Can I still download Windows 7?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I had to buy a new hard drive because my old one went kaput. I am now in search of an operating system for it that I can download. I really don't want 10 or 8. I prefer 7. Anyone know if there is somewhere that sells a legitimate windows 7, with key, that I can buy by download? I have a US bank account still and a VPN so a USA site is fine. I just want to make sure it's legit and I can pay by CC and download it. If forced to buy 8, I can deal and just update to 10. Any ideas other than Amazon or Ebay?

we bought a w7 key-legit,still in original wrapping, on amazon last year

all worked well until the pc went to total hell again

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and just a "sidenote" on 7 since i am reminded

some PC companies (HP for one) as been selling all in ones and laptops with windows 10 installed

we bought one and noticed that the all in one wasn't really working like a new pc should\ was also having trouble with the usb ports (the aux ones, not the ones that come straight off the motherboard), sometimes they would work, sometimes not

i called HP and they did a remote look at the machine to check for other,warrantied issues,none found

so i took it to my pc guy who fixes pc's and laptops, and builds some super cool (liquid cooled) gaming towers,etc

he found that the machine was actually a Windows 7 machine, the full 7 was installed-in the background is how he said it-with just a incomplete version of 10 on it

he said they do this to cut costs,etc

he wiped the entire drive and installed a full version of 10--no more issues. he said that having 7 and 10 on at the same time was causing some conflict that was causing slow sppeds and the USB failures

haven't had an issue since

i probably used some of the wrong terminology,but, you should get my point being the Computer tech genius' you all are!
:biggrin: :beckett_new049:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
and just a "sidenote" on 7 since i am reminded

some PC companies (HP for one) as been selling all in ones and laptops with windows 10 installed

we bought one and noticed that the all in one wasn't really working like a new pc should\ was also having trouble with the usb ports (the aux ones, not the ones that come straight off the motherboard), sometimes they would work, sometimes not

i called HP and they did a remote look at the machine to check for other,warrantied issues,none found

so i took it to my pc guy who fixes pc's and laptops, and builds some super cool (liquid cooled) gaming towers,etc

he found that the machine was actually a Windows 7 machine, the full 7 was installed-in the background is how he said it-with just a incomplete version of 10 on it

he said they do this to cut costs,etc

he wiped the entire drive and installed a full version of 10--no more issues. he said that having 7 and 10 on at the same time was causing some conflict that was causing slow speeds and the USB failures

haven't had an issue since

i probably used some of the wrong terminology,but, you should get my point being the Computer tech genius' you all are!
:biggrin: :beckett_new049:

:) Your guy was talking nonsense. You cannot have Windows 7 "installed in the background". Windows 7 and Windows 10 cannot co-exist, and NEITHER operating system is going to cause any "conflicts" with your USB ports. Those are activated and controlled using drivers associated with your hardware, and the only issues that can happen there are if the wrong drivers are used. The USB ports will work or they wont, and Windows will tell you why in the Event Viewer and Error Logs.

HP is known worldwide for installing bloatware and tracking software. Stuff like HP Customer Experience, HP Remote Assistant. HP Driver Manager, and tons of other shit they load it up with. A surgical removal of that junk would have given you the same result as wiping the drive which is the simpleminded approach that Geek Squad and Apple use to "fix" stuff.

Just sayin....

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
:) Your guy was talking nonsense. You cannot have Windows 7 "installed in the background". Windows 7 and Windows 10 cannot co-exist, and NEITHER operating system is going to cause any "conflicts" with your USB ports. Those are activated and controlled using drivers associated with your hardware, and the only issues that can happen there are if the wrong drivers are used. The USB ports will work or they wont, and Windows will tell you why in the Event Viewer and Error Logs.

HP is known worldwide for installing bloatware and tracking software. Stuff like HP Customer Experience, HP Remote Assistant. HP Driver Manager, and tond of other shit they load it up with. A surgical removqal of that junk would have given you the same result as wiping the drive which is the simpleminded approach that Geek Squad and Apple use to "fix" stuff.

Just sayin....
i did not have a full version of 10

i can not remember where we found the 7 at, but it was on there

i try to get a hold of him tomorrow and get the actual "techno speak" for you :)

you guys always miss my caveats! :) like i said, i probably used the wrong terms and sent the whole meaning of the post to hell

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I really prefer not to have 10 since I don't want all the spyware it has on it. I love my Windows just the way it is. Each passing month it seems more and more people are looking for Windows 7 and it becomes less available since Microsoft no longer supports the sale of it. This being said, I would rather have 10 than 8, I hate 8.

I'm going to go ahead and try to buy that Windows 7 I found on Amazon UK as soon as I can. It comes in the disc so I should be able to just boot from the CD and off I go. I also now know to always email myself the windows key for all computers I have so that this will never happen again if my stickers gets worn off.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I really prefer not to have 10 since I don't want all the spyware it has on it. I love my Windows just the way it is. Each passing month it seems more and more people are looking for Windows 7 and it becomes less available since Microsoft no longer supports the sale of it. This being said, I would rather have 10 than 8, I hate 8.

I'm going to go ahead and try to buy that Windows 7 I found on Amazon UK as soon as I can. It comes in the disc so I should be able to just boot from the CD and off I go. I also now know to always email myself the windows key for all computers I have so that this will never happen again if my stickers gets worn off.

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft's OS has become a spyware vehicle. Windows 10 is so ridden with it you can't turn it off without breaking it. To be fair, Google Chrome is just as guilty, but it's just a browser, and it uses it's spyware for advertising and gathering metrics. Microsoft is a whole operating system. They want your keystrokes, your voiceprints, your wifi passwords and all contacts PLUS all your browsing data.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
i did not have a full version of 10

i can not remember where we found the 7 at, but it was on there

He was probably talking about the recovery partition. New PCs and laptops no longer deliver OS on portable media. Instead, they have a hidden recovery partition on your HD that contains the full Windows installation adapted to the manufacturer's hardware with full drivers.

Your system will auto-update back to Windows 10. It's just a matter of time.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

This is all for naught because your Windows will auto-update to 10 at some point. Microsoft rolled out some updates to older Windows versions that forces the update, removing the choice from the user's hands.

The only Windows versions that I'm aware of that will not auto-update are the enterprise versions but OM1 is better versed and more up to date on that stuff.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is all for naught because your Windows will auto-update to 10 at some point. Microsoft rolled out some updates to older Windows versions that forces the update, removing the choice from the user's hands.

The only Windows versions that I'm aware of that will not auto-update are the enterprise versions but OM1 is better versed and more up to date on that stuff.

Windows 10 will not only auto update, but you have no choice. :) Microsoft has taken the choice away from you.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

HP is known worldwide for installing bloatware and tracking software. Stuff like HP Customer Experience, HP Remote Assistant. HP Driver Manager, and tons of other shit they load it up with. A surgical removal of that junk would have given you the same result as wiping the drive which is the simpleminded approach that Geek Squad and Apple use to "fix" stuff.

Just sayin....

ok, talked to him

i wrote down the "geek-speak" so as not to mis- word anything :) :

it was under my "c" drive

(you know, in the "tree thing" :) )

it was in a folder (the thing that actually looks like a little manilla folder) labeled "windows old"

he told me that the W10 loaded on that pc for sale purposes was a "upgrade of 7 to 10 that was done without a full install of W10"

----------------------------
he said he has seen this a few times with machines sold by HP and DELL especially with 10 and some machines that had a 7 upgrade to 8 on them

all done so the machines could be legitimately marketed with a "loaded with windows 10 (8)" label on the box

said it also seems that most of the pc's were bought at BEST BUY, OFFICE DEPOT OR WALMART

-------------------------

I know that this probably would not happen to you as you probably do not buy your PC's from any of these outlets, but, the "issue (such as it is)" does exist

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Hmmmm. That sucks. This one has not, this one is a few years older. I went into the updates and changed the settings and reversed much of the Spyware. Hopefully my VPN will block some of it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hmmmm. That sucks. This one has not, this one is a few years older. I went into the updates and changed the settings and reversed much of the Spyware. Hopefully my VPN will block some of it.

Sounds to me like you have become quite a geekette of late. :) In this forum in another thread, I have conveniently listed the "telemetry" updates which are the gatekeepers of the new features which lead to a forced upgrade to Windows 10. Remove those, and the other updates will not download or install because they are prerequisites to the later updates. Disable updates after removing, and you are safe. If you really want to be safe, then dump Windows altogether and install Linux Mint which is so much like Windows there is zero learning curve.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
When money becomes less of an option, I plan on replacing my laptop. I am thinking of an ASUS gaming computer but it does still have Windows. Also at that point I will re-install Windows 7 on it even if I have to wipe the hard drive to do it. LOL.

(I'm in final stages for several jobs so fingers crossed this band aid won't be needed for long.)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When money becomes less of an option, I plan on replacing my laptop. I am thinking of an ASUS gaming computer but it does still have Windows. Also at that point I will re-install Windows 7 on it even if I have to wipe the hard drive to do it. LOL.

(I'm in final stages for several jobs so fingers crossed this band aid won't be needed for long.)
If you are confident in what you are doing, then wiping and installing fresh is a wise move. However when you get to "download updates to Windows during installaton" or anything having to do with updates, do not allow until after Windows has finished installing. Then, update with "Download updates and allow me to choose what to install". Have your list of nasty KB updates and disable them or remove as necessary. Once you are running Service Pack 2 with clean updates, disable Windows Update and never re-enable it again. Personally, I like to disable the service in Services too. I even take Log On permissions away from the service. You also have to watch out for Office updates if you have anything past Office 2010. If you use Outlook 2010 or later, then also watch out if you have Skype installed because a bridge will be installed between Skype and Outlook which will allow it to share your contacts. Do not use Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials for your AV/Malware protection. Use something third party (as long as you don't use McAfee, Norton or Symantec products). Don't use Internet Explorer.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
How did this go?
So far, this has worked great. I woke up today and windows wanted to be activated again. I did what the instructions from the buyer said to do, and it successfully activated my windows key I bought. I stopped Windows Update from putting any of those updates on and several others I did want that I read about online and I did ten thousand other updates, then I hid all the bad updates.

My windows 7 professional seems fine, I put all my programs back on, turned on my VPN and Peer blocker and off I go with my fixed laptop. The other laptop has it's own hard drive put back into it and that booted back up with it's functioning Windows 7 Home edition. He even liked how easy it all was and bought himself a copy of Windows 7 Professional. His computer does not seem able to get any updates from Microsoft, it just spins and spins looking for days so I think he is going to re-install again, and if that does not work contact Microsoft to see why he can't get his updates to download at all.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Microsoft is the Caligula of operating systems:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...indows-10-upgrade-doesnt-stop-upgrade-process

Excerpt:

For months, Microsoft has been stepping up the pressure on users to upgrade to Windows 10. The company has multiple reasons for doing this — it wants to prevent a long tail of Windows 7 or 8.1 users from dragging out its support cycles (similar to what happened to Windows XP), it’s prominently pledged to hit one billion users on Windows 10, and it undoubtedly wants to push the market as a whole towards its new revenue model, which is much less focused on Windows 10 license sales, and more about advertising and in-OS content sales.

In keeping with this goal, Microsoft has steadily made it more difficult to opt out of Windows 10 upgrades. The company has reworked its installation messages to imply that consumers couldn’t opt out of upgrading, but clicking on the red “X” at the top right of those messages still canceled the process. According to reports streaming in from multiple sources online, Microsoft has changed this behavior. Clicking the X does nothing to stop the upgrade process now.

GWX-New-640x417.png

Literal standards vs. perceived dishonesty

Microsoft would undoubtedly argue that this change isn’t actually a change at all. There are many, many modern applications that don’t automatically exit when you click the “X” button — and Microsoft’s formal guidelines as far back as Windows 95 instructed developers that they should treat the X as a “Close” button, not an “Exit” button. The problem is, X generally is interpreted as exit, and there are plenty of Microsoft applications, including Office, Internet Explorer, and Edge, that still follow this behavior.

WHY anyone would ever trust Microsoft or defend their behaviors is beyond my understanding. Microsoft is determined to FORCE all Windows users to move to Windows 10 no matter what you want to do. If you refuse? Then (if you are not vigilant), recent updates will gut your Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 7 and "assimilate" it to make it run like Windows 10 (that is, it will add "telemetry" spyware and add tons new encrypted .dll files. This company relies upon MASSIVE investment in software by the US government and military. It's goals reach far beyond advertising (how does advertising benefit from knowing your voiceprint and keystrokes and scanning all your folders, including those you have assumed were private?

Last edited: