Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
She's a Maine Coon. ;)

Have you introduced her to the other two cats?

This is a Maine Coon like her all grown up.

download.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Siete sleeping next to me. Taken just now.

DSC_0022.JPG

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
She was introduced to the other cats right away. But they are keeping their distance so far. The little one obviously wants to play but the others don't. She keeps chasing Qetesh around the house. There's a bit of hissing now and then but getting less and less. At the beginning it came mostly from her. Ba'al and Qetesh have been quite tolerant from the start but when Osiris gets too close they draw a line. I'm hopeful that a week from now they might be good to snuggle up and maybe they'll even play with her if we're lucky. She's a furry little ball of energy that one. Nothing but play play play. Supposedly cats sleep 18 hours a day but with this one it's like she plays 18 hours a day. She was also instantly used to us and our environment which surprised the hell out of me. Normally it takes a while for cats to get used to a new environment and people, but not this one.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
She was introduced to the other cats right away. But they are keeping their distance so far. The little one obviously wants to play but the others don't. She keeps chasing Qetesh around the house. There's a bit of hissing now and then but getting less and less. At the beginning it came mostly from her. Ba'al and Qetesh have been quite tolerant from the start but when Osiris gets too close they draw a line. I'm hopeful that a week from now they might be good to snuggle up and maybe they'll even play with her if we're lucky. She's a furry little ball of energy that one. Nothing but play play play. Supposedly cats sleep 18 hours a day but with this one it's like she plays 18 hours a day. She was also instantly used to us and our environment which surprised the hell out of me. Normally it takes a while for cats to get used to a new environment and people, but not this one.

Maine Coons are silly and very "doglike". They are also irritatingly intelligent. You might find that she behaves quite differently than Baal or Quetesh. :) But they are so loving and sweet. She is such a beauty! You are making me want to get another Maine Coon for Siete.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So Osiris went to the vet today and turned out to be a boy, so now HE is named Apophis.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So Osiris went to the vet today and turned out to be a boy, so now HE is named Apophis.

That is even better! The male of all cat species is more affectionate (and more active) than the females. I envy you...I wish I had gotten Siete when he was a kitten. But I did raise my very first cat Felix from a kitten so I know you have a handful! Oh, and Maine Coons are known for being very vocal. I get an earful from Siete every night. I think he is trying to tell me what he has been doing all day when I was gone or something. :anim_59:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So far this one is not yet as vocal as the others. Particularly Qetesh is quite vocal. Especially now she's in heat.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So far this one is not yet as vocal as the others. Particularly Qetesh is quite vocal. Especially now she's in heat.

Wait, she isn't spayed? :( Did you get her from a rescue or a breeder or a pet store? In the US, rescues and pet stores are required to neuter and spay. But not breeders.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Wait, she isn't spayed? :( Did you get her from a rescue or a breeder or a pet store? In the US, rescues and pet stores are required to neuter and spay. But not breeders.
Qetesh and Ba'al came from a farm in the Netherlands. Not breeders. Just people who have cats, probably to help keep vermin away. They had several litters at the same time. Too many kittens.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Qetesh and Ba'al came from a farm in the Netherlands. Not breeders. Just people who have cats, probably to help keep vermin away. They had several litters at the same time. Too many kittens.

Osiris looks almost purebred. :) Siete has a little bit of Persian in him, so his ear tufts are not as pronounced like they are in Osiris. One of his parents was a Persian/Maine Coon mix, but the other parent was a purebred. Even neutered, he still yowls at female cats and would probably mount one if he could get at them. :anim_59:. In a year's time, Osiris will be larger than Qetesh, and in 2 years he will be as big as Baal. In 3 years he will be bigger than both of them. Maine Coons are the largest domestic cat breed.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It's Apophis now. ;)

Both parents had a purebred Maine Coon lineage I think, though the mother looked like shit, the poor thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's Apophis now. ;)

Both parents had a purebred Maine Coon lineage I think, though the mother looked like shit, the poor thing.

It looks like that. Funny how the hardiness of Maine Coons and Norweigan Forest Cats allow even ferals to easily survive cold winters and living outside. They are fishing cats, so they do not have to worry much about finding birds, although they are excellent hunters of birds and mice too.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Siete sleeping next to me. Taken just now.

View attachment 35085

i just realized, he and one of our grand daughters cats- Spot (4 yr old naming process)- are dead ringers for one another

Spot's brother has the same pattern of color boundary but is gray rather then black

they are both fairly big (relative to cats) as well and less then a yr old

remind me, is it a certain breeds that have this pattern of color and mid length fur or is it random across many breeds?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
R.I.P Stewie

world record holding largest maine coon at 48.5 inches in length

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i just realized, he and one of our grand daughters cats- Spot (4 yr old naming process)- are dead ringers for one another

Spot's brother has the same pattern of color boundary but is gray rather then black

they are both fairly big (relative to cats) as well and less then a yr old

remind me, is it a certain breeds that have this pattern of color and mid length fur or is it random across many breeds?

The color patterns can be random, but physical and fur traits are somewhat breed specific. If you look at Lord Ba'al's picture of his new Maine Coon Apophis, you will notice those ear tufts. The more purebred Maine Coons and Norweigan Forest cats are, the more pronounced those ear tufts. Siete has them, but they are not as pronounced because he has a bit of Persian in him from his mother who was a Persian/Maine Coon mix (his dad was a Maine Coon purebred). The Maine Coon is also the largest domestic cat breed. Their behaviors are also breed specific. Maine Coons and Norweigan Forest cats LOVE water. They will explore shallow puddles, and if given the chance, they will sometimes go for a swim in a pool or jump in your bathtub as you are running the water. They look down in the water as if looking for fish, and in the wild they fish for themselves. Other cats do not do this.They also have tufts of hair between the toes of each paw to help tread through snow.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They look down in the water as if looking for fish, and in the wild they fish

remember i put up pics of those trees i dropped in the river behind my house?

some ppl trapping this yr found that a pair of bobcats (they almost always occupy a territory in pairs) were using one of those trees to go out into the river and sit over the water and fish

they got one of them by following their patters and setting traps nearby

hard to believe there are predators even as big as a bobcat, in the small space of land behind my house and before the river. (pic is not me :) )
upload_2019-2-20_3-49-35.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
remember i put up pics of those trees i dropped in the river behind my house?

some ppl trapping this yr found that a pair of bobcats (they almost always occupy a territory in pairs) were using one of those trees to go out into the river and sit over the water and fish

they got one of them by following their patters and setting traps nearby

hard to believe there are predators even as big as a bobcat, in the small space of land behind my house and before the river. (pic is not me :) )
View attachment 35100

Is that bobcat alive in the photo? I hope so. :(. Here are a couple of Maine Coons showing how they react to water:

This one swims in a pool.

This one just likes to chill in the water.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Is that bobcat alive in the photo?

are you serious now? :) :)

i say this with 'love" so dont take it wrong--

you cant hold a wild bobcat!!! :)

maybe if it has been raised and fed by hand from birth-- or drugged

and these things eat cats and small domestic dogs

now that i know these things are back there and most likely the apex predator here, i know that it is they who are responsible for killing so many of the domestic cats that we have had over the yrs who lived outside

they will come up on people's porches and decks and kill and try to take away a dog that has been let out

and, the fact that so many have done some serious ankle and leg biting to people out walking, especially right before or at dawn. it is no epidemic to be sure, but it does happen. so many are being born and choosing to live near town, it is a more and more common occurrence

our dcnr and game commission SHOULD BE creating better habitats (rock or log hides) for them and cultivating more wooded areas to grow the underbrush and berries that feed their natural prey like squirrel, rabbit and other small animals

but they do not

the media makes it out to be only the rabid ones, but if you scare one in ambush, it will attack you