GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::laughing::lol:

32236-grumpy-cat-judging-everyone-in-6j5k.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That mama cat was acting in an expected fashion for cats. I have three male cats, so I have not personally experienced it (never owned a female cat). But I remember as a kid the neighbor's cat had kittens under his house, and she (the female kitty mama) was holding down the vent entrance to under the house. You would only hear the growling, howling noises coming from the dark as you came closer to the vent, then suddenly she would jump out, hissing and swiping. I thought it was kinda funny but she meant business. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Cats are very affectionate. People who claim they are aloof and only want food are crazy. This is my cat Dante. Both Siete and Dante (my original cats) are lovebugs. Both love to cuddle and are super friendly. But Dante ADORES me. He needs to be everywhere I am, and he loves to sleep cradled under my arm or curled up across my legs or sitting in my lap. Lately, he has taken to snuggling up to me when I am typing on my computers. Here he is "owning" me while I type on the livingroom computer.

20150609_194528_Dante.jpg

He has to also own my clothes and shoes and even my mail. :) As soon as I take my shoes off, he seizes them and lays across them. My jacket better be hung up, because if I toss it across the bed he will immediately plop down on it and own it. When I bring the mail in, he has to lay across all of it even if it means he has to extend his arms or legs to touch every piece of mail.

I love this cat. :) Even though he is 8 years old, he meows like a kitten and I find him adorable.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, here it is three years after starting this thread, and in that time I have been integrating three cats into my apartment. The two who were friends, the ones I planned for...and then Fisher who came a few months later as an emergency adoption. :) The thread talks about the fights, the hiding and establishing territories and such.

Three cats, Siete (the 7 toed cat and the alpha), Dante, (the cat with a weight problem), and Fisher (the cat who grew up alone). All three cats are neutered males and all are 8 years old from different litters. Breeds are Maine Coon (Siete), Burmese (Fisher), and Domestic shorthair (Dante).

After all the fights, howling and hissing and avoiding, they are all getting along fine. Dante is the black and white cat on the left, Fisher is the black cat and Siete is on top of the cat tree.

mythreeboys.jpg

And Fisher, whose very first reaction to me petting him resulted in a full puncture hand bleeding wound, has become a lovebug. He and Siete are friends now, and they gently touch noses every time they meet.

But what made me write this post is that Fisher did something amazing which he has never done. He always liked to be near me, but he did not want to be right next to me and never on my lap. He does not love to be picked up either. We were playing with the wand toy, as usual right after around 8pm when the cats eat. I put the toy away and sat on the couch and Fisher just jumped on there right next to me and went to sleep on me in minutes, purring the whole time.

WHAT?! A first! After three years?

suddentrust.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I did not mention it on this thread, but two months ago Siete hurt his back (I was at work). I came home and he was not in the window perch. I went in the bedroom and he was on the floor, and would groan and growl when he moved, but not out of anger but from pain. His tail was dead limp. I took him to the vet and they said he had fallen from something and landed on his tailbone (probably fell off the perch when sleeping). When he walked, his tail was completely limp, dragging along behind him. :(

Well, this lasted for two weeks and I thought his tail was paralysed, but then one morning I see Siete laying in the sun on the floor, and the tip of his tail was flicking! Not paralysed. For a month, he would groan when standing up, and he would not consider climbing or jumping. Over the past month, I have been trying to help him by adding steps or ramps to help him get up on stuff. He wasnt jumping, so I assumed he lost that ability in the accident. He would not even jump if there were treats on the perch.

Okay, moments ago, he suddenly started trotting around the house, tail held high. And he JUMPED up on the table! Then he jumped from the table to the couch a couple of times. :joy::joy::joy: I put him on the floor and he jumped back up again. :) However, he is still not jumping up to his perch. But now I am confident he will be able to do that soon as well.

Had to share this, because I was not looking forward to caring for a disabled cat even though I would do anything for the big guy. He is recovering, and the vet says he just needs time to get back to his old self. YAY!

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Cats are amazingly resilient.

Cedric, (My daughters cat) gets into fights ALL the time and comes home limping, or bleeding with puncture wounds on his tail, or hind legs all the bloody time. We used to take him to the vet at every turn, but these days we just clean the wounds ourselves, wipe out the blood or what have you and keep him indoors for a few day for him to recover. If it gets infected, we still take him to the vet, but after so much time you just know what to look for.

Never underestimate a cat. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Cedric, (My daughters cat) gets into fights ALL the time and comes home limping, or bleeding with puncture wounds on his tail, or hind legs all the bloody time. We used to take him to the vet at every turn, but these days we just clean the wounds ourselves, wipe out the blood or what have you and keep him indoors for a few day for him to recover. If it gets infected, we still take him to the vet, but after so much time you just know what to look for.

I just cant let my cats out :) The only one that wants to go out is Siete and he cries and cries until I let him out. I do, but only supervised. I take my vape out and he dutifully follows me and stays close when we are on our adventure. :) He actually comes when I call him, like a dog. My neighbors get a kick out of seeing that, and they love him too. I would be devastated if he came home like that! His previous owner let him out daily but Im not having any of that. :eusa_snooty: Too much car traffic, too many people who walk dogs, too many neighbors with gardens they protect. My first cat Felix was killed because of the outdoors, and as I once told Lit, I was so traumatized by that I told myself I would never allow myself to be owned by another cat. That was more than 30 years ago!

Now, I have THREE! They are my roomates. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Hey, do you guys have fleas in Australia? Maybe a dumb question. :) If so, what is your remedy? I have a good remedy but it involves chemicals like Insect Growth Regulator and Precor products (strong stuff). I just bought some diatomaceous earth and a double row flea comb.

You should post a pic of Cedric!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I just cant let my cats out :) The only one that wants to go out is Siete and he cries and cries until I let him out. I do, but only supervised. I take my vape out and he dutifully follows me and stays close when we are on our adventure. :) He actually comes when I call him, like a dog. My neighbors get a kick out of seeing that, and they love him too. I would be devastated if he came home like that! His previous owner let him out daily but Im not having any of that. :eusa_snooty: Too much car traffic, too many people who walk dogs, too many neighbors with gardens they protect. My first cat Felix was killed because of the outdoors, and as I once told Lit, I was so traumatized by that I told myself I would never allow myself to be owned by another cat. That was more than 30 years ago!

Now, I have THREE! They are my roomates. :)

I think we probably -could- take Cedric for a walk like that, no need for a leash or anything and he would come when called, but no matter what you want to believe about your 3 owners, they -WILL- do what they want if given the chance, and I can't bring myself to stop him as he knows what he is doing.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Hey, do you guys have fleas in Australia? Maybe a dumb question. :) If so, what is your remedy? I have a good remedy but it involves chemicals like Insect Growth Regulator and Precor products (strong stuff). I just bought some diatomaceous earth and a double row flea comb.
A purely natural remedy?
Cedar wood shaving's are supposed to be good, acting like camphor balls to silverfish, but if the infestation gets bad, you will need chemicals unfortunately.
You should post a pic of Cedric!
I'll see If I have one, he actually does not give his photo's justice. He is a short hair domestic who weigh's in at 8.2 kilo's (around 18 pounds) but there is very little fat on him, he is just a big lad!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A purely natural remedy?
Cedar wood shaving's are supposed to be good, acting like camphor balls to silverfish, but if the infestation gets bad, you will need chemicals unfortunately.

I'll see If I have one, he actually does not give his photo's justice. He is a short hair domestic who weigh's in at 8.2 kilo's (around 18 pounds) but there is very little fat on him, he is just a big lad!

Hey, watching my "cow cat" (my affectionate nickname for Dante) waddle around will make your cat seem small. :) He is around 20 pounds right now and I am still feeding him a diet. He was losing weight, but he is now binging on the (very healthy) grain free kibble. He is fat because he eats too much!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Cedric is big, cause he eats birds.............. :P

Shyla is more of a killer however. If she was a human, you would be crossing the street if she looked at you..........

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Milestone today. I mentioned that Siete who had seriously hurt his tailbone was not jumping on his perch. Well, He did it today. He has been jumping up on the (low) table, but he was still not jumping on his favorite perch. I was sitting watching him as he surveyed the jump, then he did it. He jumped on the first level, then the second level to his perch.

:anim_19::smiley_joy:

You were right, the resilience of this cat brought him back. :) It has been almost two months since the accident. I will never know how he hurt himself. :( This means that all the little ramps and boxes and stuff I have been putting around to help him get up on things can go!

Now, if I can break his bad habit of immediately jumping into the laundry basket with my still warm and neatly folded clothes from the dryer...:rolleye0014: :cat:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Milestone today. I mentioned that Siete who had seriously hurt his tailbone was not jumping on his perch. Well, He did it today. He has been jumping up on the (low) table, but he was still not jumping on his favorite perch. I was sitting watching him as he surveyed the jump, then he did it. He jumped on the first level, then the second level to his perch.

:anim_19::smiley_joy:

You were right, the resilience of this cat brought him back. :) It has been almost two months since the accident. I will never know how he hurt himself. :( This means that all the little ramps and boxes and stuff I have been putting around to help him get up on things can go!
Be aware bro, when we "home helped" Cedric, we had to squeeze out puss, wash and dress his wounds, and basically fix him up ourselves to a degree, you can't just "let it happen"
I mean, sure, you can, and cats will deal with it, but they will never be 100% if they break something, they will just overcome it instead.

Now, if I can break his bad habit of immediately jumping into the laundry basket with my still warm and neatly folded clothes from the dryer...:rolleye0014: :cat:
It's warm and smells like you?
Not gonna happen dude, not gonna happen :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only wild cat that can be taken from the wild as an ADULT and still be fully tamed is the Cheetah. Amongst wild cats, Cheetahs are the closest to domestic cats, and they were kept as pets by both the ancient Egyptians and Arabs later.

Cheetahs are the only large cat that regularly purrs in the same fashion as a domestic cat (you can hear them purr in this video). In the wild cat world, they are much lower in the food chain than say, a lion or a tiger. They do not have a "killer instinct" and will not hunt unless taught by their mother. They are kept at pets under strict circumstances which define how much free land you have, background, etc. I want one. :)

Here is a great little vid about a lioness saved by a guy.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Those kitty's are cute until they kinda get hungry ...Feed them well ... Not sure I would have the balls to snuggle one of those big felines .

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Those kitty's are cute until they kinda get hungry ...Feed them well ... Not sure I would have the balls to snuggle one of those big felines .

:) :) :)

If I raised them from cubs, I would not be afraid at all. Unlike canines who might even attack their parents for stature within a pack, felines bond with their feline friends and siblings in a way different way. And humans (or other animals).

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I am huge animal lover. My ex has my dog, and his dog and our two cats. I miss them but they were all his too and they live in same big house with big yard and their people and each other, so I just get "virtual visitation" with them.

Before we left NL we got two adorable farm kittens. They have grown into sweet fun loyal fur babies. They are brother and sister and boy is fixed. Their paws do not touch outside ever, they are pure inside cats. My girl is tiny for a full grown and very pretty mostly white with some black and he is mighty and strong and adorable mostly black with some white. They act more like dogs, most days I have at least one by my side. On the few sunny days here, they will leave me for a windowsill.

She sits in front of TV when you watch it for attention and he piddles in bathtub. Not sure why they crave attention, someone is giving it to them non stop most days. They are just hugely attached to their humans and they love each other as well. So cute to watch them sleep cuddled together on foot of bed each night. They are awesome cats.