom will be so moved by Sumner's whining diatribe that we will start a cyber revolution to "fix" SyFy. :roll:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is there a way to tell what his site's traffic is like? Or do you have to be a webmaster to know something like that?

This. The sites like Alexa and others who claim to show website traffic statistics are never correct because the control of what gets crawled and how many hits are recorded is only on the server where the site is located and nowhere else.

S

Stonelesscutter

Just a few ridiculous quotes from the article I wanted to highlight.

Lately, however, your actions have started to concern me. Consider this an intervention on the part of those who love you.
Your mother and I are very concerned about the kids you have been hanging out with.
In short, cancelling SGU and Caprica because they couldn’t perform on Tuesdays was a mistake. You should own up to it. You should admit that those shows would have performed much better (about 40 percent, apparently) on Fridays, and it’s your fault that they didn’t have the chance.
Wrestling fans will watch Smackdown instead of NCIS on Tuesdays, because they are already in the habit of not making good life choices.
Think of it this way: If your best friend moves out to the sticks, he’ll have a hard time convincing you to come and visit as often. But if you build a 50,000-seat sports arena in the sticks, fans will carpool and rent buses to get out there.
??????????

If you had renewed Stargate and demonstrated that your expectations for Tuesdays in the fall are proportionately lower (about 40 percent lower, apparently), we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
I wonder if you had tried Mondays instead of Tuesdays back in October, if SGU might still be with us.
You’ll just be like everyone else.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I am surprised my comment wasn't deleted! :P sorry sgu sucks...simple as that! :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I am surprised my comment wasn't deleted! :P sorry sgu sucks...simple as that! :P

They cannot delete it sweetheart, to delete comments after obviously violating the spirit of thier own "moral code" with such a peice would be an even greater act of "career suicide" than publishing it in the first place.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They cannot delete it sweetheart, to delete comments after obviously violating the spirit of thier own "moral code" with such a peice would be an even greater act of "career suicide" than publishing it in the first place.

He'll just wait until no one's looking. ;)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
He'll just wait until no one's looking. ;)
Don't worry, we have it screencapped. And we'll be happy to post it here for our Wrestling fan friends ;)

Good luck, the wrestling fans have had it brought to thier attention now :D
(and no, not by me)
Probably by Darren himself! ALL he wants is traffic to his site, and now he'll get it from enraged WWE fans. I hope he enjoys it while it lasts... :roll:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Day has arrived and he is just now internalizing it.

Don't worry, we have it screencapped. And we'll be happy to post it here for our Wrestling fan friends ;)

Probably by Darren himself! ALL he wants is traffic to his site, and now he'll get it from enraged WWE fans. I hope he enjoys it while it lasts... :roll:

Exactly. Traffic means that those ads of his will be clicked, or viewed which generates a bit of money. Then there are the sponsors of the DVDs and other stuff they sell over there. But other than the forums and the news, how do you continue a site that is specifically "All things Stargate" and not "All things Science Fiction"? More significantly, how do you take THAT Stargate franchise which was built by Brad Wright, Mallozzi, Cooper (those who have participated in Gateworld and bumped uglies with them), and then make it relevant when there is no Stargate? So, here it is Darren:

REALITY CHECK:

• All the producers and actors of every Stargate show are out of a job. So are you.
  • There is no more Stargate. So, where does that leave Gateworld?
  • There is no more Mallozzi, no more Bridge set tours (because there are no sets), no promotional items, no movies, no exclusives, no reason for a Gateworld.
  • A future Stargate may not recognize any special status for Gateworld.
  • Can Gateworld sustain itself in its current structure? How relevant will the Gateworld Stargate Wiki be as time goes on?
Mozz, Brad, Cooper, Paul, all of the actors, all of the crews, all of the sets are gone. How arrogant of Darren to think he is somehow impervious. :facepalm: