CRISPR Gattaca in real life.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

OMG...This is scary. Having to create the perfect being while making us obsolete

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

OMG...This is scary. Having to create the perfect being while making us obsolete

Man cannot create the perfect being no matter what he thinks. The group of scientists who are involved in this shit deserve to be executed.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Man cannot create the perfect being no matter what he thinks. The group of scientists who are involved in this shit deserve to be executed.
You say that but give it enough time and we will perfect it through the help of computers. I think this technology is scary even if it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. The rules can be re-written at anytime. We are seeing it with the internet and our society in general.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You say that but give it enough time and we will perfect it through the help of computers. I think this technology is scary even if it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. The rules can be re-written at anytime. We are seeing it with the internet and our society in general.

Technology is not the problem. Ethics and a sense of loyalty to Nature is. Too many scientists ignore the "morality" of what they do. People who carry defective genes would be weeded out by nature if left alone. This makes for a healthier population. People with advanced immune systems, higher stamina or strength or whatever trait already exist. They naturally attract a certain type of compatible female, and the whole process is organic and designed to create healthier offspring. This "science" upends that and is a travesty.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Technology is not the problem. Ethics and a sense of loyalty to Nature is. Too many scientists ignore the "morality" of what they do. People who carry defective genes would be weeded out by nature if left alone. This makes for a healthier population. People with advanced immune systems, higher stamina or strength or whatever trait already exist. They naturally attract a certain type of compatible female, and the whole process is organic and designed to create healthier offspring. This "science" upends that and is a travesty.

Ethics are just rules we have made up just to delay the inevitable.Nature, nor(some) humans or corporations give a shit about ethics. If corporation did care about 'ethics', Apple wouldn't exist right now. Apple, Amazon, Google, BMW, Call Centres, and infact most all corporations break the ethical code all the time. They leech hours and our life as much as they can and in return we all get paid paper notes that has less value and enjoyment than our creative/passionate work. Nature doesn't give a shit about ethics, otherwise you wouldn't see the destructive weathers that kill millions of people, or giving birth to us in the first place. We are already closer to building Human clones and infact using stem cells from unfertilized eggs to grow organs. Western nation won't be the first to do so as it is currently banned in most western countries. Though not the US or the UK where the laws are a bit relaxed but no doubt someone is trying to be the first. That first company will be mega rich and then there will be pressure from lobbyist, the public to remove the ban and that will soon open the flood gates. I agree that at first any idea may seem great at first, but like all great ideas, it's a slippery slope to the bottom and us pushing the boundaries and getting wreckless and careless.

Genetic engineering is already here and infact open to the public. We already have glowing fish with different colors. But like all things, it creates a slight uproar but life continues/it adapts and moves on.

https://www.glofish.com

They are already clonning dogs in south Korea.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ethics are just rules we have made up just to delay the inevitable.Nature, nor(some) humans or corporations give a shit about ethics. If corporation did care about 'ethics', Apple wouldn't exist right now. Apple, Amazon, Google, BMW, Call Centres, and infact most all corporations break the ethical code all the time. They leech hours and our life as much as they can and in return we all get paid paper notes that has less value and enjoyment than our creative/passionate work. Nature doesn't give a shit about ethics, otherwise you wouldn't see the destructive weathers that kill millions of people, or giving birth to us in the first place. We are already closer to building Human clones and infact using stem cells from unfertilized eggs to grow organs. Western nation won't be the first to do so as it is currently banned in most western countries. Though not the US or the UK where the laws are a bit relaxed but no doubt someone is trying to be the first. That first company will be mega rich and then there will be pressure from lobbyist, the public to remove the ban and that will soon open the flood gates. I agree that at first any idea may seem great at first, but like all great ideas, it's a slippery slope to the bottom and us pushing the boundaries and getting wreckless and careless.

Genetic engineering is already here and infact open to the public. We already have glowing fish with different colors. But like all things, it creates a slight uproar but life continues/it adapts and moves on.

https://www.glofish.com

They are already clonning dogs in south Korea.

Those who are okay with this frankenstein science are going to be okay with it no matter what, so I can't worry about them. Personally, I want only Nature-designed foods, weather, water, air and also friends. People who are born from genetic engineering will be pariahs in society regardless of what "advances" science thinks they are. I am strongly against genetic engineering in a lab to manipulate genetic traits. Nothing is going to make me approve of it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Those who are okay with this frankenstein science are going to be okay with it no matter what, so I can't worry about them. Personally, I want only Nature-designed foods, weather, water, air and also friends. People who are born from genetic engineering will be pariahs in society regardless of what "advances" science thinks they are. I am strongly against genetic engineering in a lab to manipulate genetic traits. Nothing is going to make me approve of it.
Agree but you and I won't be part of re-writing the rules. We never will be and never are. It's people with a lot of money and they'll be the ones who will write the rules of what can be cloned, what period and when not you and I. This is the harsh reality of life. We often don't agree with a lot of things that are questionable, but ultimately, it's what people with power/money and majority wins. Go watch the NVIDIA presentation I just posted in the CES thread and that should sends chills down your spine of how exponential this growth is with AI and technology in general. Today life for me changed forever, and I don't know where I am going to be. I know many people think that this is decades away but I think this is 5-10 years away. It's extremely scary and frightening at the sametime that this what we thought would be a work of fiction will soon be a reality. I don't know where I am going to be. Perhaps I'll cease to exist because you can't beat AI.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The First American CRISPR Trial in Humans Will Target Cancer

CRISPR is currently humanity’s most effective and efficient gene-editing tool, and the technology is no longer just limited to editing plants or laboratory animals. In November 2016, Chinese scientists actually tested CRISPR in a human, and now, a human CRISPR trial is about to begin in the United States.

In June 2016, an advisory board of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) gave doctors from the University of Pennsylvania Health System (Penn Medicine), led by Edward Stadtmauer, the initial approval needed to begin human CRISPR trials. According to a post in a directory of ongoing clinical tests, the team is now almost ready to begin their trial.

https://futurism.com/first-american-human-crispr-trial-target-cancer/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I wish more research would go into what CAUSES the cancers instead of after-the-fact (and insanely expensive) "treatments" involving messing around with DNA and gene splicing. I really hope either that this sort of research is banned or stopped by some lab disaster.
Dude, you can't stop progress. This is part of life and we are all part of a process of creating AI and the perfect system.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude, you can't stop progress. This is part of life and we are all part of a process of creating AI and the perfect system.

There is already a perfect system, and it is already in place. Man's systems can NEVER be perfect because Man is not perfect. One of his major imperfections is thinking that he is perfect and superior and supreme. None of this is progress. It's just experimentation with tools that are more powerful than those who wield them.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
There is already a perfect system, and it is already in place. Man's systems can NEVER be perfect because Man is not perfect. One of his major imperfections is thinking that he is perfect and superior and supreme. None of this is progress. It's just experimentation with tools that are more powerful than those who wield them.
Not according to nature we are not which is why we were created in the first place. Advancement in Tech is progress and I feel as though the world will change in the next 10 years. The question really depends, on how much though?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
This is how every creature comfort you now enjoy and probably can't live without came to be.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not according to nature we are not which is why we were created in the first place. Advancement in Tech is progress and I feel as though the world will change in the next 10 years. The question really depends, on how much though?

Nature created the perfect system, and frankly no human who ever existed can define perfection. Nature already defined it. Just because you do not understand certain things about it does not mean that those things are "flaws". Death is not a flaw, it's a feature. In computer terms, the process of Natural Selection would be like patch updates. The inferior genes are eliminated and the advantageous ones are kept. That is not a flaw, it's a feature as well. These scientists doing this gene work represent a computer virus, invading the Nature Operating System and infecting the source code and messing around with the system registry. They are the flaw.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is how every creature comfort you now enjoy and probably can't live without came to be.

Creature comforts....please define. :) Nature has provided all the food we need, shelter, fresh water, even medicinal plants and herbs. Nature evolved humans and the human brain which gives us the power to rationalize our choices. Those who are unable to align with Nature will be eliminated by Nature. Nature has provided ALL creatures with these comforts. There is nothing created by Man that "I can't live without".

Natural selection and time will remove all the crap Man has done to the environment. Nature will kill off the genetically modified organisms, and it will also kill off humans who cannot adapt to the changing climate. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. Nature is a perfect system.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Nature created the perfect system, and frankly no human who ever existed can define perfection. Nature already defined it. Just because you do not understand certain things about it does not mean that those things are "flaws". Death is not a flaw, it's a feature. In computer terms, the process of Natural Selection would be like patch updates. The inferior genes are eliminated and the advantageous ones are kept. That is not a flaw, it's a feature as well. These scientists doing this gene work represent a computer virus, invading the Nature Operating System and infecting the source code and messing around with the system registry. They are the flaw.

I get the feeling that we were introduced because we were designed to make the situation worse not better. Just look at this.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Creature comforts....please define. :) Nature has provided all the food we need, shelter, fresh water, even medicinal plants and herbs. Nature evolved humans and the human brain which gives us the power to rationalize our choices. Those who are unable to align with Nature will be eliminated by Nature. Nature has provided ALL creatures with these comforts. There is nothing created by Man that "I can't live without".

How about toilet paper?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How about toilet paper?

Um...I learned exactly how to deal with that in the military! :shame:. Nature has provided that too, but you have to be VERY careful, or you could have poison ivy or poison oak in that place where the sun don't shine! Seriously though, how do you think the over 4 BILLION (of the total 7.5 billion of the global population) humans living who do not have toilet paper deal with it? In Mexico, only about half the population can even afford toilet paper so they use cloths they make just for that purpose (which have to be rewashed).