Darren Sumner: How Wrestling is Killing Science Fiction

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Usually we just report the news here at GateWorld, but every now and again I feel it necessary to abuse my privilege as chief and editorialize a bit. This is one of those posts. Please just take it, for what it’s worth, as one science fiction fan’s opinion.

AN OPEN LETTER TO SYFY CHANNEL:
Thank you for the many years of outstanding entertainment you have given to me and my friends. While I haven’t agreed with every creative or scheduling decision, every killed-off character or series cancellation, I do recognize that because of Syfy Channel I have laughed, cried, and cheered over the likes of Farscape, Stargate, Sanctuary, Battlestar Galactica, and so many others.

Since you ventured into original, scripted drama more than a decade ago, you’ve been one of the best places on television for the genre that I love so much. And you’ve been one of the safest. The big networks put the pressure on shows and cancel them after a season or less, sometimes not even airing all the episodes they paid to have filmed. Firefly. Defying Gravity. The Event. No Ordinary Family. Moonlight. Earth 2. Surface. Invasion. Threshold. But you give new series time to find their audience. You’ve rescued shows from cancellation oblivion, you’ve aired those unaired episodes, and you’ve funded additional seasons when it looked like shows like Sliders and Stargate SG-1 were done.

Lately, however, your actions have started to concern me. Consider this an intervention on the part of those who love you. While your ratings are high and things seem like they are going great, you are on a self-destructive path. And it doesn’t just hurt you. It doesn’t just hurt those who fall in love with your outstanding scripted dramas. It’s hurting the science fiction genre.

I understand that reality programming is here to stay. Because it’s less expensive to produce and typically gets as-good or better ratings than scripted fare, reality TV has become a building block for the television landscape in the twenty-first century. Hopefully that will come with some balance — something scripted, something unscripted, and viewers will choose what they like. Face Off and Ghost Hunters are cool ideas. But please, do not forsake scripted drama because it doesn’t have as high a cost-benefit ratio.

I think you know this, and it’s not why I am writing today. I’m writing to talk about professional wrestling. Your mother and I are very concerned about the kids you have been hanging out with. I recognize that WWE Smackdown is the cool kid: he gets double the ratings of nearly any other show on the network, which is a huge boon to your ratings averages and, ultimately, to your profitability. Money earned from wrestling can then be invested in making shows that don’t rate as highly. Like the Republicans say, the ratings “wealthy” can create jobs for the “middle class” of TV shows. It’s not a terrible idea, even if I don’t think that wrestling fits with your network brand.
You can find the rest of the article here:
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/05/how-wrestling-is-killing-science-fiction

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Darren Sumner
Usually we just report the news here at GateWorld, but every now and again I feel it necessary to abuse my privilege as chief and editorialize a bit.

Darren Sumner, owner of GateWorld, sanctions extreme censorship and draconian banning practices on his own forum. He was (and possibly still is) a hand puppet for TPTB of SGU. He is hardly the voice of objectivity. The evidence of this is too overwhelming to ignore. His opinion -- on anything -- is suspect. Whether he's right or wrong on a topic is irrelevant as his opinion isn't respectable enough to be valued.

Plus he sounds like a crybaby. Boo hoo! Having wrestling on SyFy is almost worth it to see how it's affected poor little Darren.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Here's my issue - I'm fairly sure Wrestling happens on Friday and Syfy buy the rights to air it then?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Syfy have a choice when it airs. If thats the case then his entire article seems a little pointless.

He does have a point that Syfy isn't a science fiction channel anymore but I'm sure they know that already.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Darren Sumner, owner of GateWorld, sanctions extreme censorship and draconian banning practices on his own forum. He was (and possibly still is) a hand puppet for TPTB of SGU. He is hardly the voice of objectivity. The evidence of this is too overwhelming to ignore. His opinion -- on anything -- is suspect. Whether he's right or wrong on a topic is irrelevant as his opinion isn't respectable enough to be valued.

Plus he sounds like a crybaby. Boo hoo! Having wrestling on SyFy is almost worth it to see how it's affected poor little Darren.

Dude, perhaps you missed Jmozz's recent lovefest for GW? there not in TPTB pockets, no they just inspire positive interaction :P

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
The big question of course is: why now?

Wrestling has been on SyFy a long time. Long enough to be a proven source of ratings and therefore good income for the channel, regardless of one's opinion about it. This is water that's not only way under the bridge by now but has already been used for washing the village's clothes and has finally merged with the sea.

He's doing this editorial now because SGU is ending and it's okay to bite one of the hands that's been supporting him. ;) With SGU's ending, the franchise is going into silent mode for a while. Perhaps long enough to kill a dedicated Stargate LOVE and RAINBOWS website, since that's pretty much all they talk about there. So this is all about making his first foray into branching out into other things. In the next few weeks, he needs to garner support from people who want to talk about general sci-fi and not just Stargate. If he doesn't, his site will die SGU's death.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Here's my issue - I'm fairly sure Wrestling happens on Friday and Syfy buy the rights to air it then?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Syfy have a choice when it airs. If thats the case then his entire article seems a little pointless.

He does have a point that Syfy isn't a science fiction channel anymore but I'm sure they know that already.

Not entirely true Yoshi my mate.
Monday night RAW is televised live so you can't really change the day it is shown on. Smackdown however is recorded (IIRC) on Tuesday nights (except for the few live ones). It is possible to change the night on which it airs to Wed-Sat (Sunday is reserved for PPV) and, I'll even grant that most fans would follow it to another night.

However
Smackdown has been on Friday nights since 2005 (it did originally air on Thursdays) and you are (IMO) quite right in saying that Syfy was probably not given a choice in Timeslot if it wanted Smackdown on it's network, because quite frankly, Syfy as a business entity is a small fish in comparison to the WWE, and yes, that makes Darrens peice all but pointless, though, judging from the comments it has generated, it has served the purpose of creating positive spin for his site (oh so coincidentally close to JM's "glowing reccomendations" on his blog no less).
Is Syfy a Science fiction channel anymore??
Perhaps not, but from a business perspective, could any Cable Network support survive on just Scifi now? These are not the 90's or even the early '00's where there was Scifi programming damn near everywhere, sad, but true.

UxmalTrekker

K'inich Yax K'uk'Mo'

Wrestling has been on SyFy a long time. Long enough to be a proven source of ratings and therefore good income for the channel, regardless of one's opinion about it. This is water that's not only way under the bridge by now but has already been used for washing the village's clothes and has finally merged with the sea.

He's doing this editorial now because SGU is ending and it's okay to bite one of the hands that's been supporting him. ;) With SGU's ending, the franchise is going into silent mode for a while. Perhaps long enough to kill a dedicated Stargate LOVE and RAINBOWS website, since that's pretty much all they talk about there. So this is all about making his first foray into branching out into other things. In the next few weeks, he needs to garner support from people who want to talk about general sci-fi and not just Stargate. If he doesn't, his site will die SGU's death.

I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head there.

I have a counter question for Darren. Wouldn’t Syfy die a very quick death if they got rid of their most profitable programming in favor of niche shows that, unfortunately, will never likely pull a ratio of profitability close to what wrestling does? In reality, sci-fi fans hate the path that Syfy has taken, we’ve all expressed it. However, that slow death that is so often spoken of is in our hearts alone, and no where else. Yeah, non science fiction programs on what used to be a channel dedicated to science fiction equates to sad days for us but it’s a lifeline for Syfy.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ya know what cracks me up the most about the whole "WWE on Syfy" thing?

"WWE has no business being on our channel, get rid of it"

"If SGU had WWE as a lead in, it would have gotten better ratings"

Which is it boys and girls, do you want it and the eyeballs it can supposedly bring, or do you want it gone, make up your minds.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
I don't get it? Wrestling was back on Syfy even when SG-1, SGA, and BSG ran. It did not stop their numbers. During Season 5 of SGA, Wrestling was pulling in less viewers than SGA. It's a very simple solution. Scripted shows get between a 500,000 to 1,000,000 lift from DVR, Wrestling hardly gets any lift. In the end, shows like W13 and Eureka are actually attracting more viewers.

If anything Wrestling helps to get some younger viewers into the scripted shows.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

he clearly isn't ready to name the real problem...the show freaking sucked!!! no smack down, no wrong night, the show stinks!

Not entirely true Yoshi my mate.
Monday night RAW is televised live so you can't really change the day it is shown on. Smackdown however is recorded (IIRC) on Tuesday nights (except for the few live ones). It is possible to change the night on which it airs to Wed-Sat (Sunday is reserved for PPV) and, I'll even grant that most fans would follow it to another night.

However
Smackdown has been on Friday nights since 2005 (it did originally air on Thursdays) and you are (IMO) quite right in saying that Syfy was probably not given a choice in Timeslot if it wanted Smackdown on it's network, because quite frankly, Syfy as a business entity is a small fish in comparison to the WWE, and yes, that makes Darrens peice all but pointless, though, judging from the comments it has generated, it has served the purpose of creating positive spin for his site (oh so coincidentally close to JM's "glowing reccomendations" on his blog no less).
Is Syfy a Science fiction channel anymore??
Perhaps not, but from a business perspective, could any Cable Network support survive on just Scifi now? These are not the 90's or even the early '00's where there was Scifi programming damn near everywhere, sad, but true.

actually is it called FRIDAY night smackdown.....would be hard to air that on sunday night! :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Dude, perhaps you missed Jmozz's recent lovefest for GW? there not in TPTB pockets, no they just inspire positive interaction :P

No, I haven't seen the lovefest yet. It isn't surprising that JM would plug GW as he has new irons in the fire and will want to exploit any outlet he can when the time comes.

I'm not sure which is more pathetic though, JM for still thinking he can appreciably influence viewership for his dreck via a website or Darren Sumner for willingly putting on the collar and jumping into JM's lap. Good doggy! :icon_lol:

Tropicana

Council Member
I disagree with Sumner's opinion. In that Syfy is a branch of a business corporation, i.e. NBC Universal. They got targets to meet, advertising to attract, audience, revenue generation. Syfy got to do what it needs to do in order to survive, in order to make NBC Universal happy.

Just like Halifax and Bank of Scotland gotta do what it needs to do to make Lloyds Banking Group happy, just like any other conglomerate companies around the world. They have purchased your company and made it into a subsidiary company, your job is to meet the parent company's targets and make them money.

Sumner and alike has decided to get all editorial on a business decision that was agreed upon a long time ago between Syfy/Sci-Fi Channel and NBC Universal. They agreed to be bought in order to survive and continue, they agreed to have their name changed in order for them to broaden their programming and increase audience shares and improve revenue generation opportunities. Sci-Fi as a genre is a niche, true. But TV channels have to change and be flexible in order to survive in this dynamic and ever fluid world.

If Sci-Fi Channel was way stronger back then, then it wouldn't have offered itself to be bought. Since it has been acquired by NBC Universal then clearly, Sci-Fi Channel back then was in trouble financially for quite some time and it was only a matter of time before it has to cease trading. NBC Universal may have saved Syfy's ass for all we know and now, it has to abide to NBC Universal's wishes, not their own wishes - thus if Wrestling is needed in order for them to meet their targets set by NBC Universal, then so be it.

EDIT:

I'm a sci-fi fan too but you got to know how to play the system - the business game. You got to appreciate the complexities that is Syfy and its position that it is in, that it is a business first. If Syfy no longer caters to the sci-fi fan then either create a new channel, or encourage a different channel to show sci-fi, and over time get them to grow the sci-fi genre, while making it financially viable, you got to make the sums not only add up but to show clearly, that it's profitable, and that's where the problem lies. Since sci-fi is a medium sized niche, it's gonna be difficult to sustain, not impossible but difficult. That is why sci-fi shows now are dotted all over the place, on various channels cos no one channel can make it survivable and sustainable under one roof featuring sci-fi alone. If Sumner can make it viable, go ahead, show it, present it and believe you me, he or anyone will become rich and many sci-fi fans will worship ya.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Traffic on GW must have really,really dropped since universe wasn't given a 3rd season.
As much as I hate to see wrestling on the syfy channel I can see why they are having it on....

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I don't get it? Wrestling was back on Syfy even when SG-1, SGA, and BSG ran. It did not stop their numbers. During Season 5 of SGA, Wrestling was pulling in less viewers than SGA. It's a very simple solution. Scripted shows get between a 500,000 to 1,000,000 lift from DVR, Wrestling hardly gets any lift. In the end, shows like W13 and Eureka are actually attracting more viewers.

If anything Wrestling helps to get some younger viewers into the scripted shows.

IIRC, previously it was only NXT on Syfy wasn't it?

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
<snip>

Lately, however, your actions have started to concern me. Consider this an intervention on the part of those who love you. While your ratings are high and things seem like they are going great, you are on a self-destructive path. And it doesn’t just hurt you. It doesn’t just hurt those who fall in love with your outstanding scripted dramas. It’s hurting the science fiction genre.

<snip>
The interesting thing about this 'letter' from Darren is that it reminds me of the thousands and thousands of letters and online comments SG1 and SGA fans wrote to the PTB when they cancelled Atlantis and started airing SGU instead! Some people were downright nasty back then, but most of the fans were very polite and friendly in asking that MGM and the producers of Stargate reconsider turning away from adventure sci-fi and diving into the soap-fi fad in hopes of making larger profits at the expense of the loyal followers of the franchise (even though we were right in pointing out the folly of that endeavor, while Darren here is arguing against a successful strategy). I should know - I wrote a couple of those myself.

Darren's site censored such letters and appeals, siding with the PTB and with the "SG was getting stale and had to 'evolve' in this direction" crowd. He drove us away from his site and tried to silence us. Funny how when we Stargate fans criticized our franchise for taking a wrong turn and going down a bad path, we were deemed by the people at GW to be "SG haters" or just "haters". But now, when Darren - a self proclaimed fan of the network - criticizes Syfy, he sees himself as a concerned parent. Ironic how that works, no? So should we call GW now a site of Syfy (or TV) haters?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Man craig is getting inundated here is opinion of the gw article...

@GateWorld Too soon to say about Mondays though. Change is still quite recent. We'll see how it does.

6 hours ago
syfy_icon_normal.jpg

Syfy Craig Engler @

@GateWorld Night of the week and lead-in always matter. TV is a complex beast...hundreds of factors impact shows also, not just the obvious.

6 hours ago

syfy_icon_normal.jpg

Syfy Craig Engler @

@GateWorld In hindsight I also think 1-3 being somewhat self-contained unintentionally provided an easy break point for sampling viewers.

6 hours ago

syfy_icon_normal.jpg

Syfy Craig Engler @

@GateWorld It's frustrating because the audience grew from 1-3...not a lot, but any growth during first few eps is usually quite promising

6 hours ago

syfy_icon_normal.jpg

Syfy Craig Engler @

@GateWorld Hard to say. By that point I think everyone who was going to sample the show had watched & made up their minds.

6 hours ago

syfy_icon_normal.jpg

Syfy Craig Engler @

@GateWorld Typo...by 7. Then we saw a promising recovery in 8/9, then a big drop at 10, then another small recovery after hiatus for 11/12

6 hours ago

»
syfy_icon_normal.jpg

Syfy Craig Engler @

@GateWorld I think the real issue is that running on Fri, straight through, 1/3 of the audience who tried by ep 3 left by ep 6.

6 hours ago
http://twitter.com/#!/syfy

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The interesting thing about this 'letter' from Darren is that it reminds me of the thousands and thousands of letters and online comments SG1 and SGA fans wrote to the PTB when they cancelled Atlantis and started airing SGU instead! Some people were downright nasty back then, but most of the fans were very polite and friendly in asking that MGM and the producers of Stargate reconsider turning away from adventure sci-fi and diving into the soap-fi fad in hopes of making larger profits at the expense of the loyal followers of the franchise (even though we were right in pointing out the folly of that endeavor, while Darren here is arguing against a successful strategy). I should know - I wrote a couple of those myself.

Darren's site censored such letters and appeals, siding with the PTB and with the "SG was getting stale and had to 'evolve' in this direction" crowd. He drove us away from his site and tried to silence us. Funny how when we Stargate fans criticized our franchise for taking a wrong turn and going down a bad path, we were deemed by the people at GW to be "SG haters" or just "haters". But now, when Darren - a self proclaimed fan of the network - criticizes Syfy, he sees himself as a concerned parent. Ironic how that works, no? So should we call GW now a site of Syfy (or TV) haters?

I'll make it even simpler:
6a00d8341bfa1853ef012876f076a8970c-250wi

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Well, there's no way he can dazzle people with actual brilliance... so that leaves him... you know... ;)

BullShit.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Is it sad that the more times I read that article, and the associated comment I grow ever more furious??

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Is it sad that the more times I read that article, and the associated comment I grow ever more furious??
I agree it's a disingenuous article and the people praising it are either low level brownnosers or just too dim too see through it...

But I can imagine how portions like this on Darren's letter aren't going to make a wrestling fan like you happy, GF'76 :icon_lol:
Wrestling fans will watch Smackdown instead of NCIS on Tuesdays, because they are already in the habit of not making good life choices.
:eek: