DARK season 1-2

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So many people who have tried to watch this show give up

they complain its in German and dont want to watch subtitles--I agree, set the audio to english dummkopf! this is a show that you will need to watch what is going on on screen and not reading subs

then they watch a little bit, see kids disappearing in caves and say "oh, its just like STRANGER THINGS, netflix is ripping itself off!"

oh are'nt you clever Mr and Mrs Whiny face millennial know it all? actually it is NOTHING like STRANGER THINGS at all!

then they complain there are too many characters and then that later, many of the characters appear in diff iterations of themselves from different times

well, Mr short attention span, wake the f%ck up and maybe, just maybe, you will be able to enjoy a very well made show

and now, it seems after s2 , it is most definitely a sci fi show.

some type of ancient time travel in a cave with two tunnels--one goes to the future, one goes to the past. powered by some unknown natural phenomena?

time travel also possible by man made devices

and then we get what we are led to believe is a device that goes between realities? unclear as of s2 finale

yes, it drags a bit, yes, the character number is cumbersome, yes, it does bring up some taboo issues-but they all serve the plot. and no, it is not about some satanic human sacrificial cult bs some asshole put online about it

if you want to watch some well made sci fi, that doesn't depend on over budgeted sfx to substitute for a well written story, watch this show

a review of DARK so far, from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/21/dark-season-two-review-netflix-german-drama

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Thanks! Sounds intriguing. Added it to my list.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
DO NOT get discouraged by the first couple of eps in s1. a lot of introduction and exposition, it can be a bit slow at first

hope you enjoy it! :)
I am going to check it out too. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and s3 -the final season- is in production now

i like it when tptb's know ahead of time how many seasons. usually means they have it mapped out ahead of time instead of winging it to nurse a show along

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
DO NOT get discouraged by the first couple of eps in s1. a lot of introduction and exposition, it can be a bit slow at first

hope you enjoy it! :)
I watched the first four or five episodes last night already. Guess I'm liking it so far.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
@Lord Ba'al did you make it through to the end of S2?
Yes I did! I like this show, it's good. Will probably have to watch it again to understand certain things better. When I do, I might do it with German audio and subs. When will season 3 come?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes I did! I like this show, it's good. Will probably have to watch it again to understand certain things better. When I do, I might do it with German audio and subs. When will season 3 come?

set to release in 2020
https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Season-3-Dark-Netflix-46232053

it will be the final season (like i said above, i like it when a show has a planned ending. usually means it has been planned out well )

how did you like all of those scenarios of family relativity? like "my kid is also my mom!"

damned time travel!!!
-------------------------------------------
they left some stuff from s1 nearly untouched in s2. especially the whole future as a war zone thing. it was alluded to but, i think in s3 we will also get into parallel universes as well as time travel, so of course, there will be diff potentials for diff futures

and, do you (or anyone) appreciate as i do, the ability of shows like this to be sci fi without a reliance of heavy use of SFX?
imo, sfx is used heavily when tptb's realize they have shit for a script

why german? do you understand spoken german well enough? no dutch selection?... just curious

thxs

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I do appreciate that they managed to make the show work as scifi with hardly using any SFX. The family relativity scenarios are interesting, but this is one of the reasons I'm thinking about rewatching the show, because I don't think I have it all mapped out quite yet. I'm thinking German because that's what it was originally made in. Probably gives me a chance to learn some German. I don't anticipate much difficulty here, especially because I will already know in broad strokes what's going down.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Probably gives me a chance to learn some German

wondering---

aside form the broad point that we are all pretty much speaking and typing in a germanic language, English being that, and knowing that dutch is also considered to be a germanic language, are there any cognates or exact word meanings between dutch and german?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
wondering---

aside form the broad point that we are all pretty much speaking and typing in a germanic language, English being that, and knowing that dutch is also considered to be a germanic language, are there any cognates or exact word meanings between dutch and german?
I'm not sure what you mean here. Dutch and German are quite similar although many words still are different.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm not sure what you mean here. Dutch and German are quite similar although many words still are different.

right they are similar, so are danish and german but it is said that the languages are far from mutually intelligible

sorry, that is the phrase i forgot previously- mutually intelligible.

so, i wouldn't think that dutch and german are mutually intelligible, but could you understand the basic gist of a simple conversation in german solely has a dutch speaker (not knowing any german vocabulary)?

i know these kind of questions can be irritating. when ppl find out my wife is korean and that i understand and speak some of it i get stuff like "is korean and japanese the same?"

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
right they are similar, so are danish and german but it is said that the languages are far from mutually intelligible

sorry, that is the phrase i forgot previously- mutually intelligible.

so, i wouldn't think that dutch and german are mutually intelligible, but could you understand the basic gist of a simple conversation in german solely has a dutch speaker (not knowing any german vocabulary)?

i know these kind of questions can be irritating. when ppl find out my wife is korean and that i understand and speak some of it i get stuff like "is korean and japanese the same?"
I don't think they are mutually intelligible. I think for Dutch people it might be easier to understand German than it would be for German people to understand Dutch. But then, I did get some German in school and I don't think people in Germany could get Dutch as a language subject. I should note though that from the first German lesson I immediately recognized similarities with Dutch. Also, Germans living quite near the Dutch border are likely to understand and possibly speak Dutch and the same is likely the case the other way around.

As a sidenote, if you were to put for example a French, Spanish or Italian newspaper in front of me and asked me to read an article, I could probably get the general gist of it without knowing a lot of the words. This is despite never having had Spanish or Italian lessons. But I did get French at school.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I could probably get the general gist of it without knowing a lot of the words. This is despite never having had Spanish or Italian lessons. But I did get French at school.

yes, this is pretty common for people who pay attention wit these related languages

i had 2 yrs of spanish in hs, then about 20 yrs of listening to native Spanish speakers of various dialects in the army (they have to speak english for official business but can speak spanish among themselves for non duty related stuff).

that a little bit of knowledge with latin makes it not to difficult to decipher italian and french or portuguese

but the germanic speaking peoples, they made things quite a mash up in europe with their migrations. even the romance languages have their fair share of german loan words with spanish dialects having strong gothic and vandalic german and italian having its share of lombardic and gothic german

anyhow, we digress.... :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Season 3 has dropped on Netflix today. I will be watching it, but I figured I'd start with the last episode of season 2 first. Barely five minutes in, I decided it would be better to start over from scratch. So now I'm halfway through season 1 episode 2. I'm doing it in English though, by the way. I know I said before that I would rewatch it in German, but I'll save that for another time. I have forgotten a lot about the show, so I need to get my head in it again. I remember how confusing it was the first time around. :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Halfway through season 2 now. The show is still just as interesting to watch as the first time. Perhaps even more interesting. I hope season 3 lives up to it.