Cowboys and Aliens Trailer

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My eye doctor did the contact lenses for that movie.

It's always fun to see what he's been working on lately, and a downright giggle when I'm in his office while an actor is there being fitted for whatever. :)

He also did the contacts for the new movie "Priest" (about which I know nothing else).

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just saw it last night and it was not bad at all . Nice to see a new idea coming out of hollyweird . :thoranime12:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
That was pretty fun. The ending dragged on a bit and got too derivative with the aliens vs. humans with common resolve. lol, I liked how he was pushing around Percy at the beginning, was hilarious.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
He's fast becoming an action star but not crappy action movies but pretty good ones. I liked the mix of the cowboy western with alien elements. Was hoping firefly would have some aliens at some point.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just got to see this - surprisingly good.

The plot was pretty simple but also consistently presented - nothing just "happened"; no deus ex machines or other such.

SFX was good quality and the action was well choreographed. Characters were decently written and actually had arcs.

Acting wise, Daniel Craig was very good in his role. He brought a "tough guy with a heart" persona to the role that suited it well. Harrison Ford was great as the cattleman who starts out as a bad guy but throughout the film eventually changes. Most of the supporting actors were also good. Olivia Wilde was good playing an emotionally sort of distant alien (unsurprising because that is what she comes across like in all her parts - so hats off to Jon Favreau for recognizing it and directing her appropriately). Overall the whole cast put a higher caliber of acting into this than you typically get in action blockbusters.

Not the best picture of all time but a solid, entertaining film.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have wanted to see this!

Just got to see this - surprisingly good.

The plot was pretty simple but also consistently presented - nothing just "happened"; no deus ex machines or other such.

SFX was good quality and the action was well choreographed. Characters were decently written and actually had arcs.

Acting wise, Daniel Craig was very good in his role. He brought a "tough guy with a heart" persona to the role that suited it well. Harrison Ford was great as the cattleman who starts out as a bad guy but throughout the film eventually changes. Most of the supporting actors were also good. Olivia Wilde was good playing an emotionally sort of distant alien (unsurprising because that is what she comes across like in all her parts - so hats off to Jon Favreau for recognizing it and directing her appropriately). Overall the whole cast put a higher caliber of acting into this than you typically get in action blockbusters.

Not the best picture of all time but a solid, entertaining film.

So it was good? Is this available on video or streaming online yet? I kinda thought it might be good, and I dont mean spectactular, just entertaining and enjoyable enough to watch it entirely. :) I even like the title. Did it have a good story? Well developed characters? I never even read reviews on it.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
wait whaaat? joel you hate on john carter but like this? woooow....

ok imo this movie is WORSE then john carter...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The movie had potential but, IMO, fell flat. By the end of the movie, I was "meh"'ing the whole drive home. I caught it at a double-feature drive-in from the comfort of my car.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So it was good? Is this available on video or streaming online yet? I kinda thought it might be good, and I dont mean spectactular, just entertaining and enjoyable enough to watch it entirely. :) I even like the title. Did it have a good story? Well developed characters? I never even read reviews on it.

Like I said, to me it was a solid, entertaining film. Not necessarily something to see over and over again but not trash either.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is it Netflix worthy?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sure. Netflix worthy.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
okay I thought this movie was horrible, stupid, dumb, need I go on? it was all SFX no story/plot. Just awful. I feel cheated even though I didn't pay to see it- we borrowed it from a friend. where do I go to get my time (and lost brain cells) back? :beckett_new050:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Guess we just will disagree.

It did have a plot, just a very simplistic one. And there were storylines within the plot, for one redemption stories for both Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford's characters. Plus the base of the movie is still a western and the plot and characters were all western archetypes. Substitute a large gang of mean and powerful bandits for the aliens and the same basic story can still be used.

If you don't care for westerns then this film will tick you off no end.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
wait whaaat? joel you hate on john carter but like this? woooow....

ok imo this movie is WORSE then john carter...

Just a difference of opinion Omni. Like I said, I wouldn't give this thing an oscar but to me it was solid.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Guess we just will disagree.

It did have a plot, just a very simplistic one. And there were storylines within the plot, for one redemption stories for both Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford's characters. Plus the base of the movie is still a western and the plot and characters were all western archetypes. Substitute a large gang of mean and powerful bandits for the aliens and the same basic story can still be used.

If you don't care for westerns then this film will tick you off no end.

I love a good western...this wasn't. it reminded me of the old serial shorts from the 40's. I just have a differing opinion than yours my friend. :) but then my favorite westerns starred John Wayne!