Cowboys and Aliens Trailer

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love a good western...this wasn't. it reminded me of the old serial shorts from the 40's. I just have a differing opinion than yours my friend. :) but then my favorite westerns starred John Wayne!

Im gonna get it. :) Im downloading it now, and when I watch it I will give it the same treatment as I did John Carter a few days ago. :tongue: :laughingattv:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just a difference of opinion Omni. Like I said, I wouldn't give this thing an oscar but to me it was solid.

Did you see John Carter, and if so did you like it?

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
The movie had potential but, IMO, fell flat. By the end of the movie, I was "meh"'ing the whole drive home. I caught it at a double-feature drive-in from the comfort of my car.
indeed potential but VERY FLAT.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you see John Carter, and if so did you like it?

Have not yet seen John Carter - from the commercials I am not hopeful as it has that dumb slo-mo combat stuff I detest,

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
just surprising is all ;)

Surprised me too actually. While I like some westerns (for example "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" is IMHO the best western ever made) I perfectly understand Rac's comment that the plot here was on the level of one of the old western TV shows. And like I said, you could substitute a large band of well armed bandits for the aliens and have a totally conventional western here.

I guess it may have been Craig and Ford's strong performances that made it work for me. That and the decision to cast Olivia Wilde as a partly emotionally distant space alien - which fits her acting range perfectly....:icon_mrgreen:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Surprised me too actually. While I like some westerns (for example "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" is IMHO the best western ever made) I perfectly understand Rac's comment that the plot here was on the level of one of the old western TV shows. And like I said, you could substitute a large band of well armed bandits for the aliens and have a totally conventional western here.

I guess it may have been Craig and Ford's strong performances that made it work for me. That and the decision to cast Olivia Wilde as a partly emotionally distant space alien - which fits her acting range perfectly....:icon_mrgreen:
bolded is actually what killed it for me as i wouldnt call either a strong performance instead id rather classify them as weak especially fords whos acting nowdays and in general is a bit iffy at best.

naw this movie is flat and boring!
and i def see why it failed at the box office and to this day it has only barly managed to break even.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was curious so I just did a blow by of reviews for the film. Mostly they are middle of the road but they pretty much all were quite positive about Craig and Ford's performances.

If I were to list things it does wrong, number one is that the Aliens are basically just a CGI script element - they don't feel like authentic beings but rather video game adversaries. Number two is an outgrowth of number one - because the aliens don't feel like authentic beings their whole presence in the movie does not feel natural - as observed earlier one could easily have removed the aliens and substituted a large, well armed gang of outlaws and filmed essentially the same film (with a lot less CGI though).

As to box office, there were two factors at work here. One was the marketing was awful for the film - it contextualized the movie completely wrong and made it look like something it wasn't (an old west "independence day"). The other is that these scifi/western mashups always tend to do bad at the box-office (Jonah Hex, Wild Wild West).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This movie was fun. I thought it was okay for what it was.

Okay, I just finished watching this movie minutes ago. The verdict? NOT BAD. Not stellar by any means, and for some fun and lighthearted cowboys and alien action, and it passes for me. :) I somehow dont think in any way that this movie should be taken as serious science fiction, but more of an action parody/drama western with some aliens sprinkled in. Swap out any US Forts of the 1800s with the alien ship in the movie, and you have it. :anim_59:. I found it fun and entertaining. The CGI was not overdone, in fact it seemed to be balanced very well with the other traditional western adventure elements of the movie. The cowboys were believable, with no special weapons or magic amulets or ghosts anywhere to be found. The Indians were also convincing for this western theme. The character of the hard headed cowboy played by Harrison Ford was acceptable because they cast him as the rugged "old man". The other roles were weak too, including the son and the little boy and the barkeeper's wife. But like I said, this movie seemed to me to be as shallow as a rain puddle, but fun nonetheless.

I recommend it for ligtweight fun. Not much to eyeroll at. Just smile maybe. Just my opinion. :moon:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, I just finished watching this movie minutes ago. The verdict? NOT BAD. Not stellar by any means, and for some fun and lighthearted cowboys and alien action, and it passes for me. :) I somehow dont think in any way that this movie should be taken as serious science fiction, but more of an action parody/drama western with some aliens sprinkled in. Swap out any US Forts of the 1800s with the alien ship in the movie, and you have it. :anim_59:. I found it fun and entertaining. The CGI was not overdone, in fact it seemed to be balanced very well with the other traditional western adventure elements of the movie. The cowboys were believable, with no special weapons or magic amulets or ghosts anywhere to be found. The Indians were also convincing for this western theme. The character of the hard headed cowboy played by Harrison Ford was acceptable because they cast him as the rugged "old man". The other roles were weak too, including the son and the little boy and the barkeeper's wife. But like I said, this movie seemed to me to be as shallow as a rain puddle, but fun nonetheless.

I recommend it for ligtweight fun. Not much to eyeroll at. Just smile maybe. Just my opinion. :moon:

Exactamundo! It's a fun piece of lightweight entertainment. And I also liked the Indians in the film. Really the only characters that weren't somewhat weak were Ford's, Craig's and the preacher who died about midway through. That's not to say those were deep or strong characters but they did have more than one dimension.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactamundo! It's a fun piece of lightweight entertainment. And I also liked the Indians in the film. Really the only characters that weren't somewhat weak were Ford's, Craig's and the preacher who died about midway through. That's not to say those were deep or strong characters but they did have more than one dimension.

HA! I just watched it again! :) This would be a fun rewatch. :shep_lol: